Is Morgan Rielly a legit #1 D-man? As in legit top 15 D-man in the league?

Is Rielly a legit #1 D-man?

• Total voters

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
Totes. Other than all of last year and so far this year.....we just haven't seen enough.

Right? It's funny seeing some of the same people leading the Chabot hype train in here playing the wait and see approach with Rielly.

Apparently it's just too much to ask for a little consistency and integrity.

I don't even care where people stand on an issue, I just wish they'd stop being so duplicitous.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
he's also easily top 20 in 5v5 offense and is not a liability at 5v5 defensively. he got pretty much everthing wrong, which is cool

Since the start of the 2016 season he’s 27th in the NHL in 5v5 P/60 among D-men with 2000+ min played and offence is the strangest part of his game.

The Leafs have been one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL and are bad again this year (6th worst in shot attempts given up 7th worst in scoring changes against). For some reason, however, Leaf fans always want to insist that the guy they have in key defensive roles are good defensively when the numbers say that just isn’t true. When Rielly is on the ice the Leafs give up even more shot attempts and scoring chances than they do normally. Multiple Goals above Replacement models have ranked him as a replacement level player in his own zone. The eye test shows that he makes a lot of mistakes pinching to try and create offence which often results in goals, high quality chances against and opposition zone time. He just isn’t a good defensive player.

Great PP numbers this year though. IMO he's behind Marner Tavares and Matthews in terms of driving that PP but good for him for finding a way to get himself some points there.

Reactions: Snowman

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Totes. Other than all of last year and so far this year.....we just haven't seen enough.
Did Rielly prove last year he was a slam dunk top 15 D man? The guy has never been the best defensively, so I do think the jury is still out on this would you not agree?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Did Rielly prove last year he was a slam dunk top 15 D man? The guy has never been the best defensively, so I do think the jury is still out on this would you not agree?

LOL. Yes he did prove it......maybe closer to a top-20 guy, tho. And he's very good, defensively.

And no, I do NOT agree, as the jury is obviously IN.

Yay! :)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL. Yes he did prove it......maybe closer to a top-20 guy, tho.

And no, I do NOT agree.

Well he got lit up in the playoffs being matched against Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak did he not? To be fair most lower end #1 pairing D men do. But LOL'ng to saying Rielly proved he is a legit top 15 D man off of 1 good offensive year, when his GA per 60 in his last year before last season was one of the worst in of all NHL D men is jumping the gun is it not? Not sure why you are lol'ng my reply in wanting to see another sample as in how he does against Bergeron line again in the playoffs this year, since there is a real chance of the 2 teams meeting again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
#1 D no question but probably not top 15.....yet.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Well he got lit up in the playoffs being matched against Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak did he not? To be fair most lower end #1 pairing D men do. But LOL'ng to saying Rielly proved he is a legit top 15 D man off of 1 good offensive year, when his GA per 60 in his last year before last season was one of the worst in of all NHL D men is jumping the gun is it not? Not sure why you are lol'ng my reply in wanting to see another sample as in how he does against Bergeron line again in the playoffs this year, since there is a real chance of the 2 teams meeting again.

Meh. He's a damn good #1 D-man, on a young team, so getting "lit up" in a playoff series where the whole team stunk is to be expected.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL. I never ever claimed otherwise.

Morgan Rielly.....a clear #1D......is a top-20 D-man in this league. And the entire Leaf team got lit up by the Bruins and lost in game 7 last year.

[Mod]

:)
Being 20th is not Top 15, and if every player had the excuses you have made. They would be better mythically 100% time also. Some of us want to deal in what has happened. Some want to make excuses. This is why I said we need to see more from Rielly this year. Give him a chance to redeem himself against Boston. If he is as good as you say he is, then maybe this year he won't get lit up 2 years in a row. Rielly has never been the best defensive D man. So best to see how he looks after the playoffs if there are playoffs for the Leafs this year when analysing if he is indeed a slam dunk top 15 D man.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Being 20th is not Top 15, and if every player had the excuses you have made. They would be better mythically 100% time also. Some of us want to deal in what has happened. Some want to make excuses. This is why I said we need to see more from Rielly this year. Give him a chance to redeem himself against Boston. If he is as good as you say he is, then maybe this year he won't get lit up 2 years in a row. Rielly has never been the best defensive D man. So best to see how he looks after the playoffs if there are playoffs for the Leafs this year when analysing if he is indeed a slam dunk top 15 D man.

Why are you hung up on the #15, joke? Who cares if a player is ranked 15th best or 18th best or 20th best? Rielly is SOMEWHERE in that zone and that's damn good.

And when a 23 year D-Man is relied on to carry a young, mistake-prone, learning team in the post season, his stats will be affected. It does NOT mean he's not good defensively. He's very good defensively. If you watch, you will see this.

[Mod]

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why are you hung up on the #15, joke? Who cares if a player is ranked 15th best or 18th best or 20th best? Rielly is SOMEWHERE in that zone and that's damn good.

And when a 23 year D-Man is relied on to carry a young, mistake-prone, learning team in the post season, his stats will be affected. It does NOT mean he's not good defensively. He's very good defensively. If you watch, you will see this.

Thread. Top 15. Do you see this? If you want to make a new thread changing the OP to one that favours your top 20 argument. Feel free to do so.

Also just stop with the excuses. If a player is truly good at what they do. They do not need to rely on the excuses you are making.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Thread. Top 15. Do you see this? If you want to make a new thread changing the OP to one that favours your top 20 argument. Feel free to do so.

Also just stop with the excuses. If a player is truly good at what they do. They do not need to rely on the excuses you are making.

Who cares what the thread says? He's a #1D for sure. And there might be 15 guys most people would take ahead of him. He's still 16th or 17th or 18th or whatever.

Rielly is awesome, and should easily crack 50+ points again this year, while playing strong D.

Yay!

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Last year after Bergeron's line absolutely slaughtered Rielly in the playoffs in every facet I would have said not even close.

But this year he clearly is.

Last edited:

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Had to vote no because he is not a top 15 dman in the NHL, if he can keep up his start to the season over its entirety and continue into next year maybe i'll change my mind.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
So... 50% of people here think Rielly is a top 15 D in the league.
67% of people here think Chabot is better than Rielly.
So a majority of people here think Chabot is a top 15 D in the league right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad