Is Martin enough to get this D to league average?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
When I first saw this thread I thought Paul Martin came out of retirement. Completely forgot the Rangers even hired Jacques.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
When I first saw this thread I thought Paul Martin came out of retirement. Completely forgot the Rangers even hired Jacques.
Actually, the defense is expected to be hilariously bad, which is why Steve Martin will be playing all six defensemen.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Actually, the defense is expected to be hilariously bad, which is why Steve Martin will be playing all six defensemen.

I'm sure they'll manage to win some games but much like last year.. They're gonna get stomped when teams start to ramp things up come playoff time.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I'm sure they'll manage to win some games but much like last year.. They're gonna get stomped when teams start to ramp things up come playoff time.
They’ll generate offense ... but i don’t trust them defensively. I’m expecting lots of 4-3 or 5-4 wins.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This is my opinion and how I evaluate it/break it down.

40 % is all about the capabilities of the defenseman. (Physical stature, agility, speed etc.)
25 % is the defensive system in itself.
20 % is the ability to learn and implement the system
10 % is the amount of extra effort given
5 % is miscellaneous (I have no knowledge of, or cant think of)

So, in answer to the OP, I would venture to say....probably NOT.
I dont think Martin (or anyone else for that matter) should be solely responsible on how a team fares. A coach can only relate to the players on "what he would like", yet have to evaluate "what he has" in regard to the players strengths and weaknesses, and go from there. But to a larger degree, it is all about the players.
A coach isnt out there skating, he can only make do with what he has, but he
HAS TO get the MOST out of what he has, and then and only then, he has fully done his part/job.
Go ahead, feel free to correct me, bash me, ridicule my opinion....I'm used to it.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think league average D with this offense we'll be a pretty damn good team. Wonder if you guys think he's enough to have us jump in that range.

I think the main problem was how they played defensively, not who they had playing defense. That said, not really sure if Martin will be better than prior 3 or 4 D coaches. Hopefully he is much better. We had a lot of Dmen that went downhill or plateaued after 1-3 good seasons. including Skjei, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Klein, etc.

Reactions: NYR

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Does anyone have any insight into what kind of system he runs, how he implements it, how it compliments our current players or how he's maybe tayloring it to suit them better?

That goes for the F's as well. They've all gotta be part of defense

If we could answer that then we'd have an answer to this question (and it's a great question but it goes into actual on ice tactics, coaching and legitimate hockey strategy which only 2 or 3 posters really have consistent in depth insight into...maybe 2 or 3).

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
He played largely the same exact way he did with the Jets. But in a much bigger role and with a much less of a supporting cast.
He wasn’t worth his contract last year. Don’t care what he did in Winnipeg. You make $8 million bucks. You better play like $8 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad