Is keeping Wilson with the team the right decision?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fair enough, the initial post suggested you were referring to the Wilson decision.

That's why I've always said that each situation needs to be measured on its own. There's no book on how to do this right. What works for one guy doesn't mean it works for all.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wilson has looked really fast when I see him dominating in his 6 TOI game in and game out.

No joking he looks fast. There is more to development than nurturing offensive skill all the way to the hall of fame.

Lets say he has committed this year to becoming a better skater, working with Brooksie etc. If his skating improves dramatically in his rookie year presume from pro coaches training guidance facilities etc, does that qualify as a good year for him; would you say he has improved?

Or is it PP time, goal scoring glory, or bust.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
**** yeah.

He has gotten a few points lately, bumped up the TOI and has looked fine. He has more jump and I would swear I am seeing some offense even when not getting points.

Even in his limited role he has not been a liability, has been finding his place in the league, something he would never learn in Plymouth. Even if there for a year, he would be stuck on 4 next season anyways. You'd want him in Hershey, not me. His skating is fine. He is not a bean pole that needs to fill out.

Our boy Willy likes to throw em but seems to pick his spots wisely. The only thing holding him back is 5 proven vet RWs ahead of him and a GM without a clue how to address a team strength / weakness.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson will end up being your favorite player til he starts scoring 20+ goals and becomes too important to fight much. there should be a couple of good years in there though

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
His skating is much better than I expected. While he isn't exactly getting a huge opportunity here, I think it was the right decision rather than back to juniors. AHL is where he belongs but that silly rule prevents it. Based on what I've seen, I think he tops out as a second liner during his 5 prime years that is a very well respected fighter who can score 20 goals.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I would love to see them give him some PP time and even a few shifts with Nick and OV. You never know how it would work out with him creating space.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps don't park anyone in front of the net per say. ov would kill him with a shot like he did clark and that would be the end of that anyway.

Wilson is a rw and the caps would need a new coach for him to skate with ov.

frankly, erat-grabovski-wilson would be interesting to watch.

I think come deadline there's a chance that brouwer gets moved to open up ice time for Wilson. I could be wrong there but keeping Wilson and brouwer into next season means Wilson remains stuck on 4 and he's a better player than that.

I think that keeping brouwer til the deadline makes sense because after moving him early one injury runs the caps right out of depth at that position.

GoGoGrabo

Nov 29, 2008
the caps don't park anyone in front of the net per say. ov would kill him with a shot like he did clark and that would be the end of that anyway.

Wilson is a rw and the caps would need a new coach for him to skate with ov.

frankly, erat-grabovski-wilson would be interesting to watch.

I think come deadline there's a chance that brouwer gets moved to open up ice time for Wilson. I could be wrong there but keeping Wilson and brouwer into next season means Wilson remains stuck on 4 and he's a better player than that.

I think that keeping brouwer til the deadline makes sense because after moving him early one injury runs the caps right out of depth at that position.

Erat needs to play on the 2nd line RW. He played RW his whole life until Oates showed up with his ridiculous lefties play left, righties play right bs.

As for Wilson, he needs to be on the top line with Ovie. MarJoke gets pushed out of the crease way too easily, he also never creates turnovers or wins board battles because he's allergic to contact. For Wilson to contribute and have his first year in the NHL be worth it lines should be

Wilson - Backstrom - Ovi
(trade) - Grabo - Erat
Chimera - MarJoke- Ward
Wellman - Latta - Talkbro

scratch/traded: Beagle/Volpatt/Laich

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'd question whether we move Ward or Brouwer first. I think both fit 3rd line RW perfectly, and while Ward seems better currently and he's a little chaper, he's older too. I'm curious if they'd rather keep Brouwer for 500k more just due to him being younger and the ability to fill in on the 2nd when needed.

I do agree, howver, that one should be moved so Wilson can get more playing time.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Moving Brouwer at the deadline does fit with the buy high sell low paradigm McPhee has been perfecting. You may be on to something.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you can make a case that ward has only one more year on his contract and his slot is where Wilson ends up. but ward has also proven to be a much better playoff player than brouwer.

for me, I trade brouwer and keep ward. ward's contract creates flexibility where the caps can extend him or let him go based on his play.

Halpysback*

There is not one reason to keep Brouwer over Ward if we are trying to ice a successful competitive team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I like Wilson's possession habits lately and he's got a bit of playmaking ability but I'd like to see some glimpse of finishing ability before talking him up as a potential top six forward. The habits and hockey IQ may be there but it looks pretty fringy unless he adds more pure finishing ability. Failing that he'll need to become a complete force in the crease ala Knuble.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like Wilson's possession habits lately and he's got a bit of playmaking ability but I'd like to see some glimpse of finishing ability before talking him up as a potential top six forward. The habits and hockey IQ may be there but it looks pretty fringy unless he adds more pure finishing ability. Failing that he'll need to become a complete force in the crease ala Knuble.

That sounds like a pretty solid description. The only think I take issue with is term fringy and only then because its being applied to a teenager. as if what you see now is all you get.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

It sounds really dumb, but I think he could fill that Knuble role easily. To me, that big body in front of the crease is all about willingness and size. He's got the given size and with his fighting ability, I really think he's willing to take the body if parked in front of the net.

I just don't think we've got Coaches who'll ask that of him. :shakehead

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Knuble had very underrated hands. It's not just about getting in front of the net, you have to be able to get your stick on the puck and get it on net cleanly. Knuble was excellent at that, and when his dexterity declined with age was a big part of why his production took a nosedive his last season here. A lot of the pucks he was burying earlier in his career ended up being jammed against a defender's stick or the goalies pad. Size and a willingness to compete are a big part of it, but it takes some skill and practice to get good enough to get as many "garbage goals" as Knuble did. Wilson may be able to fill that role someday, but he's not ready yet.

Wilsons' shown more offensively in the past few games than he did earlier in the season, but he has a ways to go. I wouldn't be in a rush to get him into a top six spot, unless you're giving up on the season.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Blasphemy! Too much RW depth.

45451559.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad