Is keeping Wilson with the team the right decision?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
...then why wouldn't he be on your list? :huh:

Because Semin wasn't a skapegoat IMO. The team had many years to analyze his contributions and weigh extending him. If you want him added to my informal list, fine, but I've never taken the stance that Semin alone was an issue that dragged the team down.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It may be hard to ignore for the near future. I expect it to be bumped with even a single mistake he makes.

Any every goala scored, of course.

Or sneaky pick play while gettin an assist on the game tying goal. Point scoring streak!!

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Tom Wilson

Sorry if there is an existing thread already, I could not see one. I'm looking for opinions on Tom from fans who have watched him alot his year. What is his potential? Will he be a future top 6 player for you guys? I see he only gets around 7 minutes of ice time/game - would he be better served playing in the AHL getting more quality minutes?
Thanks!

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
It's impossible to tell given his limited role on the team and I think he would most certainly be in a better position playing in the OHL (he's not eligible for the AHL yet). Hard to evaluate his offensive upside when all he does is skate and hit.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Do all 52 of you guys still think it was a good decision to keep him up?

I liked the pick and think Wilson would be a hell of a player if developed by any other team.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
The only thing he contributes at the NHL level is his ability to fight and hit. Everything else has been below average which is why he should be in the OHL developing his offensive game and getting 20 minutes a night instead of 5 in the NHL playing with Volpatti and Beagle.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am fine with him here.

While I am in the minority, I think most 19 year olds of his skill set don't became significantly different players by age 20 TOI or not. If MOAR TOI was all that was ever needed every vet would be kicked aside for the shiny new toy league wide for decades now.

That aside, Oates is an idiot. Not even giving the kid a chance to move up the lineup, I think Oates is afraid of Brouwer but I would stick the kid at 2RW for a game. Brouwer can do just fine fighting and hitting on 4.

Give the kid a taste. He is ready for more challenges but braintrust Oates would rather give the vets no new challenges and accept failure.

Burakovsky95*

I am fine with him here.

While I am in the minority, I think most 19 year olds of his skill set don't became significantly different players by age 20 TOI or not. If MOAR TOI was all that was ever needed every vet would be kicked aside for the shiny new toy league wide for decades now.

That aside, Oates is an idiot. Not even giving the kid a chance to move up the lineup, I think Oates is afraid of Brouwer but I would stick the kid at 2RW for a game. Brouwer can do just fine fighting and hitting on 4.

Give the kid a taste. He is ready for more challenges but braintrust Oates would rather give the vets no new challenges and accept failure.

This. If I had known he'd be plugging away on the 4th line next to Volpatti getting 6 minutes a night all year, my vote in this poll would probably change.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wilson a RH twig to center, out of his natural position, pure brilliance

THE missing ingredient on the team is stick sync at C.

ocd.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm fine with him here the rest of this year. Next year, depending on the roster and an option to play in the AHL, the decision might be different. He's got half a season to prove he's here to stay NOW.

I'm with Randy....they've got to give him a taste of some top-6 time. Hell even on the PP, park him in the crease and turn him lose.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I remain fine with him being where he is. the reOP's idea that he would be a good player if developed by another team only points to....forget it.

Something will change at somepoint. We know McPhee and the staff love this player. We know that the players in the league already respect him and many fear him. We know that as a right shot he will only play right wing. Ovechkin, Brouwer and Ward are all under contract for next season. So, either one is moved or the kid players in Hershey, where he would likely be if he was allowed.

Its been in my mind for a while that Brouwer might be traded for a veteran defense near the deadline opening up a spot higher in the lineup for Wilson. Particularly with Laich's unstable health its safer to save that roster move for as late in the season as possible.

If that doesn't happen, I'd expect Wilson in Hershey next season.

edit: with a healthy rw lineup, you would put the 2nd line rw on the 4th line while keeping fehr at LW to give the kid some minutes? why not give him fehr's minutes? fehr has one goal in the last 15 games.

Last edited:

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
Honestly after talking to a couple of my brothers WHL friends they really make it sound like even practising against NHL players everyday develops you a lot quicker than playing against junior players, I agree in certain cases Wilson being one of them

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Besides his skating has anyone really noticed Wilson improving in any other aspect of his game? Genuine question, because if he has I haven't noticed it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly after talking to a couple of my brothers WHL friends they really make it sound like even practising against NHL players everyday develops you a lot quicker than playing against junior players, I agree in certain cases Wilson being one of them

Good stuff....there are a few posters here who DON'T want to hear that at all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Besides his skating has anyone really noticed Wilson improving in any other aspect of his game? Genuine question, because if he has I haven't noticed it.

He's not the type of player IMO where you're going to see dramatic changes. I think he's one of those type of players where if it all works out, things will simply start clicking for him at some point. Again, I've always felt like he was a guy who would probably not be near his potential until probably his 2nd contract where as some of the biggest critics around here of him being in the NHL, seem to think he'll blossom into a top-6 forward in a year or two going back to Jr's immediately. I'm not so sure he's really a top-6 guy long-term. Hope so, but I'm thinking middle-6 myself.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Which somehow makes that decision ok then?

Have you ever played "up" in sports? Playing against higher caliber competition, even in practice makes you better. Just my opinion from doing so in several sports over the years.

And yes, the decision is OK for this year. Contrary to popular belief around here, 1 season where a rookie player gets limited ice time doesn't ruin the guy long-term.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Have you ever played "up" in sports? Playing against higher caliber competition, even in practice makes you better. Just my opinion from doing so in several sports over the years.

And yes, the decision is OK for this year. Contrary to popular belief around here, 1 season where a rookie player gets limited ice time doesn't ruin the guy long-term.

I'm sure your experience is relevant here.

Wilson has performed about as poorly as possible and he plays with garbage. At best he gets an I here. But I'm not buying that he benefits from spending time with professionals known for their lack of professionalism or from practicing with better players known to have poor practice habits.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

yup. go back and look again at shanahan's breakdown on the hit he got the major penalty for. Wilson played that situation by the numbers. its just the kind of play where rookies make mistakes. instead that was a how to tutorial.

his decision making has become quite good as the season has progressed. he plays like garbage?? come on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad