Is MacKinnon now in McDavid/Matthews/Laine bracket?

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Funny that you ignored the quality of Matthews linemates while using it as an excuse for Mackinnon early in his career. Matthews had 2 rookies on his wings all of last year, one one which would be planted firmly on most teams 4th lines. He still put up 40 goals and 70 points. Far better than Mackinnon has produced up until now. He was also on pace for just under a ppg and 45 goals this year with the same linemates facing tougher competition than Barzal and Laine (highest QoC on his team).

All around a pretty terrible post. Try harder

What are you talking about? Nylander and Marner were both 60 point players and saw a lot of time on Matthews wing the entire season. He put up 69 points as well not 70. Matthews hasnt ever been a 70 point player.

Laine also has a much lower TIO and plays on the second line... still out producing Matthews, and has scored more goals as a teenager ;)

These arguments are very weak but please continue, I enjoy the laughs.

Bringing up QoC is funny, when you leave out other stats that make Matthews look worse. Its okay though we know hes only a 70 point player, Toews lit without the cups.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
What are you talking about? Nylander and Marner were both 60 point players and saw a lot of time on Matthews wing the entire season. He put up 69 points as well not 70. Matthews hasnt ever been a 70 point player.

Matthews most common linemate last year was Hyman, followed by Nylander and Connor Brown. Marner may have played 2 shifts on Matthews wing the entire year. If you don't know what you're talking about and regardless decide to share your opinion on the subject at length, it will become obvious at some point. It has. Time to wrap it up.

Splitting hairs over a single point for the sole purpose of excluding Matthews from the "70 point player club" is so incredibly petty and immature that I'm not sure why I'm even addressing it. If it's some small comfort for you, then cling to it while you can. Matthews is nearly a ppg player this year and is only going to improve from here.

Cheers

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews most common linemate last year was Hyman, followed by Nylander and Connor Brown. Marner may have played 2 shifts on Matthews wing the entire year. If you don't know what you're talking about and regardless decide to share your opinion on the subject at length, it will become obvious at some point. It has. Time to wrap it up.

Splitting hairs over a single point for the sole purpose of excluding Matthews from the "70 point player club" is so incredibly petty and immature that I'm not sure why I'm even addressing it. If it's some small comfort for you, then cling to it while you can. Matthews is nearly a ppg player this year and is only going to improve from here.

Cheers
Even today sometimes late in the 3rd period of games where the Leafs are up by 1 goal and as recent as last night, Babcock will put Brown on Matthews line instead of Nylander to defend the lead when sending out Matthews.

Also even if Matthews had got 79 points last season as an example, those same people would say why couldn't he get 80 points and join that club? Plus it's like they try and forget he scored 40 goals as a rookie.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Even today sometimes late in the 3rd period of games where the Leafs are up by 1 goal and as recent as last night, Babcock will put Brown on Matthews line instead of Nylander to defend the lead when sending out Matthews.

Also even if Matthews had got 79 points last season as an example, those same people would say why couldn't he get 80 points and join that club? Plus it's like they try and forget he scored 40 goals as a rookie.
Spot on. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug. If only they knew how transparent and pathetic it looks.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
If MacKinnon does happen to win the Hart, I don't want to see anyone posting anything embarrassing like "Matthews/Laine are on the same tier as him". You're better than that, I'd hope.

To say that Matthews/Laine are on McDavid's tier is asinine as well. They're like 2-3 tiers below him.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
McDavid has more goals for the Oilers than all but 2 others have in total points. He's in a tier to himself, but if MacKinnon replicates this season next year, that gap closes a lot.

Reactions: snowkiddin

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
And still with everything you just said, there are 20 players better than him, that other fanbases could write their own little paragraph of impressive stats for. The gap between McDavid and Matthews has about 20 players between them, you want to think that's a small gap? Sure, whatever you guys need to say to overcome the PTSD of the McDavid draft.

Ill trust Barkov, the 2nd best defensive forward in the league.

@ShizzWSOP: Which current NHL-er's skills do you admire the most?
BARKOV:
Right now, probably Auston Matthews. I don't think I've played against any better player than him. He is so good. It was tough to stay with him [on Wednesday]. It's tough to believe how good he's going to be later. He impressed me a lot yesterday. I knew before he was that good, but I didn't know he was THAT good. It's nice to play against good players and learn from them.

Barkov's Mailbag: Selanne, Shootouts & Memes

Reactions: bionic

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He is not in the McDavid bracket. McDavid is in a category all by himself, but in my opinion MacKinnon, Matthews, Laine and a few other young stars are in the same tier as of right now.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not even an Avs fan, but right now the only player in that bracket better than MacKinnon is McDavid.

Neither am I, and I agree 100%.

McDavid

MacKinnon

Matthews
Eichel
Laine

Is how I’d rank them today. Reason why I have Eichel above Laine is strictly due to position played. On a team stacked at Center, I’d take Laine.

If you’re going to add older players, there’s quite a few I’d add to the MacKinnon level ahead of Matthews.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Neither am I, and I agree 100%.

McDavid

MacKinnon

Matthews
Eichel
Laine

Is how I’d rank them today. Reason why I have Eichel above Laine is strictly due to position played. On a team stacked at Center, I’d take Laine.

If you’re going to add older players, there’s quite a few I’d add to the MacKinnon level ahead of Matthews.

I agree. The gaps there are reasonable. I think you have the order right, and the Laine/Eichel/Matthews tier is rather close, and again, you have them in the right order IMO.

I say MacKinnon is there right now because he's obviously having a breakout season, if he continues to play like this into next year (personally I see no reason why he wouldn't) then he cements his spot on that list IMO.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Correct. People who know hockey know this.

Only fanboys put Laine above Eichel and Matthews.

In my opinion they are all in the same tier. I'd go Matthews, Eichel, Laine, in that order, but I think they are close enough to be in the same tier.

Reactions: CujosMask

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I agree. The gaps there are reasonable. I think you have the order right, and the Laine/Eichel/Matthews tier is rather close, and again, you have them in the right order IMO.

I say MacKinnon is there right now because he's obviously having a breakout season, if he continues to play like this into next year (personally I see no reason why he wouldn't) then he cements his spot on that list IMO.

Absolutely, I think at any given point throughout a season the players become interchangeable to a certain degree. Laine could be better than Matthews for a 3 month stretch, for example.

I think MacKinnon will maintain that edge, a lot of people forget he was very very highly touted in his draft year (best prospect since Tavares, at the time). It’s just taken him a bit more time than most #1’s to reach his ceiling. Like yourself, I don’t see a reason he can’t maintain this level or very close to it.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Who in their right mind puts Matthews above Laine

I’d say any reasonable minded knowledgeable hockey person.

He scores goals at approximately the same clip, is a better playmaker, is better defensively and he’s also a center (a much more covetted position).

I absolutely despise the Leafs, and their fans who go around propping Matthews at any and every turn... but it IS the proper order here.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Absolutely, I think at any given point throughout a season the players become interchangeable to a certain degree. Laine could be better than Matthews for a 3 month stretch, for example.

I think MacKinnon will maintain that edge, a lot of people forget he was very very highly touted in his draft year (best prospect since Tavares, at the time). It’s just taken him a bit more time than most #1’s to reach his ceiling. Like yourself, I don’t see a reason he can’t maintain this level or very close to it.

Agree 100%. Edmonton/Colorado/Toronto/Buffalo/Winnipeg are all extremely lucky to have these players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad