Is Morgan Rielly a legit #1 D-man? As in legit top 15 D-man in the league?

Is Rielly a legit #1 D-man?

• Total voters

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
voted no, but only because you have to be one of the league's 15 best defencemen to be a "#1 dman" in poll. which is not the case.

Rielly isn't an absolutely elite player, but he's inarguably(counting and derived stats) in the very good next tier overall.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
There's 31 #1 Ds in the league. Rielly is one of them.

So Josi isn't a #1D? What about Tavares and Malkin, are they #1C's? Does Vancouver or Ottawa get a spot on the list since your number is by team?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Last year he faced 98th percentile QoC while playing with Ron Hainsey and put up excellent shot and expected goals numbers. He's been elite for a while.

Awesome Dman. "Elite"would depend on your definition, but he's not elite to me.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Provorov and Ghost are easily better

Philly's defense is enormously overated. Flyers fans have spent years chirping out how great their defense is, but they're near the basement in terms of giving up goals. And not ALL of that is on the goalies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lindholm and Carlson are a tier above Rielly. Why are you even trying to lump Rielly with Kling?
firstly, no they aren't. I "lumped" Rielly with Klingberg because the person I was responding to had them in the same tier below the other group

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Voted no. It takes more than a month of great play for me to put someone in the top 15.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
So Josi isn't a #1D? What about Tavares and Malkin, are they #1C's? Does Vancouver or Ottawa get a spot on the list since your number is by team?
31 teams, 31 top spots.

Really not that hard to comprehend.

And yes, John Tavares is a #1 C and was a free asset to my team.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
31 teams, 31 top spots.

Really not that hard to comprehend.

And yes, John Tavares is a #1 C and was a free asset to my team.

For sure, Tavares is one of our two #1C's.

But in fairness..........just because there are 31 teams, that doesn't mean there are 31 #1D's out there.

Ottawa has no #1D on their team(no #1C either but that's another thread). Neither does Vancouver, Detroit, Colorado, NYR, Edmonton or Anaheim.

That's a bunch of teams without that clear-cut #1D on the roster. To offset that, teams like Nashville and San Jose have several.

Toronto is lucky to have Rielly. He's a #1D for sure.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Cool. Ghost, Barrie, and Yandle aren't on anyone's top 15 either. Klingberg and Carlson are also borderline so of the 11 guys on your list, less than half are fairly unanimously considered top 15 defenders.
and no one should argue that those 3 are 1ds.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Anyone voting no here either has some serious lack of hockey knowledge or a serious bias against the Leafs. There's nothing more the guy could do to prove he's a #1D at this point. Maybe you could argue against top 15, but a #1D? There's no debating that anymore.

Well I voted no because the title said top 15 and there are a lot of candidates for that list
Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Subban
Burns
OEL
Jones
Suter
Josi
Giordano
Pietrangelo
Klingberg
Carlson
Vlasic
Weber? / Lindholm? Keith?

Idk about the last spot atm, the question marks mean I'm unsure of where to slot them now. Rielly is for sure an option but its a topic for debate.

I'm not just hopping on the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately train like a goldfish.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know if I agree with the top 15 parameter, but he's definitely a 1D.

He might be both, I haven't really thought about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad