Speculation: Is our defence good enough to go deep in the playoffs?

Is our defence good enough to go deep in the playoffs?

• Flat out: No.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • No, but just needs tweeking at the trade deadline.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Yes. It's above average and adequate for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • Yes. It is elite or close to it.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • It's too early to tell.

Votes: 19 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
With Muzzin showing questionable/challenging back issues, Liljegren having hernia surgery, Sandin starting the season from behind (only slightly), Benn being injured (I do believe that Dubas signed him to be a 6/7 D), and Holl slipping (poor play) it does lead me to ask the question:

It's early, but I do think that TOR's D is not good enough. Luckily Dubas/Keefe have plenty of runway to improve things. I also mention this because at one point this season Giordano is going to need some load management. He's good still, but it's a lot to ask for him to carry a big load.

What's your opinion?

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
You can always improve your teams D and ours is fine if healthy but if a true #4 RHD is available we should take a run at him because we know Muzz is going to Muzz and Holl cant play top four on a cup contender

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Too early to tell. Need to see if Muzz and Gio can play at a consistent level and stay healthy for a full season, then playoffs. This could be the year their age really catches up to them, but let’s hope not.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The year hasn't even started, so weird time to ask this, but based on what we've seen, our defense is good enough to go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: arso40

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With Muzzin showing questionable/challenging back issues, Liljegren having hernia surgery, Sandin starting the season from behind (only slightly), Benn being injured (I do believe that Dubas signed him to be a 6/7 D), and Holl slipping (poor play) it does lead me to ask the question:

It's early, but I do think that TOR's D is not good enough. Luckily Dubas/Keefe have plenty of runway to improve things. I also mention this because at one point this season Giordano is going to need some load management. He's good still, but it's a lot to ask for him to carry a big load.

What's your opinion?

I've never seen a more negative post here...

Assumes Gio needs load management.
Muzzin apparently is always going to be injured.
Liljegren had minor surgery.
Sandin has missed 2 weeks?
Benn was our #8/9.
Holl is our #7.

You could have asked this.

Will Liljegren emerge as a top 4 D?
Will Gio keep playing at a top 4 D level?
If Muzzin stays healthy do we have too many top 4 D?
Can Holl return to form?
Can Sandin take a step and emerge as a top 4 D?

That would have been just as relevant, and the answer to all those questions is maybe, but you laid out all the worst case scenarios...

We have a lot of good D, a top 10 D (probably higher) in the league, and our forwards are arguably #1.

We have never had issues with D in the playoffs, it has been forwards.

I'd let the season play out, but I think Liljegren is about to push everyone down the depth chart and emerge as a #2/3 this year, I love his game, and if playoff Muzzin shows up like last year, we have no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I've never seen a more negative post here... and Mess posts here.

Benn was our #8/9.
Holl is our #7.

Can Holl return to form?

That would have been just as relevant, and the answer to all those questions is maybe, but you laid out all the worst case scenarios...

We have a lot of good D, a top 10 D (probably higher) in the league, and our forwards are arguably #1.

I'd let the season play out, but I think Liljegren is about to push everyone down the depth chart and emerge as a #2/3 this year, I love his game, and if playoff Muzzin shows up like last year, we have no issues.
I don't think that saying that our D needs improvement or is not quite champion - level is negative. All teams need bolstering in one way or another.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
depth and goaltending wins championships, we didn't get shit from our depth or goaltending last year we will see what happens this year

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't think that saying that our D needs improvement or is not quite champion - level is negative. All teams need bolstering in one way or another.

You listed pretty much everything that could go wrong.

I'd say it is pretty negative.

You listed a Hernia surgery and missing 2 weeks at camp as big issues, those are a reach.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I've never seen a more negative post here... and Mess posts here.

Benn was our #8/9.
Holl is our #7.

Can Holl return to form?

I do strongly believe that Muzzin will struggle to play 82 games and beyond. I do think that Gio at age 39 will need load management. I don't think either are wild or negative.

Reactions: andora

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You listed pretty much everything that could go wrong.

I'd say it is pretty negative.

You listed a Hernia surgery and missing 2 weeks at camp as big issues, those are a reach.
No I said Sandin's issue is only a slight issue.

I posted "slightly". It's right there.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No I said Sandin's issue is only a slight issue.

I posted "slightly". It's right there.

What signs has Gio shown that he will slow down and need load management? Besides being our best D at camp?

Why do you believe Benn was brought in to be a 6/7 when he was clearly behind that on the depth chart? I think he is our #10.

Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Liljegren, Gio, Sandin, Holl, Mete, Kral, Benn.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They should be able to win a round if they get the right match up.

They relied heavily on Muzzin last year ( I think he led the team in TOI through 5 or 6 games) and I’m not sure they can do that for 4 rounds. They’ll probably need an upgrade but let’s see how Liljegren does before deciding if it’s a 3 or a 5,6

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What signs has Gio shown that he will slow down and need load management? Besides being our best D at camp?

Why do you believe Benn was brought in to be a 6/7 when he was clearly behind that on the depth chart?
I don't think I have any proof. I just know from being an athlete myself what it means to be age 39. Maybe he'll need zero load management, but I have to go by my own experience/gut feeling. I don't own a crystal ball though.

I think Benn is a Keefe/Dubas' 6/7 choice due to the cap. We've seen so little of him, so it's hard to say anything.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't think I have any proof. I just know from being an athlete myself what it means to be age 39. Maybe he'll need zero load management, but I have to go by my own experience/gut feeling. I don't own a crystal ball though.

I think Benn is a Keefe/Dubas' 6/7 choice due to the cap. We've seen so little of him, so it's hard to say anything.

I am just going to go out on a limb and say the preparation and training Gio does far exceeds yours, and he is likely a much better athlete, it is comparing apples to oranges.

Benn is 100% not the #6/7 choice, so in your scenario, we trade both Sandin and Holl? And then skip playing superior players like Mete and Kral?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Leafs have one of the very best dcorps in hockey. Four vets that have been top pair caliber dmen their entire careers (tho one has aged out of that role), 2 kids with top pair skills and upside, and a 7th top4 quality guy beyond that.

Leafs fans are so weird.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I am just going to go out on a limb and say the preparation and training Gio does far exceeds yours, and he is likely a much better athlete, it is comparing apples to oranges.

Benn is 100% not the #6/7 choice, so in your scenario, we trade both Sandin and Holl? And then skip playing superior players like Mete and Kral?
I was never a pro athlete, but I know age. Gio can condition like Brady if he feels and I am still going to stick to my opinion.

How many 39 year olds are there in the NHL? I'm sorry but the odds are against Gio.

Your last paragraph is sort of mentally ill. What are you talking about? I said no such thing.

Dubas signed Benn in the offseason. I have no idea what Dubas has planned for him. I do know that Benn has been an NHLer for a long time. There's no recent account of him being sent to the AHL. It's not a stretch to think that Dubas had him in mind to be a 6/7 D.

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I was never a pro athlete, but I know age. Gio can condition like Brady if he feels and I am still going to stick to my opinion.

How many 39 year olds are there in the NHL? I'm sorry but the odds are against Gio.

Your last paragraph is sort of mentally ill. What are you talking about? I said no such thing.

Dubas signed Benn in the offseason. I have no idea what Dubas has planned for him. I do know that Benn has been an NHLer for a long time. There's no recent account of him being sent to the AHL. It's not a stretch to think that Dubas had him in mind to be a 6/7 D.

Benn was signed as depth, like in past years where players who are now fringe NHLers (Clifford is an example), were signed and then tried to get through waivers as a depth call-up, thinking anything different is really strange. I think it is a stretch to think differently than this when you look at our roster.

You know your age. There are no signs of Gio dropping off significantly, none. He has looked great so far in the pre-season too.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Benn was signed as depth, like in past years where players who are now fringe NHLers (Clifford is an example), were signed and then tried to get through waivers as a depth call-up, thinking anything different is really strange. I think it is a stretch to think differently than this when you look at our roster.

You know your age. There are no signs of Gio dropping off significantly, none. He has looked great so far in the pre-season too.
Yes and if you are the team's number 7 are you not a depth player? If you get to play from time to time are you not a 6/7?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I’ve only watched the one game at Montreal earlier this week and thought Giordano looked like a guy that may need some days off throughout the season to stay fresh. He may have lost a step, which is fine, as they only need him when the playoffs roll around.

• Haha
Reactions: notbias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad