Is Laine going to surpass Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
put it this way:

He is the only player in the NHL who is on pace for surpassing Ovechkin, actually he has had a way better start considering Laine started in the NHL younger than Ovechkin.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
put it this way:

He is the only player in the NHL who is on pace for surpassing Ovechkin, actually he has had a way better start considering Laine started in the NHL younger than Ovechkin.

:laugh: Touche.

It's only 14 games in.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Whatever the size of the sample is, when you see this level of skill, desire, and competitiveness - you take notice. Yes, Laine very much reminds me of the young Ovi. I love his personality, love that hockey is fun for him. Hope the kid has Ovechkin's durability. Then sky is the limit. In terms of numbers, too. Considering how much time Ovi lost due to lockouts, we'll never know what the numbers could have been for him.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Nope. Gretzky is. He could score on you with so many different shots. "Put it where the goalie is not." That's all.

I think the majority agrees that the "greatest goal scorer" title is between Gretzky, Lemieux, Bobby Hull, Richard and Ovechkin.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
:facepalm: ... Can HfBoards please be less hyper-projectionist?

I like this comment.

And hastily adding that trying to maintain this stance DOES NOT make anybody 'Hater'.

Let's assume that Laine indeed have all tools and potential to surpass Ovi. Even then the road he must walk forward to ever reach Ovi is very, very long, while Ovi is not currently passively sitting there just waiting that someone would catch him production-wise. Amounts of possible obstacles and road blocks on that road for Laine are almost immeasurable, uncountable. If you gonna project over decade(s) you must also add these kind evaluations to your formulas. It's not all about the men, it's also about the road on which he is walking and what is a landscape by.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Surpass Ovechkin how? This season? Career? Laine has a lethal shot and it's one of the best in the league at the young age of 18. He will also get his opportunities playing with the Jets with all those prospects. Book Laine getting 40-50 goals a season. He will be very close to Ovechkin's pace IMO.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Surpass Ovechkin how? This season? Career? Laine has a lethal shot and it's one of the best in the league at the young age of 18. He will also get his opportunities playing with the Jets with all those prospects. Book Laine getting 40-50 goals a season. He will be very close to Ovechkin's pace IMO.

Both ways, but particularly career-wise. Fundamental asymmetry between their projections is that Ovi have already cemented it as an objective fact that he can score goals like none else (Era dependant). Several times, consistently, and over a big and internally consistent data sample set.

Laine have observed finessed in 14 NHL games un-precedented manner, and probably sky high ceiling.

To make rational answers to the Question on the title requires we recognize that such answers and comparisons are necessarily highly speculative, and at best still containing overwhelming amount of all kind sources of uncertainties.

Oh. How I love that kid!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both ways, but particularly career-wise. Fundamental asymmetry between their projections is that Ovi have already cemented it as an objective fact that he can score goals like none else (Era dependant). Several times, consistently, and over a big and internally consistent data sample set.

Laine have observed finessed in 14 NHL games un-precedented manner, and probably sky high ceiling.

To make rational answers to the Question on the title requires we recognize that such answers and comparisons are necessarily highly speculative, and at best still containing overwhelming amount of all kind sources of uncertainties.

Oh. How I love that kid!

He's big and can shoot and score! I snagged him in both my keeper pools with my 1st pick!

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
ok seriously? kid hasnt played 2 months of NHL hockey yet and we're talking about moving AO aside?

I like the kid but please dont start the nonsense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
ok seriously? kid hasnt played 2 months of NHL hockey yet and we're talking about moving AO aside?

I like the kid but please dont start the nonsense.

It's not nonsense (debatable but not nonsense). Laine is the real deal for a few seasons now. It's not like he came from nowhere right?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
It's still only 573 goals.

That's my bad. I counted his GP in playoffs as goals.

573, 616. Doesn't really change anything. Considering that Ovy is going to score a lot more than that it's just getting harder and harder for Laine to counter that. I'm not even sure how will Maurice/coaches see Laine in the future, do they want to make him even more versatile player (keep him like this) or do they take off his defensive responsibility so that he could score more?

I would love to see that happen, but if I had gun to my head I would say Ovechkin in a split second. It's easier to answer this in five years. I love both players, but I think Ovechkin is just too much for him.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Ovechkin will be the better player for now especially when Laine has played with much better linemates than Ovy did in his rookie season.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Nope. Gretzky is. He could score on you with so many different shots. "Put it where the goalie is not." That's all.

This is why Gretz was such a terrible coach lol. The theory is simple and obvious but we know in practical application not everyone can do it just because he can.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Skating, passing, shooting, stickhandling, deking, hitting, Laine will likely not surpass Ovechkin in any of those areas. He'll probably have a better defensive game but I don't see anything else.

Laine will not surpass Ovechkin in skating, ever. Probably not in hitting either. Everything else, already today, goes to Laine. Watch his games.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
14 games? 14? Come on. We weren't even 100% sure what we had with Ovie after 14 freakin games.

Let's just sit back and watch what is hopefully another great NHLer without this ridiculousness.

This.

It's freaking 14 games, Jets fans need to cool their Jets. Let's see where he's at game 50 until we start asking if he's going to surpass one of the greatest goal scorer of all time...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Its feasible Laine gets the 'best goal scorer in the game' mantle passed to him this year.

I mean he's going to need a lot more to pass OV's legacy, but from what I've seen it's definitely in the realm of possibility he is considered the best goal scorer by years end.

Also possible this is the year McDavid takes the mantle from Crosby as best player in the world.

There's a changing of the guard happening. If not this season, then the next.

dpospish

Jan 27, 2012
This.

It's freaking 14 games, Jets fans need to cool their Jets. Let's see where he's at game 50 until we start asking if he's going to surpass one of the greatest goal scorer of all time...

Well this thread was started by an Ovechkin hater, not a Jet's fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad