Is Mark Stuart the worst regular PK D in the entire NHL?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very good article Garrett. While I think the more pressing issue for this team is not taking penalties with the frequency that they do, Maurice and the coaching staff need to make better decisions with on ice PK personal. I get Stuart is liked by the org, but we need to greatly limit his minutes both at es and on the PK.

White Out 403*

I always thought he had good underlying stats. This is shocking stuff. Another classic chevy move.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I SPIT HOT FIRE:

tumblr_nd9j5hnGH51sj0199o5_400.gif

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I do not know why this organizations has such a strong like for Stu. As others have stated, I also cringe anytime he is on the ice. Nice to know the eye test matches the stats. This organization is going nowhere with him playing 19 minutes a night. It must be getting to Trouba to have to play with that anchor game in and game out.

Again many posters on here recognized this in year#1. Stu is a good depth 6-8 d man who is best suited to see action due to injury and preferably on a short term. Good to see that Chevy addressed the lack of depth on LHD in the last 5 seasons.:shakehead

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He is good at one thing. Blocking shots. If only he could retrieve the puck after he blocks it.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
He is good at one thing. Blocking shots. If only he could retrieve the puck after he blocks it.

Alternatively, he blocks so many shots because he can't get the puck out of the zone; thereby giving up opposition shots.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Even then, is it just me or is he not even trying to block shots anymore? He seems to be waiving his stick around like a white cane on the PK. When he does block a shot it doesn't seem at all intentional. Maybe I'm biased.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So what do those last few posts tell us:

Jets aren't special in using bad/not optimal PKers
Stu's bad results are unlikely due to fatigue from high PK mins
Stu is the worst of the bad

C.

What do I win?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Perhaps an important part of the PK is winning races to loose pucks.

I'd argue the biggest part of a good penalty kill is just preventing the PP from setting up to begin with. Stuart is horrible at preventing clean zone entries. I'd guess the numbers are largely reflecting that.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't understand this CORSI thing and haven't really taken the time to attempt to fully understand it. I am curious garret9, is there options in your opinion on the Moose of defensemen who based on analytics would make a great PK defenseman?

I read the article and re-examined this corsi and gather that Byfuglien creates more shots on net than he does shots against? Is that correct?

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't understand this CORSI thing and haven't really taken the time to attempt to fully understand it. I am curious garret9, is there options in your opinion on the Moose of defensemen who based on analytics would make a great PK defenseman?

I read the article and re-examined this corsi and gather that Byfuglien creates more shots on net than he does shots against? Is that correct?

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

And I'm sure if you wanted to learn how to understand it, Garret would be more then happy to explain it to you. I find him to be rather open minded when it comes to stats because he as well as anyone knows they aren't the be all end all.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Wether we like it or not he'll be with the Jets for a long time. If not, probably the Moose will be the next stop.

After that he will be with TNSE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad