Speculation: Is our defence good enough to go deep in the playoffs?

Is our defence good enough to go deep in the playoffs?

• Flat out: No.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • No, but just needs tweeking at the trade deadline.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Yes. It's above average and adequate for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • Yes. It is elite or close to it.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • It's too early to tell.

Votes: 19 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If it makes a difference to you I went to a game last week.

While there I talked to many fans who had no idea what was going on.

Hope that helps.
What does that even mean? They didn't know the rules? They didn't know what an offside was? They've never played the game before?

Were you laughing in their faces or was it a private snicker?

Reactions: DarkKnight

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs d-core will be the reason they get beat out in the playoffs again. They have no #1 top tier guy or enough #2's to have depth on all 3 pairs. Getting a number 1 is not going to happen, if Muzzin is replaced by a #2 guy this team can be dangerous.

Reilly is a 2
Brodie is a 2-3
Muzzin is a 4
Holl, Sandin, Liljegren, Giordano are all 5-6 dmen.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd say the biggest trend amongst hockey fans and commentators is actually overrating cup winning/finalist D cores. Especially everything 'below' their #1 guy.

So yes. I'd say the Leafs are generally fine in this regard. They can offset the lack of a star #1 with depth and a dominant forward core

Reactions: kb

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think if healthy the defense is good enough for a deep run. But I'm certainly concerned about injuries. Season hasn't even started and we're already really banged up.

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
As long as Muzzin is healthy, I think we're one top 4 defenseman away from being elite. That bottom 4 is about as good as it gets.

Reilly -
Muzzin-Brodie
Giordano-Liljegren/Sandin

If Liljegren can fill that role next to Reilly than obviously that's ideal, but I think we'd be safer with a more established player. At the deadline if we could turn Kerfoot and Holl's Cap into somebody to play beside Reilly, I think we're golden Ponyboy. Maybe Connor Murphy from Chicago?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The poll results are very surprising to me. Can't believe the cool-aid on that poll.

The defence has been 2nd best in each playoff exit. Each one. And that's just the 1st round. They have to go 16 - 4 rounds.

'If' fully healthy by playoff time, it's not a d corps that inspires real confidence. The realistic scenario with this group is one or two will be dinged up at that stage and with that goes the Leafs fortunes. If the offence is truly fantastic and a return to form from Murray in nets it could be enough to get the job done. You really never know.

Come on guys let's not kid ourselves. If Kyle Dubas and the Leafs had more cap space they would be doing all they could to improve that area right now. They cannot at the moment and this is the group we will go with.

Imo they need another real difference maker on D - a 1 or a 2 to put in roster speak.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough to say for sure. Upgrades look to be happening slowly (perhaps) but surely. Goaltending and forwards will also play a big role in determining how far the team progresses. Probably safe to say that what we currently see isn't necessarily going to be what we're going to get by the time the trade deadline and playoffs come around either.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I still think we need one more guy. What if one of Brodie, Rielly get injured? I'm already banking on Muzzin being injured for the playoffs.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I'd say the biggest trend amongst hockey fans and commentators is actually overrating cup winning/finalist D cores. Especially everything 'below' their #1 guy.

So yes. I'd say the Leafs are generally fine in this regard. They can offset the lack of a star #1 with depth and a dominant forward core
I don't see the commentary on recent cup winning/finalist D cores to be an issue of over or under rating them, but simply noting an established pattern of the types of defenceman they have, which differs significantly to what we currently have.

We have talented defenceman, and depth too, but the missing element compared to recent winners is cause for concern. We're probably not too far off from most of the competition we will likely face, but I'd be looking to improve in this area to gain an edge, or in some cases, get even.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Brodie - reliable, best D on the team
Muzzin - Experinced, reliable, if he’s healthy hes pretty solid

Rielly - Experienced, somewhat unpredictable in his own end, can skate well and provide offence.

Holl - probably gone due to cap. He’s serviceable

Liljegren - lots of opportunities for improvement, yet capable of filling a role.
Sandin - needs improvement - is his skating and strength good enough for a long playoff run?

Benn - Experienced, strong
Mete - Has yet to be a good NHL player.

Even with the two super elite forwards, as of now, it’s hard to predict if this team can go on a long playoff run. They’ll need to be dedicated to team D. If they are, maybe they can.
Needs more Giordano.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I also think it's strange that Muzzin is still being treated like a cast off. The guy was literally one of the best d men among either team last playoff series against the Bolts
He's 33, so apparently he's basically dead now.
The defence has been 2nd best in each playoff exit. Each one.
That's incorrect. Our defense has put up better results than our playoff opponents in each of the past 3 years.
I don't see the commentary on recent cup winning/finalist D cores to be an issue of over or under rating them, but simply noting an established pattern of the types of defenceman they have, which differs significantly to what we currently have.
It's both an issue of overrating recent cup winning/finalist defense cores, and underrating ours. There is no "established pattern of the types of defensemen" that differs significantly from what we have. All sorts of defensive make-ups have won and made it to the cup final, and we're not that different from what many successful teams had.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
One thing I’ll be watching that seems to fly under the radar, does Gio finally get a visit from Father Time. He’s been great for us, can he keep it together for another season and playoff run. It can happen fast.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The 2022-23 season is going to age a couple on the Leafs' defense significantly. They're pretty good right now but I'm not so sure about the state of it in April 2023.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not with Bo at short. ;)
I like the Jays and all, I have spring training tickets spend a lot of time in Dunedin in the spring, but I don’t watch mlb playoffs and prefer when they’re off the radar when the NHL season starts.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One thing I’ll be watching that seems to fly under the radar, does Gio finally get a visit from Father Time. He’s been great for us, can he keep it together for another season and playoff run. It can happen fast.
I suspect the plan is to get him lots of time off throughout the season. Injuries, etc. could change that.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Gio's legs are on the decline. It's as simple as that. Muzzin's the bigger worry of course.

There are only 11 active defensemen in the NHL 35 yo and older.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I also think it's strange that Muzzin is still being treated like a cast off. The guy was literally one of the best d men among either team last playoff series against the Bolts
I think it's more trusting his health + age combination than it is treating him as a cast-off.

Putting the team first instead of the player first when Muzzin gets thrown to the wolves. Muzzin is nice when in the lineup, but we need to think about ensuring the Muzzin of the team is readily available.

Or you can look at it simply as people like him but don't trust emotionally investing in him with the risk you will get burned.

Reactions: Menzinger

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
We think alike.

I was thinking of Marleau (play wise, forget cap hit) and how I enjoyed his first 1.5 years. Good depth player you can move around the lineup for 20 goals and still had a burst like he was 21.

Literally at year 1.500000001 the guy wakes up and decides he's going to suck. No gradual decline, went from 100 to 0 over night.

Apply this to Giordano (and maybe a bit of spezza, we seem to have went from best 4th line C in the league to 'we have no 4th line' instantaneously) and it is a concern to keep in the back of our minds.

Like Gio, Marleau took extra measures of longevity too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We think alike.

I was thinking of Marleau (play wise, forget cap hit) and how I enjoyed his first 1.5 years. Good depth player you can move around the lineup for 20 goals and still had a burst like he was 21.

Literally at year 1.500000001 the guy wakes up and decides he's going to suck. No gradual decline, went from 100 to 0 over night.

Apply this to Giordano (and maybe a bit of spezza, we seem to have went from best 4th line C in the league to 'we have no 4th line' instantaneously) and it is a concern to keep in the back of our minds.

Like Gio, Marleau took extra measures of longevity too.
On the other hand, he may be like Chara or Chelios, who were both still effective at 39

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
We have a good group of guys who are capable of excelling in their roles. As long as the goaltending is at least average, I think we will do well.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
We have a good group of guys who are capable of excelling in their roles. As long as the goaltending is at least average, I think we will do well.
Doesn't this feel a bit generic of a comment though. Every top 16 team can say this.

We should do a nail in coffin move and bring in impact player (i want on D top 4). This is best core you'll get in your life time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad