Is Morgan Rielly a legit #1 D-man? As in legit top 15 D-man in the league?

Is Rielly a legit #1 D-man?

• Total voters

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Let’s see. In no order.

Doughty
Subban
Hedman
Karlsson
Burns
Josi
Suter
Pietrangelo
Giordano
Jones
Carlson
Letang
Klingberg
OEL

Off my top are better but he’s right there with the next group so I guess I’d vote yes. Top 15ish, but certainly a number 1.

Reactions: HappyGilmourr

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Likely a #1D, but his massively unsustainable onSH% has inflated his point totals and people's opinion of him.

He has good, but unspectacular underlying metrics while playing easier minutes than a typical #1D.
he has 80 points in his last 102 games, so his offense is probably not as unsustainable as you'd want to think. as for easier minutes than a typical #1D, that's hilariously wrong

Reactions: TMLeafs17

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If John Carlson is considered a number one than so is Morgan Reilly.

Neither is in the top fifteen though imho.
That’s a good comparison.

Rielly is in my top 31 for sure, I’d say he’s in the 18-22 range. He’s definitely one for me. For goodness sakes, he has to play with Hainsey of all people.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Let’s see. In no order.

Doughty
Subban
Hedman
Karlsson
Burns
Josi
Suter
Pietrangelo
Giordano
Jones
Calrson
Mo! < < <
Letang
Klingberg
OEL

Off my top are better but he’s right there with the next group so I guess I’d vote yes. Top 15ish, but certainly a number 1.

That's whereI would put him, although I would have Kling higher and Giuo and Suter lower.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Not sure if he’s top 15 but he’s a #1 D for sure. Depending on what kind of year he has he could definately be in that top 15 conversation

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Confusing poll based on the title. Are we voting on whether Rielly is a #1D or a top 15D? There shouldn't be a need for a poll if we're voting on just being a #1D, because that is more than obvious after the last season+ of work he's put out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's a fringe number 1 Dman. He's as much a number 1 D as Turris is a number 1 C. Both kind of fit the description of their roles and even production but you won't win with either as the head of the charge. So therefore he isn't a number 1 D for me.

The current number 1 D's in the league

Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Josi
Hedman
Giordano
Burns
Pietrangelo
Letang
Suter
McDonagh
Keith
Jones
OEL
Lindholm
Ekblad
Carlson
Byfuglien

Then you have those young guys who have potential to be legit number 1's but need a season or two more to be solidified with that title

Dahlin (already close)
Provorov(already close)
Werenski (already close)
Miro
Chabot
MacAvoy
Sergachev

Then you have those bordering number 1 D territory but more as offensive defenders who don't have a bit more pedigree to be considered flat out number 1s. Or defenders who are absolutely elite defensively but need to add a bit more offensive to be legit number 1's. IMPORTANT NOTE: These defenders can put up seasons like legit number 1 guys but they fluctuate and are not consistent enough to be considered established flat out number 1 guys but rather TOP PAIRING DEFENDERS.

Klingberg
Yandle
Rielly
Barrie
Vlasic
Seabrook
Faulk
Risto
E.Johnson
Fowler
Slavin
Brodie

and a few more

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's a fringe number 1 Dman. He's as much a number 1 D as Turris is a number 1 C. Both kind of fit the description of their roles and even production but you won't win with either as the head of the charge. So therefore he isn't a number 1 D for me.

Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Josi
Hedman
Giordano
Burns
Pietrangelo
Letang
Suter
McDonagh
Keith
Jones
OEL
Lindholm
Ekblad
Carlson
Byfuglien

Then you have those young guys who have potential to be legit number 1's but need a season or two more to be solidified with that title

Dahlin (already close)
Provorov(already close)
Werenski (already close)
Chabot
MacAvoy
Sergachev

Then you have those bordering number 1 D territory but more as offensive defenders who don't have a bit more pedigree to be considered flat out number 1s. Or defenders who are absolutely elite defensively but need to add a bit more offensive to be legit number 1's. IMPORTANT NOTE: These defenders can put up seasons like legit number 1 guys but they fluctuate and are not consistent enough to be considered established flat out number 1 guys but rather TOP PAIRING DEFENDERS.

Klingberg
Yandle
Rielly
Barrie
Vlasic
Seabrook
Faulk
Risto
E.Johnson
Fowler
Slavin
Brodie

and a few more
Great post. When you go through the list you can see just how many good young D there are.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Josi
Hedman
Giordano
Burns
Pietrangelo
Letang
Suter
McDonagh
Keith
Jones
OEL
Lindholm
Ekblad
Carlson
Byfuglien

Dahlin (already close)
Provorov(already close)
Werenski (already close)
Chabot
MacAvoy
Sergachev

Klingberg
Yandle
Rielly
Barrie
Vlasic
Seabrook
Faulk
Risto
E.Johnson
Fowler
Slavin
Brodie

and a few more
Keith, McDonagh, Ekblad, Lindholm,and Carlson over Rielly and Klingberg is hilarious

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There's two different questions there. He is obviously a legit 1D but I don't know if he's top 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad