Is Morgan Rielly a legit #1 D-man? As in legit top 15 D-man in the league?

Is Rielly a legit #1 D-man?

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Top 31? Hard to argue against it. Question is, is he top 15-20?
I get triggered by the sentiment that judges Dmen by how many points they score, but at a certain point, you gotta give credit where credit is due. Also think that Rielly isn't too bad defensively, for an offensive dman.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Even if you think there's no argument to take Rielly over Lindholm (which is wrong), there is really no argument to say Rielly is a whole tier behind. imagine how he'd look if he had Manson as his partner instead of Hainsey. Calling Lindholm an elite shutdown guy while Rielly is merely an "offensive Dman" is using biased language that is fooling nobody

Like I said, I think they're probably a wash.
If you gave Lindholm a healthy forward group like Toronto's, I'd be different as well. You can't just spin it how you'd like.

What my point was, is today; if I were told start a team with one of these two D, it'd be a wash who I pick. If I was asked this question 5 years ago, 4 years ago, 3 years ago, 2 years ago and even last year, I don't think twice about grabbing Hampus.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Like I said, I think they're probably a wash.
If you gave Lindholm a healthy forward group like Toronto's, I'd be different as well. You can't just spin it how you'd like.

What my point was, is today; if I were told start a team with one of these two D, it'd be a wash who I pick. If I was asked this question 5 years ago, 4 years ago, 3 years ago, 2 years ago and even last year, I don't think twice about grabbing Hampus.
you said the best case scenario was they're a wash, but there was also a case that Lindholm is miles ahead. But yeah, I agree it's close. I'd go with Rielly today though, Lindholm in the past

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
you said the best case scenario was they're a wash, but there was also a case that Lindholm is miles ahead. But yeah, I agree it's close. I'd go with Rielly today though, Lindholm in the past

If you read, I literally say:
At worst, Lindholm's track record far supersedes Rielly's.

So. Don't get your panties tied too hard the fact that I'm not on my knees giving Reilly an ol' polishing :laugh: versus actually making a logical argument.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
A hot start on the powerplay does not change my perception of him.
PP - In spite of the points he only the 4th most important player in the Leafs PP success.
5v5 offence - he’s good but not top 20
5v5 defence - he’s still a liability.
PK - meh
Sum total: He’s a useful player but not what I’d be looking for in a #1 D-man. Slot hit as a #2 or #3 and he’s a very valuable player.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If you read, I literally say:
At worst, Lindholm's track record far supersedes Rielly's.

So. Don't get your panties tied too hard the fact that I'm not on my knees giving Reilly an ol' polishing :laugh: versus actually making a logical argument.
yes I read it. you never said you thought they were a wash, you said that was the best possible light Rielly could be in, and the worst one is he's miles behind. you didn't express yourself very well, but it's fine. I get it now

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Look up the other D who produce like Rielly while getting the competition he does and tell me he isn't a #1 D. If he was on any other team he'd easily be seen as one. Put him in Nashville and he would easily be a #1 D.

Now how many of those guys play with Hainsey? Insane how much he has grown in two years. Leafs defense has been blown way out of the water on here for a while now and this is the year they will prove that.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Look up the other D who produce like Rielly while getting the competition he does and tell me he isn't a #1 D. If he was on any other team he'd easily be seen as one. Put him in Nashville and he would easily be a #1 D.

Now how many of those guys play with Hainsey? Insane how much he has grown in two years. Leafs defense has been blown way out of the water on here for a while now and this is the year they will prove that.
ypu thimk in Nashville hes a number 1? He's a 3 at best.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
There are 31 “legit” #1 D in the league. So yes, he is easily a legitimate #1 level defenceman in the league.

I disagree. A bunch of teams have no legit #1D.

Rielly is one but not simply because there are 31 "1st D-men" on 31 teams. Just because someone has to be in that spot, doesn't mean they SHOULD be.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I disagree. A bunch of teams have no legit #1D.

Rielly is one but not simply because there are 31 "1st D-men" on 31 teams. Just because someone has to be in that spot, doesn't mean they SHOULD be.

Some teams have none, but some teams have multiple. It balances out to 31 #1 D in the league (by definition), in my opinion.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
PP - In spite of the points he only the 4th most important player in the Leafs PP success.
PK - meh
Sum total: He’s a useful player but not what I’d be looking for in a #1 D-man. Slot hit as a #2 or #3 and he’s a very valuable player.

How is Rielly the 4th most important player on the leafs pp when he leads the team in pp points? Not only that but he and Marner get the most touches on the power play and Marner and him bring the puck in most of the time.

And if you take out the pp points he has 10 points in 14 games how is that bad?

What are you even talking about? Do you even watch the leafs?

Reactions: TDK88 and Kelly

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How is Rielly the 4th most important player on the leafs pp when he leads the team in pp points? Not only that but he and Marner get the most touches on the power play and Marner and him bring the puck in most of the time.

And if you take out the pp points he has 10 points in 14 games how is that bad?

What are you even talking about? Do you even watch the leafs?
he's also easily top 20 in 5v5 offense and is not a liability at 5v5 defensively. he got pretty much everthing wrong, which is cool

Reactions: TDK88

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
ypu thimk in Nashville hes a number 1? He's a 3 at best.

He's a #1 in the same way that Subban, Josi, and Ellis are #1's depending on who you talk there. They all get a boost for being on a strong D core. People just assume that because they perceive the Leafs D to suck, the top end players must also suck. Hence why we had people ranking Rielly as a #4 D even last year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's been a legit #1 for roughly 2 years now. And he would be comfortably a top 20-25 D in the league with a decent argument for top 15- particularly when you factor in his contract.

I also think what others who don't watch the Leafs regularly fail to realize is the fact he's never had a competent, top-pairing quality partner for the majority of the season since he's been in the league.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
PK - meh

Exactly. He is an excellent top pairing guy, but he, or whatever team he is on, need him to have a better partner/defender to best maximize his ability and the team's ability to contend.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
If you vote no you either a) don't watch hockey or understand hockey or b) watch hockey but hate the Leafs and it makes you better to vote against them in HFBoards polls

There's no cromulent reason to say no.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Needs more history to be Top 15. Definitely a lowend #1. Not that it matters any. You dont need a #1 to win, you just need a good blueline period and Rielly is easily a top pair guy. Ideally a #2 though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad