Is Jonathan Quick still a top 5 starter?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
His numbers have really fallen off last year and this year. When the Kings won their last cup, he was top 3 only behind Henrik and Price.

He is always injured. Have injuries caught up to him?

Yitz

May 9, 2009
His numbers have really fallen off last year and this year. When the Kings won their last cup, he was top 3 only behind Henrik and Price.

Last year he had 40 wins, a GAA of 2.22, and was a finalist for the Vezina Trophy so he was still top 3. This year he allowed one goal against on 15 shots in the first period of the first game of the year before suffering a groin injury and going on LTIR, so I think we can agree that his statline isn't very meaningful. The real question is, will he still be top 3 after this groin injury?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He hasn't been in years. Neither Price nor Quick were better than Rask when the Kings won their last cup either

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

24Pk5dX.jpg

Not counting playoffs(which he hasn't missed due to injury)
2008-2009 Played in 44 games, took over starting job eventually.
2009-2010 Played in 72 games.
2010-2011 Played in 61 games.
2011-2012 Played in 69 games.
2012-2013 Played in 37 games(most of the shortened season).
2013-2014 Played in 49 games. Had his first groin injury in December that year.
2014-2015 Played in 72 games.
2015-2016 Played in 68 games.
Current season, groin injury in game 1.

He's missed less time than Carey Price, btw.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's better than people who just look at overall save percentage suggest. Getting into adjusted save percentages shows him to be a very good goalie. I'm not sure he's top 5, or ever was outside of 2011, but he's top 10. The people here who think he's average or closer to 20th make me laugh

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Oh another thread dumping on Quick.

And LOL at him always being injuired. Please research first before creating inaccurate threads

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He played one period this year and looked fine doing it...his numbers would be among the best in the league this year if you're going by that sample size, lol. Most of his 'injures' have been taken care of in the offseasons as you can see by his games played. And as far as his numbers, one poster created a long, well-thought out post discussing them, but people have their minds made up on their narratives, so....http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1999335&highlight=jonathan+quick+elite

He's not the elite, positional, percentage-playing butterfly goalie that everyone likes, but he's a frigging workhorse, and as clutch as they come. I wouldn't want anyone else in net in the playoffs.

Oh wait, I mean Kopitar isn't good, he's propped up by Doughty and Quick. Doughty isn't any good, he's propped up by Kopitar and Quick. And of course Quick isn't any good, he's propped up by Kopitar and Doughty. That's how this works, right?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Last year he had 40 wins, a GAA of 2.22, and was a finalist for the Vezina Trophy so he was still top 3. This year he allowed one goal against on 15 shots in the first period of the first game of the year before suffering a groin injury and going on LTIR, so I think we can agree that his statline isn't very meaningful. The real question is, will he still be top 3 after this groin injury?
I feel like you're leaving something out.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I do think the cumulative injuries question is a fair one, though he hasn't had repetitive injuries yet. He's had back surgery and came back monstrous , he had that wrist(?) surgery, and now his groin is wonky...that last one worries me given his playstyle, no lie. I think that was always Kings' fans concerns with his contract; we know he's a competitor and has the mental game down pretty hardcore, but will his body hold up to the beating he gives it night and and night out spazzing around at times?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Regardless of how good Quick is that was joke having him as a finalist instead of Schneider. They need to stop putting so much stock into wins, it's not Cory Schneider's fault the Devils couldn't shoot the puck into the Atlantic ocean.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

GAA is more to do with the team than goalie himself (Unless the goalie is a master in puck abilities or is terrible in puck abilities, see Rinne-Crawford in 2014-2015, and Cam Talbot last year for the Oilers and Dubnyk, in those scenarios the one who has the lower GAA is better, since their save percentage are more or less identical (Besides Cbot and Rinne's 5on5 sv% was higher in those scenarios). Quick's save percentage the last four years have been .902, .915, and .918 for two straight seasons. Very bad, average, and above average. Take away lockout season and those stats are good, especially since save percentage is affected by shots allowed, and Kings are great at suppressing them. However, again for a top 5 starter, he'd have to post at least near elite numbers in one of those years, which he didn't. Elliott faced less shots in the seasons where Quick's save percentage wasn't above average and still had higher save percentage, granted he had much easier matchups and sheltered role, but still you get my point.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Regardless of how good Quick is that was joke having him as a finalist instead of Schneider. They need to stop putting so much stock into wins, it's not Cory Schneider's fault the Devils couldn't shoot the puck into the Atlantic ocean.

I've heard people say Brodeur was better than Schneider in the 2013-2014 season, because he had more wins LOL.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think he is definitely top 10. Top 5, not sure. Price, Holtby, who else... idk. I like Quick, so I want to say he's top 5, but that's mostly just me liking his style. Keep in mind that Holtby's my favourite goalie. Also, I know I'm biased, but I think Talbot is slowly creeping up the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad