Is Orr over hyped/rated

straka91*

Okay, so I dont get misunderstood. I think Orr is one of the toughest s.o.b.s in the game and def one of the most entertaining fighters to grace the ice in the new nhl.

Now thats out of the way, I just watched the Orr and Neil fight and I would of thought Orr would of owned him. He didn't. But after looking into his past fights he looses to some guys not at his level but yet can beat the best.

Whats bugs me is ever since he signed with Toronto he was thrusted in to the top 3 consideration.

Is it me or is he overhyped/rated?

alienanton*

not really sure what you're expecting here... he cleaned neil pretty good. he landed 4 clean shots repeatedly to end that fight.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Orr clearly won. He didn't get the knockout and a couple of wild swings by Neil got him off balance but it shouldn't be disputed who won.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think he's top 3, but no he's not overrated. He happens to be one of the tougher guys in the league on one of the most popular teams in the league that doesn't have much going for them. Thus, perhaps you hear about him more than necessary.

As for the fight with Neil, maybe you're just underestimating Neil. Sure he didn't do a thing against Orr just like most would expect, but he takes a punch as good as anyone in the league and has fought basically every HW you can name during his career. I guess the cheapshots and fighting weaker guys from time to time causes people to forget that, but anyway...

mygameworn

Dec 24, 2007
Connecticut
mygameworn.net
While I don't think Orr is overrated at all, I do think he's slowed down a bit. How many years can you stick with his style of open fighting. I will say that this season he's taken more shots than in the past.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Orr won that fight, but i thought Neil did an admirable job against a much bigger fighting opponent then he's used too. Neil's got a Tie Domi like head, he can take abuse and keep coming back for more.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
Last year, underrated. He was good defensively, scored on Brodeur on a breakaway snipe, and took down some huge names with his fists.

This year, he's taken a few beatings (Boogard, Engelland), so he's struggling a bit. Here hoping he'll regain to form.

Also, Orr's biggest weapon is his reputation and intimidation. If he can convince the opposing team that they shouldn't take a run at Kessel or the other scorers, then his job is done. It's not always about throwing knuckles. Though, he's pretty good at that.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Last year, underrated. He was good defensively, scored on Brodeur on a breakaway snipe, and took down some huge names with his fists.

This year, he's taken a few beatings (Boogard, Engelland), so he's struggling a bit. Here hoping he'll regain to form.
Also, Orr's biggest weapon is his reputation and intimidation. If he can convince the opposing team that they shouldn't take a run at Kessel or the other scorers, then his job is done. It's not always about throwing knuckles. Though, he's pretty good at that.

I would hardly call his fight with Boogard a beating. You could probably give the edge to Boogard, but it was pretty close, especially considering the size difference.

The way Orr fights, he ends up with a few big time losses. He's been dropped good by Carkner, Shelley and Engelland. In the first Engelland fight I think he was clearly winning the fight until he decided that it would be alright to not play defence and got absolutely hammered with a huge right.

When you look at the guys who have wins over Orr over his entire career, they're pretty much the who's who of top heavies. Cairns, Brashear, Laraque, Godard, MacIntyre, Boogard, Belak, Erskine, McGratton, etc. Many of those guys he's also beaten.

Over his entire career, there are only a few fights he's lost to guys you would expect him to always beat. Strudwick and VandenBussche his first season, Rupp a few seasons back and possibly Engelland (although he's proving to be a lot tougher than most expected). Every other loss he has is to a legitimate heavy, most of the time larger than him.

Is he top 3 this season? I don't think you could say he is. But he's very likely top 5 and on any given night can drop almost anyone in the league.

So while I don't think he's overrated, he may be a bit overhyped by the large Leaf fan base. He is, however, very effective at his job and is not afriad to force the issue like some other heavies.

Manny*

He ate Carkner several times, who took care of Boogard and Godard this year. Neil did well, but he always hangs in there no matter who he's fighting.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Clearly just a case of Neil having a cement head, I think. It seems ridiculously tough to drop the guy. The rapid succession of 4 shots square to the face that Orr gave him, I think, would drop a lot of fighters around the league.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Orr's still one of the better fighters around and he's actually not a terrible fourth line player however, his style of going toe-to-toe is going to result in him getting hit pretty good sometimes. I was very surprised that Neil was willing to go him, Orr is a bigger man and Neil shouldn't be fighting guys his size but Neil held his own, took a few shots and looked respectable. I can't wait for Mike Brown to come back, him and Neil are a perfect matchup.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Chris Neil will hang in there with the HWs. He is a very tough guy and has been known to take a few just to land one punch. He is similar to Cam Janssen (really shouldnt be fighting the HWs, but when he does he hold his own)

Orr gained more credit when he came to Toronto, that is true. But he is a good fighter in his regard.

When Orr can get his right free and start landing punches (i know you can say that about anyone) He will drop just about anyone. but, it seems when he gets that arm tired up and kept in close; its anyones call.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Orr is a legit heavy weight, and one of the better ones in the league. The guy is not useless apart from fighting. He can actually play without putting his team at risk of getting scored on.

At 1 million a season, I'm cool with him.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think Orr might be one of the toughest for sure. The only guy I can remember beating Carkner cleanly and relatively easily. Since then Cakrner's record is close to unblemished - including sending Boogard into last year.

Neil's tough as nails, but I was afraid for his life last night.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The only guy I can remember beating Carkner cleanly and relatively easily. Since then Cakrner's record is close to unblemished - including sending Boogard into last year.[/B

Thornton whipped Carkner last year, no doubt about it, check it out. As for Orr, he is certainly one of the most feared fighters in the game, very entertaining, but because of his all out style he will get dropped from time to time.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
The only guy I can remember beating Carkner cleanly and relatively easily. Since then Cakrner's record is close to unblemished - including sending Boogard into last year.[/B

Thornton whipped Carkner last year, no doubt about it, check it out. As for Orr, he is certainly one of the most feared fighters in the game, very entertaining, but because of his all out style he will get dropped from time to time.

I think you need to rewatch the Thornton Carkner fight you're referring to. It was hardly a whipping.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I think you need to rewatch the Thornton Carkner fight you're referring to. It was hardly a whipping.

Perhaps not a whipping, but a decisive win over a much bigger opponent.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

Perhaps not a whipping, but a decisive win over a much bigger opponent.

Again, I would hardly call that decisive. In fact, here is a link to what people thought on the dropyourgloves website. It is almost unanimously a 'narrow win'.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=279996&Fight=274587#Fight274587

Either way, it doesn't really matter too much. He didn't win against Thornton, although despite Thornton's size, many of the top heavy's have a hard time with him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No way. He is not overrated.

Don't act like Neil isn't a tough SOB. He can hang with almost any heavyweight in the league. Orr still won the fight.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure about the original question... Over hyped/rated

But, I was just looking at some of Orr recent fights on Hockeyfights the other day. What struck me as interesting is that for most of his fights he seems to Win or Loose big. Either way, I appreciate Orr for making it entertaining... much better than a Brashear style hug fest

Bobo Fett*

Orr didnt clean his clock but he did win by more punches landed. Neil did a pretty good job against him and having Orr off balance.

I honestly see Orr slowing down quite a bit this season. The only guys I really see him beat the piss out of is Carkner. The rest of his fights arent outright wins but more or less draws.

He ate Carkner several times, who took care of Boogard and Godard this year. Neil did well, but he always hangs in there no matter who he's fighting.

I think Carkner is a pretty tough fella but I think it's just one of those things that for whatever reason, he just doesnt do well against Orr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad