Is Ovechkin the greatest LW ever?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ovechkin will probably score 800 goals. I'm gonna go with yes. He and Bobby Hull are really close though. Could be a 1a and 1b type thing.

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
Ovi had a few shady seasons defensively, but earlier in his career he was a league leader in hits, as well as goals. He was the most dominate player at one time. I'd say it's too early to tell, but he very well could be the greatest LW of all time

People always say this when they really mean "dominant". It bothers me as much as the ridiculous "bias ref".

I think Ovechkin's early seasons help a huge amount because I just can't see him putting up points like that unless he gets some players on his line that can score a lot more goals. It's a shame his assist numbers are so low as of late compared to his goals because it would make him seem more well-rounded when just looking at numbers.

I think Ovechkin can pass Hull in goals if he just keeps up that ridiculous domination of the left circle and keep ripping one-timers. His speed may falter but if he keeps up his strength (and in turn, his shot) I can definitely see him passing 700 goals.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ovechkin relies on his physical talent to impose on the other team but it really isn't a big factor in how he scores most of his points. Sure, every once in a while he trucks someone on his way to a goal, but most of the time it's simply his ungodly shot and good playmaking skills.

I just dont see that one-timer going away any time soon.

The game has slowed down in the past 18 months as well. So while he's lost explosiveness, explosiveness doesn't matter quite as much as it did four or five years ago.

What matters now as much as anything is brute strength. And OV looks to have as much of that as any forward this side of Byfuglien. The way the present game is being played dovetails with his strengths.

Couple years ago, I thought he was poorly positioned to have a good back half to his career, but the way the game is officiated has pulled a 180 and now plays into the sorts of things a guy like him loses last. His shot isn't going anywhere and it isn't like he's gonna shrink.

Barring injuries, the guy's going to retire with 700 goals. Maybe 800 if he's lucky.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If Bret Hull could score 37 goals as a 38 year old back in 02-03 I think Ovechkin could as well at that age. Say he plays another 12 years which todays stars are better accustomed to doing (Selanne Jagr) that would give him a serious shot at breaking Gretzkys record (big if.. but injury permitting). He's a horse and on the power play especially hell remain unstoppable.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
A) Ovechkin is easily better than Robitaille.

B) He is no longer playing at the all-time great level he was his first 5 seasons (specifically 3-5) and unless he adapts his style and returns to that level he won't pass Hull.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Question - Would it help Ovie's case if, at some point, he were traded to another team and continued to put up these numbers?

It's fairly rare for someone to play their entire career for the same team. Does Ovechkin doing it kind of paint our opinions of him?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

B) He is no longer playing at the all-time great level he was his first 5 seasons (specifically 3-5) and unless he adapts his style and returns to that level he won't pass Hull.

A Rocket 3-peat if he wins it this year looks pretty all time great to me.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013

You haven't watched Ovi in a couple of seasons, have you?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It is too early to tell. If he scores 750 goals and picks up a few trophies before the end of his career (another Rocket, maybe a Hart) and wins the Cup, then yes, he could be the best LW of all time.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Goals since 05 Lockout:
1. Ovechkin 453
2. Iginla 326
3. Kovalchuk 309
4. Nash 307
5. Marleau 294
6. Staal 294
7. Heatley 292
8. Crosby 289
9. Vanek 287
10. Hossa 286

GPG since 05 Lockout:
1. Ovechkin 0.621
2. Stamkos 0.564
3. Kovalchuk 0.525
4. Crosby 0.485
5. Gaborik 0.483
6. Malkin 0.460
7. Nash 0.454
8. Iginla 0.444
9. Heatley 0.430
10. Hossa 0.425

that's 10 years. That's all time great level dominance.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
A Rocket 3-peat if he wins it this year looks pretty all time great to me.

His play has noticeably regressed. He no longer attacks the net or drives possession like he used to. Which has made his once excellent forechecking somewhat neutralized. And when his defensive play without the puck could be, at the best of times described as not a liability, then the its a big deal. He has failed to adapt his play and remain dynamic since the loss of his explosiveness. Instead taking his game to the perimeter and capitalizing on PP opportunities as they come. While still physical, he no longer possesses the ability to throw game-changing hits, due to forechecking/explosiveness regression. Stats may still look nice, but being a glorified Brett Hull leaves a lot to be desired.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
His play has noticeably regressed. He no longer attacks the net or drives possession like he used to. Which has made his once excellent forechecking somewhat neutralized. And when his defensive play without the puck could be, at the best of times described as not a liability, then the its a big deal. He has failed to adapt his play and remain dynamic since the loss of his explosiveness. Instead taking his game to the perimeter and capitalizing on PP opportunities as they come. While still physical, he no longer possesses the ability to throw game-changing hits, due to forechecking/explosiveness regression. Stats may still look nice, but being a glorified Brett Hull leaves a lot to be desired.

Have you watched him this year ? He's everywhere on the ice. He's become decent defensively, hustles on the forecheck and hits every thing he sees.

He has 17 ES goals and 14 PP goals.

Watch the games

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

Wait, you're saying he needs to return to prime Ovi (which is impossible, as no 29 year olds are still able to play like they did when they were 23) to pass Hull....... but then call him a "glorified Hull". So he is better than Hull?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Wait, you're saying he needs to return to prime Ovi (which is impossible, as no 29 year olds are still able to play like they did when they were 23) to pass Hull....... but then call him a "glorified Hull". So he is better than Hull?

I think you're confusing Bobby and Brett Hull. Brett is a RW, and Bobby is the LW and the one we're talking about.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

I think he's saying he's a glorified Bret Hull (like thats an insult :laugh:) and then saying he won't reach Bobby Hull.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Goals since 05 Lockout:
1. Ovechkin 453
2. Iginla 326
3. Kovalchuk 309
4. Nash 307
5. Marleau 294
6. Staal 294
7. Heatley 292
8. Crosby 289
9. Vanek 287
10. Hossa 286

GPG since 05 Lockout:
1. Ovechkin 0.621
2. Stamkos 0.564
3. Kovalchuk 0.525
4. Crosby 0.485
5. Gaborik 0.483
6. Malkin 0.460
7. Nash 0.454
8. Iginla 0.444
9. Heatley 0.430
10. Hossa 0.425

that's 10 years. That's all time great level dominance.
It's pretty freaking awesome. He's already a 1st round HOFer. Will he catch Hull? Maybe not but it isn't out of the question the way some people are talking.

As for the HFBoards history guys, I don't really agree with a lot of their rankings. Seventieslord (great poster and all around good guy) for example doesn't rank Richard as high as I would. I'd have Richard higher and Hull lower.

I don't know if OV breaks the top ten of all time, but he might have a shot and just to be able to say that tells you how good his career has been. No shame if he doesn't catch Hull...

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Despite the frequency with which Ovechkins decline has been predicted since well... his rookie year, I think he's going to age in a way that will allow him to remain a big time goal scorer. Kinda like Iginla who Ovechkin is better than.

Lurked4Yearz

Nov 23, 2011
Quebec
Despite the frequency with which Ovechkins decline has been predicted since well... his rookie year, I think he's going to age in a way that will allow him to remain a big time goal scorer. Kinda like Iginla who Ovechkin is better than.

I agree he will continue to score at a healthy pace until he retires.

I do not agree with the 800 goal statement. Ovechkin has not scored at the pace Wayne did when he entered the league and will not play forever like Howe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad