Is Martin enough to get this D to league average?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If they can fix the PK, that should be enough (for now), as long as the goaltending and offense perform as expected.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What are the odds of Miller making it and replacing one of the scrubs?

Just based on his experience and that fact that most dmen start out in the AHL after college, I would think the odds are pretty low. He might get a few games early though, or be on the taxi squad, depending on when AHL camps start.

There's always a chance that he makes it, of course, but I don't want to rush him just to replace someone like Smith and Johnson.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This is a very similar situation to 2010-11. Back that year, Staal and Girardi were known, Emminger was a scapegoat before putting on a Rangers jersey, Roszival was viewed as redundant, and no one knew McD would be ready and Sauer could surprise.

This year, the entire right side is known, Lindgren is good, Johnson is essentially Emminger, and the young kids are the unknown. It only takes one of Reunnenan/K. Miller/Robertson to make the team and it changes the entire dynamic. Two make the team and they'll be fine.

The only difference is the forwards were really good PKers in the Torts and AV years, but last year they were the drizzling shits.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Every year is different.
Lindgren and Fox a year more experienced, Trouba past his first year here.
Smith in a pending UFA status.
Bitetto or Tarmo or even Hajek (dare i mention the other guy...) maybe complement the returnees.
So, sure, this group's response to Jacques/Quinn could result in a tighter performance than last season(s)

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I just keep thinking/hoping Smith can turn it around, if he can get his head out of the sand, lose 21 pounds, and stay out of the box. He still has a decent tool box to play decent defense when he's not being a tool.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
No. Chances are this group will really struggle. Trouba has no partner. Smith is not a top 4 d man. Ada has no partner. Lingren and Fox have immense potential but a software slump is real. The rest are complete unknowns.

Way too many hurdles to have things break right, but I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No

1. Jack Johnson and Brendan Smith still exist

2. Trouba needs a bounce back from last year

3. Need a LHD better than Lindgren

4. Forwards aren't very good defensively and got worse with Fast's departure.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Martin just signed with the Islanders.

200.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If they had a LHD to play with Trouba I think they could have a GOOD defense, as it would allow Lindgren to play on the second pair exclusively and Smith to play on the third pair. As it stands, Johnson is horrible and will probably be just as bad as Staal. Unless Hajek, Reunanen, Miller or someone can step right in, the defense will still be bad.

Also we have some forwards who are pretty poor in their own end, which doesn't help.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No. Chances are this group will really struggle. Trouba has no partner. Smith is not a top 4 d man. Ada has no partner. Lingren and Fox have immense potential but a software slump is real. The rest are complete unknowns.

Way too many hurdles to have things break right, but I would love to be wrong.

EA does offer upgrades.........

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I just keep thinking/hoping Smith can turn it around, if he can get his head out of the sand, lose 21 pounds, and stay out of the box. He still has a decent tool box to play decent defense when he's not being a tool.

Smith has never been a smart player. His problems are all between the ears.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Some could argue Skjei's intelligence still hasn't reached the NHL......

I know you're joking but here are some more names

Roman Josi needed 3.5 years
Mattias Ekholm 4 years
Shea Theodore 3.5 years
Brady Skjei 4 years
Jaccob Slavin 4 years
Shea Weber 3 years
John Klingberg 4.5 years

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It’s not a deep bench. Their #1 isn’t really a #1 and their #5 and #6 are borderline AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad