Is Mikael Wikstrand NHL ready?

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Is Wikstrand even a top prospect? He's not listed on the scroll screen at top of page.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Shiny new toy syndrome?
None of us had ever seen him play - so the 30th ranking was a result of that and his draft position. Now that he's been exposed to us more I think a reasonable ranking would be somewhere around 10 (ish).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think Wikstrand is the kind of player that could make the jump into a bottom pairing spot right away. Just because he can though doesn't mean he should. He's too slow and just needs to keep improving. He'll be Kuba 2.0, but not until his skating improves.

On a side note, my projection for this kid dropped a bit as the WJC tourney progressed. (Why do I cast these bold statements in stone that can never be changed!? :sarcasm:)

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I recently contemplated posting a troll lineup with the third defense pairing being Wikstrand-Sdao but I guess I've been outdone...

Having been 2009/2010 runner-up for the prestigious Hart trophy, budding National Hockey League superstar Brenden Svendsen has likely cemented himself as this team's 3rd line centre.

R2010

May 23, 2011
You're my favorite, simple man using simple word. ;)

Are you guys telling me that Ek, Rundblad were more ready to play in the NHL than MW?

He has so much poise and hockey sense that he could play in our top 4.

Of course he's not ready - but he is more ready than Rundblad. Rundblad was a dangerous dangerous defenseman at the same age as MW.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
None of us had ever seen him play - so the 30th ranking was a result of that and his draft position. Now that he's been exposed to us more I think a reasonable ranking would be somewhere around 10 (ish).

Maybe the take-away from this is not to care about rankings done by people who haven't seen the majority of the players they're ranking.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It's not certain that Wikstrand will play in the SEL next season (although he might very well be, cant say I know how his contract with Mora looks like).

There have already been and will be more players that jump from Swedens second tier to the AHL/NHL. The gap between SEL-1 and SEL-2 isnt huge, its there, but it isnt huge. For younger players top minutes in Allsvenskan (SEL-2) could be better than bottom minutes in SEL-1.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
3 years ago, Weircioch finished a dominant season in college hockey, leading many to think he was ready.

2 years ago, Rundblad dominated the SEL, leading many to think he was the best defenseman not in the NHL.

Wikstrand, played well in a tournament where the 4 defenseman ahead of him got injured, and you think hes ready.

All the power to you, if you dont mind looking ridiculous.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
The World Juniors is not the end all be all of judging prospects. Every year theirs another kid like Wikstrand who people get giant boners over and make our fan base look stupid. People need to just sit back and enjoy the WJC, not make up a scouting report based on that tourny alone. Even scouts don't do this. It makes the casual armchair GM look dumb as hell.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
What the hell differences does it make? Last I checked 'stache doesn't use hfboards to make decisions on who does and doesn't stay in his lineup. You don't make those calls so what's the point of making a thread about this??? Suppose everyone says "YES"...does that change if he's going to be playing in the O?

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
3 years ago, Weircioch finished a dominant season in college hockey, leading many to think he was ready.

2 years ago, Rundblad dominated the SEL, leading many to think he was the best defenseman not in the NHL.

Wikstrand, played well in a tournament where the 4 defenseman ahead of him got injured, and you think hes ready.

All the power to you, if you dont mind looking ridiculous.

Don't forget Kyle Turris is not an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->