Is Mark Stuart the worst regular PK D in the entire NHL?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I SPIT HOT FIRE:
The Winnipeg Jets are on the penalty kill, a lot.

Since the franchise move to Winnipeg, the team has been called for 141 more penalties than they have drawn. This is the second worst differential in the entire NHL, just 20 less than the Boston Bruins and 40 more than any other team. Over the last two seasons the Jets have the worst penalty differential.

A lot of time on the penalty kill means a lot of minutes for their top killers. Mark Stuart sits at 20th in the league for short handed minutes since Jets' inaugural season.

So how has Stuart performed over that time?
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/11/26/is-mark-stuart-the-worst-regular-defensive-penalty-killer-in-the-nhl

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I guessed the answer before opening the thread. I've been saying this for some time. Trouba must hate being tethered to him constantly.

Stuart might be the most over-used defenseman in the NHL. As I pointed out yesterday, Stuart is used as often or more often than any other 5th D in the Central Division. Enough said.

It's not like the Jets don't have options to try. They actually have a very strong top-4, if Maurice would actually try a RHD on LD.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I guessed the answer before opening the thread. I've been saying this for some time. Trouba must hate being tethered to him constantly.

Stuart might be the most over-used defenseman in the NHL. As I pointed out yesterday, Stuart is used as often or more often than any other 5th D in the Central Division. Enough said.

It's not like the Jets don't have options to try. They actually have a very strong top-4, if Maurice would actually try a RHD on LD.

I still was surprised he was THE worst.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just my comments:

- I always look at PK to more of the sum of all the parts vs individuals on the PK, meaning they have to work as a unit to kill penalties. They better they work as a unit the better the penalty kill. Can the same numbers be used to reflect the unit's PK vs individual's numbers compared to the league?

- Not defending Stuart, but sometimes he's out there killing penalties because the better option to kill the penalties actually took the penalty and is unavailable for 2 minutes or more.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just my comments:

- I always look at PK to more of the sum of all the parts vs individuals on the PK, meaning they have to work as a unit to kill penalties. They better they work as a unit the better the penalty kill. Can the same numbers be used to reflect the unit's PK vs individual's numbers compared to the league?

- Not defending Stuart, but sometimes he's out there killing penalties because the better option to kill the penalties actually took the penalty and is unavailable for 2 minutes or more.

It's in there:

Again for those new with shot metrics, we have switched over to relative metrics. This looks at how the team performs with the player on the ice versus on the bench. Due to differences in team strengths, systems, and other factors, relative metrics tend to identify talent better and players changing teams tend to sustain more of their relative numbers than their raw numbers.

What's so surprising is how poorly Stuart ranks. I was guessing he'd be one of the worst, maybe somewhere in the top 30-40, but Stuart actually ends up the worst. Period.

I looked at Stuart vs the league by how much he impacts the unit and his linemates.

To your second point, I don't think that's true. He's the first option when Jets forwards are penalized also. He has the highest TOI for SH mins from forward PIMs.

Derfel*

Curious - are the next worst defensemen on the PK Boston players?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Seidenberg does sit in the bottom 15.

Don't forget this is 2011-present, and Boston used to be pretty good.

How about this year only? Stuart's been on for a lot of goals against. Has he been getting better? Or worse?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have mentioned in numerous games how some of our best PK's have been when Stuart is in the box. Is there a way to compare PK's with Stu in and out of the box?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Fire so hot my monitor melted when I opened the article. Too much truth to handle over here.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
Hope he hangs em up and joins the true north office after this contract. Great character to have around the team.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
He is really good at digging the puck out of the back of the net and firing it back towards centre ice. I see him do it lots and his form is impeccable.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
How about this year only? Stuart's been on for a lot of goals against. Has he been getting better? Or worse?

He has been on ice for the most PK GA this year, tied with Chara.

Stu's relC on PK (recent season to furthest past):
+16.1

I have mentioned in numerous games how some of our best PK's have been when Stuart is in the box. Is there a way to compare PK's with Stu in and out of the box?

The numbers I did for the league wide comparisons are Stuart on-ice vs Stuart off-ice, so it includes both him in the penalty box and him on the bench. Better sample but same effect.

Fire so hot my monitor melted when I opened the article. Too much truth to handle over here.

:nod:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Holy moly. We all knew that Stuart was bad, but this fricken bad!!!! And, Maurice still just keeps putting him out there on the ice every chance he gets on the PK.

I think that's the best evidence I've seen today that our coach is clued out & totally set in his ways.

Derfel*

How good of a PKer is Hamonic though? :D

A valid question, actually.

I was just curious to compare defensemen on teams that take a lot of penalties to teams that don't. If frequency affects performance, etc.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A valid question, actually.

I was just curious to compare defensemen on teams that take a lot of penalties to teams that don't. If frequency affects performance, etc.

Practice doesn't seem to be making perfect for Stu...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad