Is Michkov next goalscoring king of NHL?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Those are really cool highlight packages. So many of the clips are of him just embarrassing goalies and defenders with simple moves and shots. Seems like a very high IQ player with the talent to put the puck in the net himself. I thought it was so interesting that rather than blowing a wrist shot over the goalie's glove like many of the current great scorers do, he seemed to always be looking for ways to get the goalie moving and open him up. Lots of five hole goals where he created the opening for himself by moving his feet, forcing the goalie to adjust, and then punishing the gap in the adjustment. I'm sure he's capable of ripping top corner too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This; They’ll likely be on the same level in regards to what type of prospects they are.

But Michkov’s contract with SKA St.Petersburg with be the deciding factor that Bédard will go #1.

I think it's even simpler than that. When has a Canadian center labeled a potential generational talent not been the 1OA?

I think Michkov's contract is the decision at 2OA, 3OA for GM's that don't want what is probably their big offseason decision after a terrible season to be drafting a player who may not once see the ice for their team before a decision on their job is made.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Nothing saying their similar but I remember Nail Yakupov was post to be mini ovechkin lol

There were glaring weaknesses in his game even when he was posting his numbers. No one in their right mind saw the Yak as a generational player. Michkov's game intelligence and IQ and the ability to execute what his mind wants is off the chart for his age.

Reactions: User9992

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Didn't this kid just sign a 5 year deal in the KHL?

My understanding is the contract can be bought out with his own money, but an NHL team can't pay to buy it out.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Didn't this kid just sign a 5 year deal in the KHL?

My understanding is the contract can be bought out with his own money, but an NHL team can't pay to buy it out.

How does that work? Can't an NHL team promise to give the amount of the buyout to the player later?

Reactions: User9992

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
How does that work? Can't an NHL team promise to give the amount of the buyout to the player later?

In the form of his contract I suppose, but I don't think ELCs can have signing bonuses, only performance bonuses. I can't see an NHL team just throwing him a few million in cash to buyout his KHL contract being kosher legally. This is just what I've gathered reading through his thread in the prospects forum, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable in the area can clarify.

Reactions: tenken00

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
There were glaring weaknesses in his game even when he was posting his numbers. No one in their right mind saw the Yak as a generational player. Michkov's game intelligence and IQ and the ability to execute what his mind wants is off the chart for his age.
Yup. He has a different potential transition issue though, nothing his mind wants him to do is likely to fly in the NHL. Can he be effective with a simpler game?

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
In the form of his contract I suppose, but I don't think ELCs can have signing bonuses, only performance bonuses. I can't see an NHL team just throwing him a few million in cash to buyout his KHL contract being kosher legally. This is just what I've gathered reading through his thread in the prospects forum, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable in the area can clarify.
No expert but my understanding of the issue is that current Russian labour law allows a contract to be bought out for money, period, however the NHL forbids its teams from making such buyouts. I'm not sure if the justification is that it could be seen as cap circumvention or what exactly, but it is what it is.

This is basically the same trajectory, contract-wise, as Kuznetsov. He stayed in the K until draft+4 and then came over.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Yup. He has a different potential transition issue though, nothing his mind wants him to do is likely to fly in the NHL. Can he be effective with a simpler game?

Generally players as they mature simplify their game. But if they can execute skills that no can match or stop they can carry on with them even as the systems they come up against become harder to play against.

He just needs to keep working hard, practicing and learning everything he can. Datsyuk never really simplified his game. Just a bag of tricks and high level skill coupled with great on ice intelligence, anticipation and also which Matvei has a real will to win whatever it takes.

We should not load kids with expectation Bedard or Michkov. Let them grow and develop before labeling them this and that and what potential records they may create.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Generally players as they mature simplify their game. But if they can execute skills that no can match or stop they can carry on with them even as the systems they come up against become harder to play against.
In general I very much agree with this, but in the specific case of Michkov I think it's a little more extreme than most. The guy scores lacrosse goals as part of his normal arsenal, for instance, and seems allergic to shooting the puck until he's dangled at minimum 3 guys. I'm not sure if he's taken a single slapshot in his career. If he can be like Datsyuk and carry that bag of tricks into the NHL that would be amazing, but I suspect he has more reinvention than the average bear to do and it is a real risk that he can't do it.

I'm not really ragging on him, as is I'd kill to have my team draft him (or Bedard or Wright), but because of the way he plays I would like to see what the mature version of his game looks like before speculating on his NHL transition, that's all.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
No expert but my understanding of the issue is that current Russian labour law allows a contract to be bought out for money, period, however the NHL forbids its teams from making such buyouts. I'm not sure if the justification is that it could be seen as cap circumvention or what exactly, but it is what it is.

This is basically the same trajectory, contract-wise, as Kuznetsov. He stayed in the K until draft+4 and then came over.

What if: He will make a Malkin movie: Find me if you can, spin-off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad