Is Konstantinov the greatest Red Wing player without his number in the rafters?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
The accident that seriously injured Vladimir Konstantinov and Sergei Mnatsakanov on Friday June 13th 1997, has been regarded as the darkest day in Detroit Red Wings franchise history. But out of the ashes of that tragedy came a drive and inspiration that carried the team to back to back chamionships, and still to this day inspires not just the current players, but Red Wings fans, and fans of hockey in general. The crowd goes wild when they show Vladdy watching the game from the Illitch box. Konstantinov has become a symbol of fighting on through hard times and adversity (something that resonates with the people of Detroit) and an example that even tragedy can inspire greatness. Is Vladimir Konstantinov the greatest player in Red Wings history to not have a banner in the rafters? Should his number be retired? Does the number 16 deserve to be up there with the other six, soon to be seven (Lidstrom)? I certainly wouldn't object. Who else do you think deserves that honor?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
I'm sure some people are going to say Sid Howe is the greatest. But I wasn't around back then...

Edit: Whoops, Red Kelly not Sid Howe

Last edited:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Sergei Fedorov followed closely by Red Kelly

16 isn't available for use as it is. Lets leave well enough alone.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Red Kelly

If they really aren't going to do it Sergei Fedorov quite easily.

But Red Kelly and Sid Howe are both excellent examples. As much as I like Vlad not sure if he really even goes over Bill Quackenbush or Jack Stewart either in terms of just D-man.

In fact Shanahan and Chelios (really shouldn't retire him at all in my opinion) also put in decade turns. Kostantinov was coming into his own and was a great player but a lot of this is based on us imaging he follows every season playing just like 96-97. But Shanahan was fairly vital, still not up to Wings standards, and Vladdy isn't really either.

I honestly surprised they don't re-issue it, either retire it or use it. The plans for both 6 or 16 are confusing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Red Kelly

If they really aren't going to do it Sergei Fedorov quite easily.

But Red Kelly and Sid Howe are both excellent examples. As much as I like Vlad not sure if he really even goes over Bill Quackenbush or Jack Stewart either in terms of just D-man.

In fact Shanahan and Chelios (really shouldn't retire him at all in my opinion) also put in decade turns. Kostantinov was coming into his own and was a great player but a lot of this is based on us imaging he follows every season playing just like 96-97. But Shanahan was fairly vital, still not up to Wings standards, and Vladdy isn't really either.

I honestly surprised they don't re-issue it, either retire it or use it. The plans for both 6 or 16 are confusing.

I think they should just leave them be. It's an honor without actually retiring it and hanging them from the rafters. I think it's just right.

leova

Feb 28, 2008
i don't know, as much as I loved Fedorov, seeing Addelkader in #8 looks pretty good...

edit: wait, Fedorov wasn't 8....that was Larionov!

so yeah, retire Sergei's number!

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
there's actually someone out there that thinks Konstantinov was better than Kelly? :laugh:

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
On the topic of retiring numbers, I was wondering if we see 13 and/or 40 retired? Would be weird to see anybody else sporting those numbers in the future, but of course that's not enough reason for an organization to retire a player's jersey. I'd say you'd be crazy not to retire Datsyuk's jersey.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
As much as I love Vladdie, his career has a big incomplete mark on it. 16 deserves to be a reserved number like 6, but don't put his number in the rafters.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Fedorov, Kelly, Shanahan.

Not Shanahan. He's waaay down the list, even just of recent players. Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Chelios, Osgood, Datsyuk, Zetterberg all are ahead of Shanahan IMHO.

As much as I love Vladdie, his career has a big incomplete mark on it. 16 deserves to be a reserved number like 6, but don't put his number in the rafters.

Your comment is quite ironic, as 6 should be hung from the rafters seeing as it was the first number retired by the organization.

IMHO, the following numbers are not up and absolutely belong up:

4 - Red Kelly
5 - Nicklas Lidstrom
6 - Larry Aurie
30 - Chris Osgood
91 - Sergei Fedorov

After that, the following have arguments for a banner depending on how strict you are:

2 - Jack Stewart
5 - Ebbie Goodfellow
7 - Norm Ullman (yes, I know 7 is already retired)
8 - Syd Howe
16 - Vladimir Konstantinov

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Not Shanahan. He's waaay down the list, even just of recent players. Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Chelios, Osgood, Datsyuk, Zetterberg all are ahead of Shanahan IMHO.

Your comment is quite ironic, as 6 should be hung from the rafters seeing as it was the first number retired by the organization.

IMHO, the following numbers are not up and absolutely belong up:

4 - Red Kelly
5 - Nicklas Lidstrom
6 - Larry Aurie
30 - Chris Osgood
91 - Sergei Fedorov

After that, the following have arguments for a banner depending on how strict you are:

2 - Jack Stewart
5 - Ebbie Goodfellow
7 - Norm Ullman (yes, I know 7 is already retired)
8 - Syd Howe
16 - Vladimir Konstantinov

First 3 that you mentioned yes they should be up. Osgood no. Fedorov maybe. 2nd group outside of konstantinov I really don't know enough to answer. Konstantinov in my eyes doesn't being the term of his career. Great player but not long enough. The honor system now works for him.

Jack Stewart and Ebbie Goodfellow where if i remember correctly where players from the 30-50's ? I believe Syd and Norm where from the 50-60's? If I am wrong please let me know.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Were they planning to retire Lidstrom's number this year but then scrapped that because of the lockout? Or did nothing official ever get announced?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
His career was way too short. I think it is fine as it is now.

#5 is no discussion.

#13 and #40 is doubtfull.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia