Speculation: Is our defence good enough to go deep in the playoffs?

Is our defence good enough to go deep in the playoffs?

• Flat out: No.

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • No, but just needs tweeking at the trade deadline.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Yes. It's above average and adequate for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • Yes. It is elite or close to it.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • It's too early to tell.

Votes: 19 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fun fact, McDonagh is smaller than Brodie or Liljegren. I said leakier.

McDonagh is a pretty thick guy. comes in around 215lbs on most sites and looks it on the ice. not very mobile though. honestly muzz and him are super similar, the only difference career wise being that McDonagh played on worse teams when younger so was used as a PPQB back then and got some extra points and minutes but wasn't actually good at it. Muzz has always been more productive than him when adjusting for PP usage.

Liljegren's a different mold for sure. We just don't know whether he will get to the defensive level of guys like McDonagh, Muzzin, or Brodie yet but he certainly could, and probably has more offensive upside than them.

So far against soft usage though, both Sandin and Lilly have had a good defensive impact.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
McDonagh is a pretty thick guy. comes in around 215lbs on most sites and looks it on the ice. not very mobile though. honestly muzz and him are super similar, the only difference career wise being that McDonagh played on worse teams when younger so was used as a PPQB back then and got some extra points and minutes but wasn't actually good at it. Muzz has always been more productive than him when adjusting for PP usage.

Liljegren's a different mold for sure. We just don't know whether he will get to the defensive level of guys like McDonagh, Muzzin, or Brodie yet but he certainly could, and probably has more offensive upside than them.

So far against soft usage though, both Sandin and Lilly have had a good defensive impact.

Yeah I like Lily and Sandin, but my overall point is if we had a third young bluechipper who played more in the Muzzin style we’d be more comfortable giving that player some looks and not have to have our fingers crossed our one and only is capable of playing.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Hey! If the Leafs' D is so damn good then why are they playing Marner at that position?!??!??????

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: Al14

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Our defence is sick. Top 10 in the league no doubt and only getting better. Muzzin and Gio aging out soon but Sandin and Lilij's growth should more than make up for that. Need to trade Muzzin for someone younger who is also tough even if its a downgrade on him. Love the guy but we all know his play could fall off a cliff any time

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Our depth scoring, and big contracts being inconsistent in production, are our largest playoff woes. Defense is probably around 10th best in the league and is adequate if we're getting reasonable goaltending.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I’ve only watched the one game at Montreal earlier this week and thought Giordano looked like a guy that may need some days off throughout the season to stay fresh. He may have lost a step, which is fine, as they only need him when the playoffs roll around.
Well then keep watching. I suppose there's graphs and hypothetical to fall back on.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
With Muzzin showing questionable/challenging back issues, Liljegren having hernia surgery, Sandin starting the season from behind (only slightly), Benn being injured (I do believe that Dubas signed him to be a 6/7 D), and Holl slipping (poor play) it does lead me to ask the question:

It's early, but I do think that TOR's D is not good enough. Luckily Dubas/Keefe have plenty of runway to improve things. I also mention this because at one point this season Giordano is going to need some load management. He's good still, but it's a lot to ask for him to carry a big load.

What's your opinion?

Not good enough. It's a mediocre D-corps at best, with our "key" guy Rielly not being anywhere close to what a playoff STUD performer is like(see Hedman, Makar, Keith...). After that, Brodie is solid as hell but can only do so much, Muzzin is a walking injury now, and Gio has lost a bunch of steps.......overall, it's mediocre.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not good enough. It's a mediocre D-corps at best, with our "key" guy Rielly not being anywhere close to what a playoff STUD performer is like(see Hedman, Makar, Keith...). After that, Brodie is solid as hell but can only do so much, Muzzin is a walking injury now, and Gio has lost a bunch of steps.......overall, it's mediocre.
By every available metric, it was a top-10 D.

Thanks for playing!

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It lacks skill. Past Rielly the point production is feeble. But it's good enough on the defensive side.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It lacks skill. Past Rielly the point production is feeble. But it's good enough on the defensive side.

Would be curious to see our points by D vs other teams.

Muzzin and Gio normally put up decent points.

Most of our D just move the puck up ice though, which is understandable when you look at our forwards.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
do you think Mark Giordano is only "hyopthetically" a good hockey player?
Let me ask you a question.

When was the last time you attended a Leafs game?

I attended game 2 of the playoffs. I watched Giordano play in person. I know what he is.

• Haha
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’ll suggest that our Defence is adequate and can be more than that depending on the support our Forwards offer. An improved 4th line will do wonders, a similar improvement on our 3rd line should improve things as well. I believe both are achievable. And then there are the tenders. If things improve there nobody will be botching too much about the D corp.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
With Muzzin showing questionable/challenging back issues, Liljegren having hernia surgery, Sandin starting the season from behind (only slightly), Benn being injured (I do believe that Dubas signed him to be a 6/7 D), and Holl slipping (poor play) it does lead me to ask the question:

It's early, but I do think that TOR's D is not good enough. Luckily Dubas/Keefe have plenty of runway to improve things. I also mention this because at one point this season Giordano is going to need some load management. He's good still, but it's a lot to ask for him to carry a big load.

What's your opinion?
Great question OP.

And at the moment, the answer is no.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The top 4 is just not good enough IMHO. We shall see how things pan out in the first month of the season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Non-Stats description:

- Four veteran dmen that have been top-pair caliber dmen their entire careers, on top teams in the league
- 3 were top pair caliber the last time we saw them, these past playoffs
- 4th played very well as a #4 dman
- 2 young 1st round picks with top pair upside, coming off first full seasons where they dominated 3rd pair competition

Stats Description:

GSVA Best Defense Corps (Top-6 Only):

1.CGY 10.4
2.COL 10.2
3.TOR 9.0
4.BOS 8.6
5.MIN 7.9
6.TBL 7.5

Leafs Fans Description:

- Mediocre to poor dcorps, not good enough.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Non-Stats description:

- Four veteran dmen that have been top-pair caliber dmen their entire careers, on top teams in the league
- 3 were top pair caliber the last time we saw them, these past playoffs
- 4th played very well as a #4 dman
- 2 young 1st round picks with top pair upside, coming off first full seasons where they dominated 3rd pair competition

Stats Description:

GSVA Best Defense Corps (Top-6 Only):

1.CGY 10.4
2.COL 10.2
3.TOR 9.0
4.BOS 8.6
5.MIN 7.9
6.TBL 7.5

Leafs Fans Description:

- Mediocre to poor dcorps, not good enough.

53.7% voted "Yes. It's above average and adequate for a deep playoff run.".

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
wait a sec - you went to a game?

I retract everything I said.
You retract with fear. You never go to leaf games and are afraid to admit it.

If you have attended one recently why don't you mention it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad