Music: Is OK Computer the most overrated album of all-time?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've always felt Daydream Nation was overrated. To my ears, it kind of just meanders and alternates between so-so and good but not great tracks after Teenage Riot. I like what Sonic Youth's about and everything, but that one doesn't seem any better than the other albums they did at around that time.

One that doesn't have quite as serious of a reputation but legitimately feels mediocre to me is "Turn on the Bright Lights" by Interpol. I liked it when I was younger, but now I find it to be a bland/amateurish rip-off of various bands.

I would take OK Computer over either of these very easily, and think Sgt Pepper is in a completely different stratosphere from any of the three.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Not at all.

Coincidentally though, the most overrated album of all-time is a Radiohead album.

Kid A is the most overrated album of all-time.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I think of them like this:

Kid A - 4.5 (Brilliant)

Brilliant
1. Everything in its Right Place
2. Kid A
3. Idioteque
4. National Anthem
5. Motion Picture Soundtrack

Great
6. Morning Bell
7. In Limbo
8. Treefingers
9. Optimistic
10. How to Disappear Completely

OK Computer - 3.0 (Very Good)

Great
1. Airbag
2. Climbing Up the Walls
3. Paranoid Android
4. Subterranean Homesick Blues

Good
5. Lucky
6. Karma Police
7. The Tourist

Positive
8. Exit Music
9. Fitter Happier

Neutral
10. Let Down

Dislike
11. No Surprises
12. Electioneering

You'll notice I slightly changed my mind from what I said earlier :laugh:

I love Exit Music. When I first listened to that song, I really fell in love with the album. It has such a dark mood and presence. We hope that you choke is such an angry and dark line.

Also love How to Disappear Completely and Treefingers. Can close my eyes and just go somewhere else. The buildup at the end for HtDC with the strings to the end with the crash crash of the cymbols...goosebumps. Treefingers is a great kinda re-set for the back half. Further brings you mellow after the height of HtDC. Gives you a nice resting spot imo.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Too many responses have said they don't even know the album, if it was overrated then everyone would know it, even non fans, so to answer the question, no it's not overrated.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Too many responses have said they don't even know the album, if it was overrated then everyone would know it, even non fans, so to answer the question, no it's not overrated.

I don't think that assessment is accurate. Overrated and overexposed/over-hyped are two different things. If it is rated highly by people who do know about it, and you don't think it's deserving of it, then you think it's overrated. Whether or not alot of people know about it in order to rate it highly is irrelevant to this.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can see what you mean by both of those choices. I think they're still great, but definitely at least a few notches below their reputation for me.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think that assessment is accurate. Overrated and overexposed/over-hyped are two different things. If it is rated highly by people who do know about it, and you don't think it's deserving of it, then you think it's overrated. Whether or not alot of people know about it in order to rate it highly is irrelevant to this.

OK Computer got amazing reviews. It made so many critics list for best album of the year in 1997. It wasn't the highest selling album of the decade or had songs you couldn't get off the radio, it had incredible critical acclaim.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The most over-rated album that I'm aware of is The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
The most over-rated album that I'm aware of is The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses.

I'd throw a different 'stone' on this one - Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stones. But even that has plenty of contenders. There's a hell of a lot of overrated albums floating around out there. In fact, I think if I were pressed, I'd say In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is the most overrated - seeing how so many people say how great it is, I've listened to it several times TRYING to find something in it that's not so bad, but I just can't. Then again, in some circles Trout Mask Replica is worshiped and I can't even get through the entire album as it's completely horrible. I also find Illinois by Sufjan Stevens to be unnotable.

That said, I happen to like "Second Coming" better than The Stone Roses eponymous and much heralded debut.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
One that doesn't have quite as serious of a reputation but legitimately feels mediocre to me is "Turn on the Bright Lights" by Interpol. I liked it when I was younger, but now I find it to be a bland/amateurish rip-off of various bands.
I'm going to shock you here, so brace yourself: I agree with you 100%. I find that album so bland as to be reduced to background noise whenever I've tried to listen to it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to shock you here, so brace yourself: I agree with you 100%. I find that album so bland as to be reduced to background noise whenever I've tried to listen to it.
I swear, you've said this exact thing dozens of times before about various subjects.

If it helps flip everything back to the reality that you're used to, I do think Trout Mask Replica is a ****ing masterpiece. But I agree about Exile on Main Street and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I mean, I'd call them decent to good albums, but nothing spectacular or close to perfect. It boggles my mind that of the four or five peak Stones album, that is the one considered by many to be their magnum opus.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Very possible. I mean, Creep was their only giant hit that was on the radio and MTV back in the early 90's. Otherwise, you might have heard something on a TV show or in a movie without knowing it. But even that is not likely.

I don't think I've ever heard radiohead on a top 40 station, but I think karma police and creep got decent play on your generic rock stations.

Dugray

No Gifs This Time
Nov 22, 2006
Longueuil
I have attempted several times over the years to give OK Computer a listen through. Every time I get through it I'm just horribly underwhelmed. The only song I've found to really jive with me is Paranoid Android.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Again, not actually a classic, but one popular album that I think is outright stabbing-your-own-eyes-out terrible is Hot Fuss by The Killers.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I swear, you've said this exact thing dozens of times before about various subjects.

If it helps flip everything back to the reality that you're used to, I do think Trout Mask Replica is a ****ing masterpiece. But I agree about Exile on Main Street and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I mean, I'd call them decent to good albums, but nothing spectacular or close to perfect. It boggles my mind that of the four or five peak Stones album, that is the one considered by many to be their magnum opus.

If you count, I'm sure the number's less than one dozen.

I think Exile is extremely boring musically. I find Aeroplane unlistenable. Mangum's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and the music that goes along with it doesn't strike me as particularly inspired. Trout Mask is like trying to dig my brain out of my skull with razor blades.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Digging into my skull with razor-blades in the most exhilerating and orgasmic way possible would actually be an apt description of it for me.

One of my favorite things about music is that dynamic that some types have where the first dozen or so times something may sound like nails on a chalkboard, especially when uninitiated, but if I let it take me and throw away preconceptions, they end up completely blowing my musical worldview away-- With In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, that struggle is there, and there is a point where it clicks and stops sounding annoying/grating-- but even then, my reaction to it ends up being-- "Oh, cool.. This is nice..... but.... that's it?"

It never crosses over into something that ultimately ends up feeling like it's worth the effort, really.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...:shakehead
Really? I'm surprised you like Hot Fuss but hate Turn on the Bright Lights. They seem like pretty similar entities to me, with similar weaknesses-- I'd actually give TOTBL the edge for having a thicker/tastier sound.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I like 90's music, but I have never understood the appeal of Radiohead. I've listened to some of their stuff and have heard "Creep" on the radio a couple of times and it's just not my cup of tea, yet their fans worship the band like they are the greatest musicians to ever live.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I like 90's music, but I have never understood the appeal of Radiohead. I've listened to some of their stuff and have heard "Creep" on the radio a couple of times and it's just not my cup of tea, yet their fans worship the band like they are the greatest musicians to ever live.

Maybe it's because (IMO) Creep is one of their very worst songs.

But to me, Radiohead stands above the rest mostly because of the energy Yorke's vocals carry. There's something underlying about the combination of his physical and vocal art that got to me from the very first time I heard their music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad