Is now the time to deal JVR?

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Would Burke be interesting in Calgary in a trade that returns Sam Bennett + ?

Would Nashville trade Seth Jones?

Would Montreal deal Alex Galchenyuk + top prospect (Nikita Scherbak, Michael McCarron, Zachary Fucale etc)?

Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl + Oscar Klefbom

You could think of many places that would fit for JVR playing the wing on the top line putting up 30+ goals and Leafs getting multiple young assets outside of just picks.

All those are over payments for JVR.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Not interested in trading JVR, to say the least.

Could undoubtedly fetch a hefty return, but I see more value in keeping the player than flipping him (long-term).

member 147413

Only if the return is...

Top Prospect + 2016 1st + Good young roster player

Otherwise... No

Say... Islanders...

Pulock + 2016 1st + Lee

or

Galchenyuk + 2nd

Just cause I'm a huge Galchenyuk fan.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Im still not understanding the love for him. Can someone please explain what it is he brings that we need?

Other than the contract that is...

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Keep him around for the rebuild. He has good head on his shoulders, and a blend of size and skill that's in short supply around the league. Babcock will make a gamer out of him.

AK1990

Nov 20, 2011
JVR & Polak

For

Stoner, Ritchie, Gibson & Manson

ANA Lineup

JVR/Getzlaf/Perry
Hagelin/Kesler/Silfverberg
Maroon/Horcoff/Rakell
Cogliano/Thompson/Sekac or Jackman

Lindholm/Bieksa
Fowler/Polak
Despres/Vatanen

Anderson/Khudobin

Thoughts??

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I say yes, and Leafs should retain 50% on his contract to maximize options on the market.

The rebuild will be on-going when his contract is up for renewal, and he will command $7M easily as a UFA.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Im still not understanding the love for him. Can someone please explain what it is he brings that we need?

I'm not understanding your agenda against him all of a sudden. Maybe you're afraid his point totals won't dip much, if it all without Kessel by his side anymore so you'll have nothing to pump your boy Kessel with anymore.

Mancunian

Dec 6, 2008
Trading JVR should net a huge return. I would even be willing to eat 50% of his salary for the remainder of his contract to get a massive bidding war going. I wonder how much more we would have to add after that for an elite up and comer. I was toying with the thought of JVR (50% retention, so a total cap hit of 2.125 per for the next three seasons) for Drouin and Ohlund's last year from Tampa but wonder how much more if anything we would have to add to it. It would be the last retention spot until the Carl Gunnarsson one expires at the end of the upcoming season.

I'll grab a helmet to prepare for the response.

Jun 27, 2005
The people around here need to spend some time on the trades forum. For months a bunch of supposed Leafs fans battled fans from all the other teams declaring that the return for Kessel would be stellar and there would be absolutely no retention under any circumstances.

It was embarrassing.

Some of these expected returns for JVR are even worse.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Grabner + Ryan Pulock + Isles '16 1st + Isles '17 1st (turns to 2nd if Isles don't advance to 2nd round in '16 or '17)

I'd be very happy with something like that. A top RHD prospect must be coming back

I hope you're joking that you'd expect those kinds of returns.
Have fans not learned from the outrageous expectations in the Kessel trade?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not understanding your agenda against him all of a sudden. Maybe you're afraid his point totals won't dip much, if it all without Kessel by his side anymore so you'll have nothing to pump your boy Kessel with anymore.

Just lol.

Go look at his numbers with and without Kessel. They're clearly WAY better with Kessel, just like EVERYONE ELSE who played with Kessel.

What is this supposed "agenda" he's pushing? There's plenty of evidence to back up his point of view. You bet your ****ing ass his numbers are going to dip without Kessel.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Whether they deal him or not I hope he really analyzed what it took for his brother's team to win a Stanley cup this year. The dedication and the work ethic that is required to get the job done.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

you can't.

the only thing that intrigued me was that he was mellow and he spent his formative years under one Chris Pronger (who was a tough task master from all accounts).

And I think a lot of people are looking at the contract and think "this is awesome. we should keep it." no. trade it. get maximum amount for a contract like that. the payout in 3 years isn't worth it, and I don't think he's a kind of player that I think the Leafs may want.

I said the same thing about Phil, that I'm saying about JVR here. Maybe Babcock thinks JVR is more malleable than other players who knows, but ... I don't know. And this is where I could get in trouble - but I think for right now (and right now means 3-4 years time span) I don't think the Leafs give one hoot about points

JVR being a 60 point player means nothing if he's not rowing in the same direction as everyone else. If he's not owning his crap, if he's just "meh" if he's hot-dogging it, and playing his size, as well as being 100 percent professional, which also brings Kadri into play here (to which - I have been constant, I don't think "50 points and all!" Kadri is going to be a massive part of the Leafs down the road. Shanahan adds him in the future speech a lot, but if you look at Chicago or Tampa - a lot of turn around from a lot of "future" people.

I think in the organization if I had to guess - there is a list

Rielly
Nylander
Marner
_______________ <<< and this is in pen. anything above this line is basically, who we're building around, and hoping they all hit, but they all have that. I will do anything for you mentality, and you ask once, and that's the only time you have to bring it up. I'm not saying they are going to stay for 15+ years, I'm not saying they are not without their flaws

Jake
JVR
Kadri
_______<<< this line is very much in erasable pencil. I think what saves Jake and Kadri is the fact that the analytics gives them a lot of credit and they are young enough to be coached, but again, they might not be here in 4 years, simply due to the dynamics of the club, being pushed out, getting better(ish) options via trade. You never know what happens. JVR is in this list because he is (to me) not worth the money he'll want come 2018. he should be moved.

and then there is everyone else. That's the way I see it anyway.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
And I think a lot of people are looking at the contract and think "this is awesome. we should keep it." no. trade it. get maximum amount for a contract like that. the payout in 3 years isn't worth it, and I don't think he's a kind of player that I think the Leafs may want.

This is absolutely the best line of thinking as far as JVR goes. We're a rebuilding team, we literally have no use for JVR's bargain contract. The best use we can make out of it is maximizing value on it. I was pushing for Bozak to be traded so hard after his 49 points in 58 games year and everyone was too captivated with his "bargain" contract. We got a pretty similar situation (not entirely though) with JVR. A contract that we have little use for that could easily be flipped to contender and turned into some great assets.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's a legitimate first line winger on a great contract. That's what people love about him.

Not that hard to understand really.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
Most on here know that I am not his biggest fan but now I am genuinely concerned. His value may never get higher and in fact is more than likely to completely plummet.

His main plus is his beautiful contract which should make him a wanted asset but is it enough to cover the negatives?

He plays a soft game.
He disappears for games at a time.
He has no concept of defense.
And Im afraid were about to add lack of offense to his weaknesses as well.

Is now the time to sell relatively high on him?

I really don't have a problem with letting him go.
He packed it in along with the rest of the team last season.
i'm personally not in love with any players we have.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's a bit of a mystery. Hard to know how he plays with different line mates.

Maybe he'll play a more physical game with different line mates and maybe he'll be even better. Impossible to say.

But if he's on the trade market, we should get some good offers.

The majority of the time players don't, won't or can't change their game style overnight. We do know
his offense will suffer now that Kessel is gone.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Speaking of payout. JVR with a $4.25M cap hit at the 2018 trade deadline on the eve of free agency could become the best trade deadline haul by a Leafs GM since Gilmour to the Devils. That is assuming JVR produces in the 75%-85% range post-Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad