Is MacKinnon now in McDavid/Matthews/Laine bracket?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Before considering Mack in the upper echelon, like others, I would like to see him repeat his current season. His home and away splits are ridiculous too- total home show. Last I checked he had 63 points at home and only 28 on the road in 31 games. He has a line matching coach and takes full advantage at home. On the flip side, Mcdavid’s numbers are just ridiculous. He has surpassed Crosby and Ovechkin for career highs for even strength points. He has 23 goals the last 25 games, 21 at even strength. Only 17 powerplay points (Mack and Kucherov have 33+). Scary to think of the Oilers had an average powerplay where he would be in the standings.

Laine is a tier below both Mack and Matthews. Right now, he is too much of a one trick pony- which can be seen by his ice time (under 17 mins a game). He does do that one trick at a ridiculous level though. Guy might pot 50 while playing under 17 mins.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Lol okay bud. Laine has 43 goals. He also has more points, while Matthews is always injured. Smarten up.
Always injured? We're going off of a two season sample size, and in one of those seasons he played all 82 games.

Laine and Matthews are on a nearly identical points/goal pace this year, with Matthews facing tougher competition at a more difficult postion and demonstrating a superior defensive game.

The real question is who outside of Winnipeg or Finland would rank Laine ahead of Matthews?

Last edited by a moderator:

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
Always injured? We're going off of a two season sample size, and in one of those seasons he played all 82 games.

Laine and Matthews are on a nearly identical points/goal pace this year, with Matthews facing tougher competition at a more difficult postion and demonstrating a superior defensive game.

The real question is who outside of Winnipeg or Finland would rank Laine ahead of Matthews?
At the end of the day, Laine has more points. So we could definitely rank him ahead of Matthews. And missing games due to injury is no excuse. You should be expected to play all 82.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
At the end of the day, Laine has more points. So we could definitely rank him ahead of Matthews. And missing games due to injury is no excuse. You should be expected to play all 82.

Agreed

My post has nothing to do with AM, just a general comment towards all players that I’ve posted around this forum many times (on general forum & our team forum).....durability is a skill/trait just as important as skill or IQ in hockey....it might be even more important then skill & IQ.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Agreed

My post has nothing to do with AM, just a general comment towards all players that I’ve posted around this forum many times (on general forum & our team forum).....durability is a skill/trait just as important as skill or IQ in hockey....it might be even more important then skill & IQ.
Weird how we didn't see Winnipeg fans talk about how important durability was when Matthews played the full season and Laine got hurt

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

The real question is who outside of Winnipeg or Finland would rank Laine ahead of Matthews? s
This plays harder competition is such BS if this was the case many more 2nd liner players would be outperforming top line players , just does not happen .

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Weird how we didn't see Winnipeg fans talk about how important durability was when Matthews played the full season and Laine got hurt

Wrong.....do you want to see my multi posts on durability of players, including Jets players, over the last couple years?

Love to provide it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wrong.....do you want to see my multi posts on durability of players, including Jets players, over the last couple years?

Love to provide it.
Sure if you want. The general consensus was that Laine's pace was more important than any issue of durability. Frankly I agree more with that. A player can't really help freak injuries like that

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Sure if you want. The general consensus was that Laine's pace was more important than any issue of durability. Frankly I agree more with that. A player can't really help freak injuries like that

Have to wait till tonight, only on cell now can’t search great on it. As I stated my comment had nothing to do with AM, I stated it was towards all players.....ie on all teams including the Jets......durability is just as important as skill and IQ....I’ll repeat it again.....this has nothing to do with AM specifically.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So last year Matthews was blessed with a great "trait" in staying healthy.

Apparently people not reading entire posts......or just want to start pissing matches.

Clearly stated nothing to do with AM, I clearly directed my post towards all players regardless of team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Have to wait till tonight, only on cell now can’t search great on it. As I stated my comment had nothing to do with AM, I stated it was towards all players.....ie on all teams including the Jets......durability is just as important as skill and IQ....I’ll repeat it again.....this has nothing to do with AM specifically.
Durability really comes down to luck so it's pretty hard to call it a skill. Laine had to leave a game because he blocked a shot wrong, and I don't see why you'd hold that against him

Reactions: LeafsNation75

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
This plays harder competition is such BS if this was the case many more 2nd liner players would be outperforming top line players , just does not happen .
Why is it BS. when Matthews plays against the other teams top defensemen every game and still scores more then anyone in the league even strength. While others score the majority of there goals on the PP.

Last edited:

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
One of these things are not like the others .

MacK is definitely in the same tier as Mathews and Laine

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Nope, because they are worse players. It's common sense that who you play with and against matters. To what degree is debatable, but it certainly should not be written off as BS.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
McDavid
---
Mack
---
Matthews/Laine

....Is how I see it. Mack has put up monstrous #'s this year. He's better than Matthews or Laine. Both can reach Mack but until they do I'm ranking them below him. If you are ranking on potential and projecting, sure I can see the argument but I've watched hockey long enough to know that sometimes even very good players don't reach that level everyone thought they would.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Durability really comes down to luck so it's pretty hard to call it a skill. Laine had to leave a game because he blocked a shot wrong, and I don't see why you'd hold that against him

This should put to bed the whole “Toronto drafts/signs players who don’t get hurt” if it’s all luck. Some players are just more durable than others. It’s lucky if you are durable, I’ll give you that, but not all injuries are freak injuries or unlucky (not sure if that’s what you’re trying to say honestly, I’m just saying)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This should put to bed the whole “Toronto drafts/signs players who don’t get hurt” if it’s all luck. Some players are just more durable than others. It’s lucky if you are durable, I’ll give you that, but not all injuries are freak injuries or unlucky (not sure if that’s what you’re trying to say honestly, I’m just saying)

Playstyle and medical staff play a big role too. If your team has a fast breakout that doesn't expose you at center ice, you're probably facing less wear and tear getting forechecked or headhunted on suicide passes.

If your medical staff waits until you're 100% healthy and then some just to be safe, you're probably better off than some of the horror stories we've heard with players going back on the ice after a concussion or back spasms.

Some teams invest more than others in sport science, it stands to reason that they'd face less injuries in the long run if it's a deliberate priroity of theirs.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Playstyle and medical staff play a big role too. If your team has a fast breakout that doesn't expose you at center ice, you're probably facing less wear and tear getting forechecked or headhunted on suicide passes.

If your medical staff waits until you're 100% healthy and then some just to be safe, you're probably better off than some of the horror stories we've heard with players going back on the ice after a concussion or back spasms.

Some teams invest more than others in sport science, it stands to reason that they'd face less injuries in the long run if it's a deliberate priroity of theirs.

Very, very true.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
For me I think that Mack has to repeat or at least be PPG next year to be above Laine/Matthews. Right now I would put them in the same tier even if Mack has 60pts+ for the first time since his rookie season. I think that we Avs fans always believed in him, we saw what he could become or saw his potential even when he had down year. It was just a matter of time. He was so unlucky post after post, his linemates couldn't finish then Rantanen came which created an amazing chemistry. Maybe Laine or Matthews will get 90pts+ and be above Mack but right now they belong in the same tier IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad