Music: Is OK Computer the most overrated album of all-time?

Chris Hagen*

People rank it as one of the greatest albums ever made. Not only do I think that it is not even remotely close, but I actually think it's ****ing awful. I can't even listen to it.

Discuss.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
One of my favorite albums of all time so I'd obviously say no.

Everyone has different tastes but "awful" seems pretty harsh unless you just straight-up don't like that type of music (ie. the genre). For most of these "all-time great" albums I can at least see the appeal, even if it's far from my favorite. The songs on OK are still pretty accessible to a wider audience, unlike Kid A.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nope.

(This is where I'd post the album cover for Nirvana's "Nevermind", as a counterargument, but.......it's got a baby dick on it, so, yeah :laugh:)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Who calls it one of the greatest albums ever made? It's a great album, but what might turn some people off is that it didn't have many hit songs. It's just an album where every song is good, so I never skip over any of them.

I'm sure it's up there when it comes to being one of the best albums of the 90's or one of the best albums of the last 20 years.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Never heard anyone call it one of the greatest albums ever, not ever, not once, anywhere. So no. Thread fail, thinly veiled troll attempt as well.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I have it as a good but not great album. It is original-sounding and somewhat enthralling to me. That said, I don't see what makes it great for so many people. I think it's neck-and-neck with Kid A.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Who calls it one of the greatest albums ever made? It's a great album, but what might turn some people off is that it didn't have many hit songs. It's just an album where every song is good, so I never skip over any of them.

I'm sure it's up there when it comes to being one of the best albums of the 90's or one of the best albums of the last 20 years.

Never heard anyone call it one of the greatest albums ever, not ever, not once, anywhere. So no. Thread fail, thinly veiled troll attempt as well.

erm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Computer#Legacy

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I've seen it listed near the top of many album lists. Maybe not as much anymore but you can't deny it's definitely a well-regarded album in general.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Nope.

(This is where I'd post the album cover for Nirvana's "Nevermind", as a counterargument, but.......it's got a baby dick on it, so, yeah :laugh:)

That and a track list that every song is a classic that changed the face of music forever....

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I guess you're being ironic or whatever, but I honestly don't think I've ever heard a Radiohead song.

Very possible. I mean, Creep was their only giant hit that was on the radio and MTV back in the early 90's. Otherwise, you might have heard something on a TV show or in a movie without knowing it. But even that is not likely.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Definitely not overrated. Highly regarded, but I don't think I have ever seen someone say greatest of all time.

Nope.

Nevermind is a great album and not overrated in my opinion. Smells like Teen Spirit is an overrated and overplayed song though.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
My Favorite Radiohead album. Though if you think Radiohead is overrated themselves I suppose it's possible.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a good album, but far from their best, and far from one of the best albums of the 90s, IMO. It certainly has the reputation of being mentioned alongside the greats.

I find parts of it to be incredibly annoying and melodramatic/emo like The Bends is, but it's undeniably well produced/polished/conceived.

Kid A and Amnesiac are worlds better.

But in a world where tons of bands like Nirvana and Oasis exist, there are definitely more overrated albums out there. While Radiohead may not be the best thing around, nor do they hold up to iconic guys like of Dylan/Floyd, they're still better than most of their peers, IMO.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It's a good album, but far from their best, and far from one of the best albums of the 90s, IMO. It certainly has the reputation of being mentioned alongside the greats.

I find parts of it to be incredibly annoying and melodramatic/emo like The Bends is, but it's undeniably well produced/polished/conceived.

Kid A and Amnesiac are worlds better.

But in a world where tons of bands like Nirvana and Oasis exist, there are definitely more overrated albums out there. While Radiohead may not be the best thing around, nor do they hold up to iconic guys like of Dylan/Floyd, they're still better than most of their peers, IMO.

Disagree with Kid A and Amnesiac being better. They are fine albums, but have some weak songs. There are no weak songs on OK Computer in my opinion. Great album front to back. No need to skip any of the songs. You can't say that about too many albums.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Disagree with Kid A and Amnesiac being better. They are fine albums, but have some weak songs. There are no weak songs on OK Computer in my opinion. Great album front to back. No need to skip any of the songs. You can't say that about too many albums.
I disagree, but that's okay.

Kid A is perfect front to back-- The only thing that docks marks off of it for me are that everything it does well, it lifts from other bands who did it better, and because those bands are somewhat obscure, Radiohead ends up getting all this extra credit for originality.

There are three songs I mostly dislike on OK Computer-- High and Dry, Electioneering, and Fitter Happier. The only three tracks that I find legitimately great are the first three, personally. The general mopiness of the rest is a tough sell for me as well, but they're well crafted.

In fact, I would probably take Kid A's weakest songs over OK Computer's best songs, if you really pushed me on it. (Treefingers/In Limbo vs. Airbag/Paranoid Android...... I'd consider it-- I really love the former)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad