Is Morgan Rielly a legit #1 D-man? As in legit top 15 D-man in the league?

Is Rielly a legit #1 D-man?

• Total voters

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone voting no here either has some serious lack of hockey knowledge or a serious bias against the Leafs. There's nothing more the guy could do to prove he's a #1D at this point. Maybe you could argue against top 15, but a #1D? There's no debating that anymore.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Likely a #1D, but his massively unsustainable onSH% has inflated his point totals and people's opinion of him.

He has good, but unspectacular underlying metrics while playing easier minutes than a typical #1D.

Last year he faced 98th percentile QoC while playing with Ron Hainsey and put up excellent shot and expected goals numbers. He's been elite for a while.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
A little ironic haha.

He's currently sitting at 113th in QoC CF% for defensemen with at least 100 minutes at 5v5 and has a significantly lower QoC GF% than last season(Corsica sucks and won't sort by it to give you a ranking).
Using cf qoc this early in a season is gonna give you some sample size issues. Matt Martin has a higher cf than Auston Matthews

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Read the names, its the usual bunch of auto-no's that vote against the Leafs in every poll.

They've got nothing to hide I guess. They're either delusional or can't be taken seriously due to extreme irrational hatred for another team.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
His current QoC metrics say he plays against players who play a lot(high TOI%), but who also aren't very good(low CF%/xGF%).

He has 18 points already and is good defensively. He has a really good chance at leading defensemen in points this season and possibly winning the Norris.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He has 16 points already and is good defensively. He has a really good chance at leading defensemen in points this season and possibly winning the Norris.

I don't disagree.

I'm just saying I think there's people out there who are going to take those 16 points at face value instead of seeing the insanely high onSH%(11.5) and expect him to keep scoring at that rate.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't disagree.

I'm just saying I think there's people out there who are going to take those 16 points at face value instead of seeing the insanely high onSH%(11.5) and expect him to keep scoring at that rate.

I would doubt that there's many posters over the age of 15 who think he'll score over 100 points.

Reactions: FishManSam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->