Is Orr over hyped/rated

SeventyOne

"71" & "Kuhnhackl"
Mar 30, 2009
Wheeling, WV
engelland01.jpg

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
I saw this thread title in the forum index, spat my water all over my keyboard and monitor, and then noticed it was in the Hockey Fights forum.

:(

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
One thing I seriously hate is the crappy camera work sometimes. If you watch the Orr-Neil fight more closely, you notice that in the beginning Orr received two clean punches straight to the face as well.

That was far from a clear win for Orr.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
One thing I seriously hate is the crappy camera work sometimes. If you watch the Orr-Neil fight more closely, you notice that in the beginning Orr received two clean punches straight to the face as well.

That was far from a clear win for Orr.

I think it was a pretty clear win. Now clear win doesn't equate to dominate, which Orr didn't do by any means. He landed more shots and better shots which is why he won, but as pretty much everyone else has said, Neil is a tough SOB and he can hang with pretty much anyone in the league.

Mhoogasian94123

Orr's nothing special. He's like Neil. He can throw punches but they're both know more for cheapshots. After watching what Orr did to Couture lastnight. I hope someone takes him out so he never takes a shift again. How do you go knee on knee on a guy like Couture? If you want to get rid of someone take out a guy that's more experienced. Couture's young and hasn't done anything to deserve an injury that has ended some players careers. I used to enjoy Orr but he's changed my mind big time. :rant:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I dunno if he's overrated or not. But I did like last season right after he got the TKO on Carkner his very next fight he got Tko'd by Jody Shelley.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Orr's nothing special. He's like Neil. He can throw punches but they're both know more for cheapshots. After watching what Orr did to Couture lastnight. I hope someone takes him out so he never takes a shift again. How do you go knee on knee on a guy like Couture? If you want to get rid of someone take out a guy that's more experienced. Couture's young and hasn't done anything to deserve an injury that has ended some players careers. I used to enjoy Orr but he's changed my mind big time. :rant:

Orr tried to throw a body check, not a knee. Couture jumped out of the way at the last second, literally as Orr was twisting and throwing his shoulder forward, he had no time to react and it was a freak accident that their knees collided. I have no idea how Sharks fans can possibly think this was dirty, I guess that's what you get with Californians who just started watching hockey without ever playing the sport. If you think this hit was intentionally dirty you really need to take the homer goggles off.

Anyways, Orr is a super entertaining fighter, throws with abandon. In terms of intimidation he's got to be up there, you know he's coming after you in a fight, all punches, no hugging. In terms of actually winning consistently he's not top 3, he's on the small side for a heavy weight and he doesn't bother defending himself or fighting strategically at all. But fighters, IMO, are there mostly for entertainment, and partly for intimidation/deterance, and Orr does both well, even if he loses fights in spectacular fashion decently often.

Mhoogasian94123

Orr tried to throw a body check, not a knee. Couture jumped out of the way at the last second, literally as Orr was twisting and throwing his shoulder forward, he had no time to react and it was a freak accident that their knees collided. I have no idea how Sharks fans can possibly think this was dirty, I guess that's what you get with Californians who just started watching hockey without ever playing the sport. If you think this hit was intentionally dirty you really need to take the homer goggles off.

Anyways, Orr is a super entertaining fighter, throws with abandon. In terms of intimidation he's got to be up there, you know he's coming after you in a fight, all punches, no hugging. In terms of actually winning consistently he's not top 3, he's on the small side for a heavy weight and he doesn't bother defending himself or fighting strategically at all. But fighters, IMO, are there mostly for entertainment, and partly for intimidation/deterance, and Orr does both well, even if he loses fights in spectacular fashion decently often.

Lets see what you think when Orr takes out Daniel or Henrik. I watched the shot a couple of times and it's even more obvious he stuck his knee out. Think what you want about my location but I could be a fan of any team in the NHL. I'm a Couture fan but that hit was an obvious attempt to injure. It's sad you can't see the intent to injure. You can't tell me he was intending to throw a body check. His knee was sticking out big time. Give me your address I'll get a laser surgeon visit you so he can fix your eyes. My friend you are BLIND!!!!!

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Lets see what you think when Orr takes out Daniel or Henrik. I watched the shot a couple of times and it's even more obvious he stuck his knee out. Think what you want about my location but I could be a fan of any team in the NHL. I'm a Couture fan but that hit was an obvious attempt to injure. It's sad you can't see the intent to injure. You can't tell me he was intending to throw a body check. His knee was sticking out big time. Give me your address I'll get a laser surgeon visit you so he can fix your eyes. My friend you are BLIND!!!!!
You're completely out to lunch, Orr was in a wide stance the whole time leading up to the hit, he clearly did not stick it out at the last second. Couture tried to hop out of the way and Orr had no time to react. If Couture had just sacked up and took the hit there wouldn't have been ay injury. Watch the replay again and stop embarassing yourself.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

And you're a whiner. Give me your address and I'll send you some tissues. The knee on knee was unintentional, but this isn't the thread to discuss it.

Mhoogasian94123

You're completely out to lunch, Orr was in a wide stance the whole time leading up to the hit, he clearly did not stick it out at the last second. Couture tried to hop out of the way and Orr had no time to react. If Couture had just sacked up and took the hit there wouldn't have been ay injury. Watch the replay again and stop embarassing yourself.

I'm not out to lunch. It's almost 8PM. I've already had dinner. :sarcasm: I'm sorry Stoner. You're right I should stop complaining about someone sticking their leg out and call it a clean hit.....NAH

Mhoogasian94123

And you're a whiner. Give me your address and I'll send you some tissues. The knee on knee was unintentional, but this isn't the thread to discuss it.

How is that possible? Knee on knee NOT intentional? I think you need to read that to yourself until you believe it. Good night, kiddo

TML g u n n e R s*

How is that possible? Knee on knee NOT intentional? I think you need to read that to yourself until you believe it. Good night, kiddo

LOL is this post serious...

couture tried to dodge the hit... it was no ones fault.

jamwires

Sep 22, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
It's bizarre, cause you might say Orr > Carkner. But not so fast - because guys that beat Orr have been beat down by Carkner. It's kind of weird that way. I wouldn't say Orr is top 3, but he's up there. So call it what you will, he's tough.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It's bizarre, cause you might say Orr > Carkner. But not so fast - because guys that beat Orr have been beat down by Carkner. It's kind of weird that way. I wouldn't say Orr is top 3, but he's up there. So call it what you will, he's tough.
Yeah, I don't think there's a clear #3, period. I have Boogie and Big Mac as a clear top 2, but after that there's just a whole bunch of other good fighters.

The Big Swede*

Theres no point in trying to convince him

Hes either blind or doesn't know much about hockey

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Orr is nothing special. He has losing records vs all the legit 00's HW: Brashear, McGrattan, Belak, Lacraque, Macintyre

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Orr is nothing special. He has losing records vs all the legit 00's HW: Brashear, McGrattan, Belak, Lacraque, Macintyre

I love when clueless people spout facts that hardly prove a case.

Having a losing record to the guys you mentioned hardly makes someone 'nothing special'. Especially with Laraque, Brashear and MacIntyre included. I mean if you can't beat those three regularly, then you're clearly not a notable fighter.

By your logic, MacIntyre isn't anything special because he has a losing record to Godard, Boogard and McGrattan.

By your logic, Belak isn't anything special because he has a losing record to Brashear, MacIntyre, Matt Johnson, Sandy McCarthy, Brian McGrattan, Oliwa and even Chris Neil.

Brashear has a losing record to only 3 guys that he's fought more than once; Kocur, Grimson and McGratton. Losing to him is hardly something to judge someone by.

Laraque was universally thought of as the heavyweight champ for much of the 2000's (and when it wasn't him it was typically Brashear). But losing to him definitely backs up your case. :laugh:

Colton Orr may not be in the top 3, but he's hardly 'nothing special'. But if it makes you feel better to put down the guy who made your boy Lucic hide behind the refs, then have at it. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->