Is Mikael Wikstrand NHL ready?

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
With what I've seen during the WJC I think he can play with the Sens next year.

If we would redo our 3 months old prospects ranking, he would move from the 30th to 9th on my list.

If we had an NHL ready list for our prospects, I would rank Silverberg 1st than Lehner and him equal for 2nd place.

I like him a lot.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'd like to see him play a year in the SEL before he comes over. That said, he's made good progress this year, and the lockout has certainly helped his development by exposing him to some NHLers in Allsvenskan.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I recently contemplated posting a troll lineup with the third defense pairing being Wikstrand-Sdao but I guess I've been outdone...

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
You're my favorite, simple man using simple word. ;)

Are you guys telling me that Ek, Rundblad were more ready to play in the NHL than MW?

He has so much poise and hockey sense that he could play in our top 4.

remind me how that Rundblad experiment worked again? Just because it has been done in the past doesn't mean it should be tried again. :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Remind me how the EK experiment worked again?

Well, we waited a full year after he was drafted before thinking about giving him NHL games, and even then he needed an AHL stint. That's how the EK experiment worked.

... so if we're following Karlsson's path, Wikstrand shouldn't be considered for an NHL role until next year, with the very likely possibility that he spends part of the year with Bingo... and that's comparing our 7th round pick to the reigning Norris trophy winner. If you want to compare him to almost anyone else on earth, he needs more time.

Also: Wikstrand hasn't even played a single SEL game yet, let alone the NHL. He hasn't even made it to the "big leagues" in Sweden yet, let alone the best league in the world.

Let's give the kid some room to breathe.

TheOriginalSilf*

Like I've said before: Wikstrand hype train is going a bit too far a bit too early.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Well, we waited a full year after he was drafted before thinking about giving him NHL games, and even then he needed an AHL stint. That's how the EK experiment worked.

... so if we're following Karlsson's path, Wikstrand shouldn't be considered for an NHL role until next year, with the very likely possibility that he spends part of the year with Bingo... and that's comparing our 7th round pick to the reigning Norris trophy winner. If you want to compare him to almost anyone else on earth, he needs more time.

Also: Wikstrand hasn't even played a single SEL game yet, let alone the NHL. He hasn't even made it to the "big leagues" in Sweden yet, let alone the best league in the world.

Let's give the kid some room to breathe.

People can't read:

If you read my OP, I mention that he could could play in the NHL next year, same as EK - one year after he was drafted.

Are you talking about that Karlsson which game was full of holes when he started?

From another thread:
lundin out.

i'm betting on benoit being brought up for that 6-spot and 2nd PP QB duty, though ceci making the team is an alternate option.

If MW was drafted in the first round we would not be having this discussion.

If you look at both players Wikstrand is more NHL ready than Ceci. Ceci could not even be chosen for Canada.

Wikstrand was Sweden their number one guy. Ok maybe because of injuries but still he was their go to guy against the best opposing players

Last edited:

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
People can't read:

If you read my OP, I mention that he could could play in the NHL next year, same as EK - one year after he was drafted.

Are you talking about that Karlsson which game was full of holes when he started?

From another thread:

If MW was drafted in the first round we would not be having this discussion.

If you look at both players Wikstrand is more NHL ready than Ceci. Ceci could not even be chosen for Canada.

Wikstrand was Sweden their number one guy. Ok maybe because of injuries but still he was their go to guy against the best opposing players

WHAT?

No.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think No, and I think I'm right to say it but I guess crazier things have happened. Meszaros came up really young and was fine. Wikstrand is playing at a high level and doing well, so I guess its possible, but I think he'll need another year (after this one) of development before he seriously contends for our roster.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
No. No he's not. He'd be absolutely atrocious if put in the NHL right now and I say that with the warmest of sentiment towards the player.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
People can't read:

To be fair to those that misunderstood, your title seems to be misleading. The title asks if he is NHL ready, and that's the first thing we read so not surprising that so many people took it that way.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I think No, and I think I'm right to say it but I guess crazier things have happened. Meszaros came up really young and was fine. Wikstrand is playing at a high level and doing well, so I guess its possible, but I think he'll need another year (after this one) of development before he seriously contends for our roster.

mezzy played in the WHL though.

transplanting wikstrand from the 2nd-tier swedish league to the NHL seems like a bad idea. A really bad idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad