Is Patches Done As A Notable Goal Scorer?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I wasn't much of a fan of his before MTL traded him, but he was a very good goal scorer (during the regular season) for some time. From 2014-2017 he was fourth in the entire NHL in goals.

Last season he had a disappointing season, scoring just 17 goals and 37 points in 64 games. This season he has two goals and two points in 11 games so far. Are his days of being a prominent goal scorer over?

Reactions: jetsforever

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He isnt an effective player anymore

He waits others to feed him while he was skating to create his own chances in the past

Reactions: irunthepeg

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I'm not starting rumors but looking at him makes me think something has been wrong with him mentally for years now. He's just so uninvolved and uninspired. He's extremely different from when he entered the league. Another player completely... and not for the best. I do wish him the best because I enjoyed watching him a lot early in his carreer but the past 2 or 3 years were painful :(

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It’s somewhat hard not to flame people for posts like these.

Sample size of 13-15 games where he has 2 goals and maybe no assists from what I last saw. I bet there is 1 other period in his NHL career of similar production.

If he had a year, not 13 - 15 games, of really bad production, AND CONTINUES, yes, I will agree.

Other than that, complete overreactions to players are kinda out-of-hand in this place.

I see it a lot on here:

Chabot has a good week: “Next new elite Dman”
Does T10 draft pick not score 80 points: “BUST”
Prospect produces well at AHL level: “He has TONS of NHL value”

Some wild overreactions.

Sorry OP, not trying to flame you or attack you, just think these overreactions based on small sample sizes make the argument almost irrelevant.

Poor production and poor play... 100% correct, just not enough to justify dictating a claim like that.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I honestly wanted the habs to trade him a while ago. Didn’t like the direction his skating was going. Just seemed way to old for his age haha I dunno I knew he was gonna turn to dust. It’s not to late for him but I called it a while back

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think he's a better player than he is currently showing, and he'll get hot and go on a 5 game goal streak or something. It's what he does.

That being said, I don't think he is a 35+ goal guy anymore (which he did for those seasons nearly hitting 40 twice). I've watched him play a lot of games with the Habs over the years and there was a clear change in his style of play. His signature goals were always racing up ice on the rush and snapping a quick five hole shot.

He's never been elite on the cycle and making plays through traffic, but he's not winning those races as often for the chances on the rush, so he's not getting his clean looks. He still has a great shot, which is harder to lose which is why he'll still be a useful core piece for Vegas.

If I had to guess, I'd say he averages around 20-25 goals a year for the rest of his contract, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: zaqq

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
steak4.jpg

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
these overreactions based on small sample sizes

This year 2.5% on ice shot percentage is obviously a small sample aberration an he is not a 15 points players.

But is last season and the end + playoff of the season before that one were also quite poor, he has 20 goals on is last 96 nhl games, when he had 5 season in row scoring over 30, usually 35+.

The coaching staff of is team give him just a bit over 15 minutes a game also. For an high salary, just traded Top 6 winger, that does not look good.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It’s somewhat hard not to flame people for posts like these.

Sample size of 13-15 games where he has 2 goals and maybe no assists from what I last saw. I bet there is 1 other period in his NHL career of similar production.

If he had a year, not 13 - 15 games, of really bad production, AND CONTINUES, yes, I will agree.

Other than that, complete overreactions to players are kinda out-of-hand in this place.

I see it a lot on here:

Chabot has a good week: “Next new elite Dman”
Does T10 draft pick not score 80 points: “BUST”
Prospect produces well at AHL level: “He has TONS of NHL value”

Some wild overreactions.

Sorry OP, not trying to flame you or attack you, just think these overreactions based on small sample sizes make the argument almost irrelevant.

Poor production and poor play... 100% correct, just not enough to justify dictating a claim like that.

It's not a sample size of 13-15 games. He's got 19 goals and 20 assists in his last 75 games.

For the OP, I sure as hell hope that he is done.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He'll bounce back. I hate stuff like this. Guy had year after year of consistency and had a below average year last year and now isn't killing it in 11 games...c'mon

Tatar was thrown away by Vegas after a short sample too. Takes time.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You can say what you want about sample size but the bottom line is when you play 80 games and score 20 goals and 40 points it also means something and it can't be ignored. Pacioretty was an amazing player in Montreal for a while, but if you actually watch him play instead of looking at stats you start to understand that the stats are a result of the way he's been playing for over a full season now.

Max Pacioretty was once a dominating and fast two-way winger, one of the very best in the entire league. He was forcing plays on his own and making guys like Desharnais look like they belonged in the top 6. Last year Pacioretty was not that player at all. He was never engaged, rarely doing anything noticeable and waiting for the play to come to him. Pacioretty is at his best when he's skating and backchecking, these are things he is not doing. If he wants to be succesful again he needs to regroup and think about what made him succesful.

It wouldn't be the first time a player falls off a cliff ... See Bobby Ryan and Rick Nash. There's a point where you can argue that it's sample size, but sample size applies more when the player is playing well but the puck isn't going in. This is not the situation here. We have a player that's not recognizable... I'm not saying Pacioretty will never be the same player but the problem is not that it's a small sample size... It's the way he plays. If he continues to play that way it wont be long that the sample size will be large enough to make a significant conclusion.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This year 2.5% on ice shot percentage is obviously a small sample aberration an he is not a 15 points players.

But is last season and the end + playoff of the season before that one were also quite poor, he has 20 goals on is last 96 nhl games, when he had 5 season in row scoring over 30, usually 35+.

The coaching staff of is team give him just a bit over 15 minutes a game also. For an high salary, just traded Top 6 winger, that does not look good.
Using the sample size, given by OP; 17G/64GP = .265GPG.

Given 82 game season —> ~22 goals.

Over the 96 game stretch that totals 24 goals.

Over that same time period Patches still surpasses some bigger names like Brock Nelson, Voracek, Oshie, Toews, Mark Stone, Saad, and others while still being in the top 100 for GPG in the league.

It’s just a down stretch that’s being turned into something more than what it is.

Same thing when people freaked out about Giroux, Kessel, and similar stories as such. I just think “armchair analysts” and fans, myself included, tend to overrate good performances, and heavily overrate poor performances.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He was visibly done last season, already.

Once again a player got valued for his past merits rather than current play. Once again a mistake was made.

The funny thing is that he even was signed to that mammoth contract immediately even though they could have waited and seen whether Pacioretty can actually still score.

Well, at least he still is good for the "Spaghetti ready"-memes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Over that same time period Patches still surpasses some bigger names like Brock Nelson, Voracek, Oshie, Toews, Mark Stone, Saad, and others while still being in the top 100 for GPG in the league.

It’s just a down stretch that’s being turned into something more than what it is.

Same thing when people freaked out about Giroux, Kessel, and similar stories as such. I just think “armchair analysts” and fans, myself included, tend to overrate good performances, and heavily overrate poor performances.

james-franco-interview-eminem-confused-reaction-1421104858t.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Where is he passing Stone exactly?... i get your point about overeacting but some.of your comps are way off base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad