Is Ovechkin the greatest LW ever?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's easily behind Hull and arguably behind Lindsay as well.

Maybe Ovi beats out Hull by the time of retirement, but he would need a few more elite seasons and longevity to do so.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Maybe Ovi beats out Hull by the time of retirement, but he would need a few more elite seasons and longevity to do so.

It's almost a pipe dream that Ovechkin beats Hull. He will beat Lindsay for sure. But Hull will likely be ahead when Ovechkin hangs them up.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

I wonder how people can compare players from different eras with that kind of ease. When Lindsay was playing? Was that an era of the dinosaurs or earlier?

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
It's almost a pipe dream that Ovechkin beats Hull. He will beat Lindsay for sure. But Hull will likely be ahead when Ovechkin hangs them up.

I agree. That said, going down as the second best LW ain't too shabby.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Hull had tremendous longevity, which Ovechkin might need to match. But Ovechkin already has a more impressive trophy collection (three Harts to Hull's two).

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
He's got a shot at it. Another Hart or two with a few more Richards, break 700 in goals and 1200 in points, and he could claim that title of greatest ever at his position.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Hull had tremendous longevity, which Ovechkin might need to match. But Ovechkin already has a more impressive trophy collection (three Harts to Hull's two).

While he didn't win an award for it, Hull led the NHL in scoring seven times in his career, and a few more in the WHA (while that doesn't hold much weight, I'd argue it shows Hull could have competed for more titles in the NHL those years). Ovechkin may have the advantage in Hart Trophies, but he still needs a few more goal titles to catch Hull. Plus playing at a rather high level for nearly two decades. Both are possible though so we'll see where he ends up. Definitely top-2 in the end, I'd argue.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I hate to make predictions like that, but IMO he will.

After this season, Oveckin will already be close to 500 goals scored in his career, and he won't even be 30 years old at that moment.

He may not be as insane as in 2009 or 2010, but he's still incredibly effective in terms of goal scoring. In all probability, he'll break the 700 goal mark in his career, and that is simply incredible in the low scoring era we are in (compared, for example, to the 80s).

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Recently the HF History board (who debates these things seriously) rated Ovechkin the 9th best winger of all-time. I am sure he has the chance to move up a bit as his career progresses.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Ovi had a few shady seasons defensively, but earlier in his career he was a league leader in hits, as well as goals. He was the most dominate player at one time. I'd say it's too early to tell, but he very well could be the greatest LW of all time

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Can't forget Robitaille either

In this discussion, you can forget him. You could do it a long time a go. Ovechkin passed Robitaille long time a go.

Well, trophy counting alone is not a really good way to evaluate players.

Ovechkin plays in a league with more parity, but if we do a straight up comparison between them:

Hart Trophies:

Hull: 2
Ovechkin: 3

Art Ross trophies:

Hull: 3
Ovechkin: 1

Rocket (or retro Rocket)

Hull: 7
Ovechkin: 4 and counting

All-Star selections:

Hull: 10X 1st team, 2X 2nd team
Ovechkin: 6X 1st team, 2X 2nd team

Point finishes:

Hull: 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th
Ovechkin: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 8th

Goal finishes:

Hull: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Ovechkin: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

So, Ovechkin is on his way to getting close. But it will take a big effort to match Hull and even bigger to get past him. Bobby Hull is arguably (not in my mind, but arguably) 5th greatest player to ever play the game. Being behind him is not shame at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->