Is Jonathan Quick still a top 5 starter?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
As I mentioned, I agree with your general thesis - although it doesn't apply to all goaltenders (give Louis Domingue or Keith Kinkaid a shot - even with how you handle it - and see what you get).

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
As I mentioned, I agree with your general thesis - although it doesn't apply to all goaltenders (give Louis Domingue or Keith Kinkaid a shot - even with how you handle it - and see what you get).

That could be simply due to too small of a sample size, no?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm not saying you're wrong, but what I'm trying to show you is how a strong shot suppressing defense can deflate a SV%. Goalies who play on teams with good defenses see fewer shots per game. Quick seeing 25 shots in complete games is practically a regular occurrence for him. What I'm trying to show is how that hurts his SV%.

this is just anecdotal but i seem to recall the Wild under Lemaire were not a shot suppression team, but they were good at limiting high percentage shots. How would shot quality play into a goalies efficacy regarding sv%? edit: i mean to say our goalies usually solid stats were always attributed to the system.

this stuff is fascinating as the skater stats get most of the talk.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Both those points would prove my point that you also bolded, that they are elite defensively. You may say his SV% is low because of their shot suppression skill, but how come you also don't mention that his GAA is low because of their shot suppression? This team is top 10 in GA with Peter Budaj in net. You don't think that their play artificially deflates his GAA as well as SV%? It goes both ways. Brian Elliot had amazing stats on another team who is known for their shot suppression. How come his SV% wasn't artificially deflated?

You can argue he's elite, I simply don't see it. He's above average until playoff time which is where he plays his best.

I don't care if the "flavor of the year elite goalie" puts up .950/under 2 goals a game, if he can't do it in the playoff, it doesn't mean jack squat
I'll take an above average goalie who I've seen do it in the playoffs year after year, over some guy with "elite " stats who can't. The league is full of those guys who can never win in the playoffs.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
this is just anecdotal but i seem to recall the Wild under Lemaire were not a shot suppression team, but they were good at limiting high percentage shots. How would shot quality play into a goalies efficacy regarding sv%? edit: i mean to say our goalies usually solid stats were always attributed to the system.

this stuff is fascinating as the skater stats get most of the talk.

I can tell you he does face on average the longest distance shots in the league. Now that doesn't mean he's not facing the highest quality shots because distance isn't what determines quality.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Where'd all the Devils fans go who claimed Schneider to be the far superior goalie? He has a GAA close to 3.00 and a .904 save percentage. Let's hear those excuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad