Is Jon Cooper our weakest link?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Disgusting...

He should've already been on the hot seat before the season, then he signs a new contract right before the playoffs. Obvious it was a bad decision. They should've gone the Caps/Trotz route, play out the playoffs and let go off him no matter the outcome.
yep they got scared he could win a cup and then walk to a pay day like trotz. But cooper not betting on himself was a weak move proves he knows he can't do it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Series isn't over yet but if he can't do it this year with this roster, he's never going to do it here. You cannot get worse than a first round #1 seed vs WC2 exit with this roster, any coaching change would be lateral at worse.

It'll depend on who we change it to if we make the change. If you put a guy like AV at the bench we are gonna get killed come playoff time because the sit back we saw in game 1 pales in comparison to years if him doing it with the NYR. Yeo and Hitch think it's 1998, the game has passed Ruff by, Willie D and Housely might be two of the worst coaches I've seen. Our options are not good if he's fired.

Your best bet is promoting Richards

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It'll depend on who we change it to if we make the change. If you put a guy like AV at the bench we are gonna get killed come playoff time because the sit back we saw in game 1 pales in comparison to years if him doing it with the NYR. Yeo and Hitch think it's 1998, the game has passed Ruff by, Willie D and Housely might be two of the worst coaches I've seen. Our options are not good if he's fired.

Your best bet is promoting Richards
I agree since coach Q took the panthers Job the only thing I want to do right now is make Todd Richards the head coach next year don't even fire cooper lol make him the senior adviser since we got to pay him lol. interesting this is all i could find on what cooper makes Jon Cooper - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I mean, better coaches have become available and we sat on our hands.

Gallant. Trotz. Quenneville. These are all fantastic coaches we would be lucky to have.

Even then, we don't need a big name guy. We need a coach who will drive this team. The on ice leadership is the quiet and collected type, so it's a bad mix when the coach is also the same. Need someone with some fire and the ability to drive.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Not that I think it would happen, but if cooper did get sacked I could see JBB appointing Benoit Groulx, already knows the system and has been highly rated to become a NHL coach from a lot of people.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Boucher is available :sarcasm:
Boucher would get them riled up at least. I suspect Cooper just lets the players figure it out themselves and they fail. Boucher would also dissect every single play and work with the team to improve what he saw. That said Boucher also failed to adapt in the playoffs once his 1-3-1 failed. But at least he’d be involved and in the players’ ears.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Boucher would get them riled up at least. I suspect Cooper just lets the players figure it out themselves and they fail. Boucher would also dissect every single play and work with the team to improve what he saw. That said Boucher also failed to adapt in the playoffs once his 1-3-1 failed. But at least he’d be involved and in the players’ ears.
Honestly LS, you're right. Emotions are f***ing contagious. You see the guy who is supposed to lead you as a stone cold slate of no emotion, you're likely going to emulate that. If you see someone who is supposed to lead you fired up and willing to kill for you, that'll reflect in your play.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Man Tampa has been lifeless on the bench these last 2 losses.

For 1 year, just a single year I could see a Boucher team do it. He has never been embarassed in an elimation game like Cooper has in Chicago games 5/6 and Washington 6/7. Boucher has been eliminated in one of the best games in Lightning history vs Boston and a double OT vs Pittsburgh.

My ideal coach was Gallant though, he just seems to be able to draw the most potential out of any of the teams he's coached.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015

For 1 year, just a single year I could see a Boucher team do it. He has never been embarassed in an elimation game like Cooper has in Chicago games 5/6 and Washington 6/7. Boucher has been eliminated in one of the best games in Lightning history vs Boston and a double OT vs Pittsburgh.

My ideal coach was Gallant though, he just seems to be able to draw the most potential out of any of the teams he's coached.
Would be really interesting to see what Gallant could do with our roster, I'm not going to lie.

AlmostThere242

Nov 16, 2014
I wanted Trotz the moment he became available. He laid the blueprint on how teams can shut us down completely. He's the guy that knew our flaws and could have self scouted ways to fix them better than anyone. But no...instead we stick with a coach who cant scheme his way to beat the trap. Not to mention emotionally motivating the players.

Yzerman gets a lot of praise and rightfully so, but I'm extremely disappointed he couldn't forsee this shit. If average Joe's like me could see this why not the Yzergod? Why not billionaire Vinik? It was clear as day to me and others, we needed a guy like Trotz point blank period.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not that I think it would happen, but if cooper did get sacked I could see JBB appointing Benoit Groulx, already knows the system and has been highly rated to become a NHL coach from a lot of people.
I mean it's kind of been a pattern with us to get the next AHL guy.

darknife2311

Jun 29, 2018
If you fired Cooper I see Groulx to become your next coach... He's doing a very nice job with Syracruse this year he will be a perfect fit

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wanted Trotz the moment he became available. He laid the blueprint on how teams can shut us down completely. He's the guy that knew our flaws and could have self scouted ways to fix them better than anyone. But no...instead we stick with a coach who cant scheme his way to beat the trap. Not to mention emotionally motivating the players.

Yzerman gets a lot of praise and rightfully so, but I'm extremely disappointed he couldn't forsee this ****. If average Joe's like me could see this why not the Yzergod? Why not billionaire Vinik? It was clear as day to me and others, we needed a guy like Trotz point blank period.
i really don't get it cooper has no answer for the trap they clog the middle and clog there own zone and we are forced to dump and chase and we are done cooper has no answer for it. How does our top hockey brass JBB and yzerman not see this ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Problem with boucher is he would have 1-2 really great seasons then by year three you got to get rid of him because then players will tune him out.

AlmostThere242

Nov 16, 2014
i really don't get it cooper has no answer for the trap they clog the middle and clog there own zone and we are forced to dump and chase and we are done cooper has no answer for it. How does our top hockey brass JBB and yzerman not see this ?
Your guess is as good as mine. Look what Trotz has done with the Isles, a not so great roster. Imagine what he'd do here with our lineup...

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
When was the last time Cooper was directly questioned on his teams inability to produce an attack one the other team falls back into a shell/trap?

Has there been any reporters who have called him out on this happening multiple times in the playoffs?

Reactions: Hoek

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
When was the last time Cooper was directly questioned on his teams inability to produce an attack one the other team falls back into a shell/trap?

Has there been any reporters who have called him out on this happening multiple times in the playoffs?
They may indirectly ask him, but a coach is just going to answer in generalities in that situation anyway. Any reporter that tries to grill him is going to find themselves on the outside looking in pretty quickly. Tampa beat reporters would anyway. A reporter just covering the series from some other market might be able to get away with it, but I don't think it's happened yet.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Trotz won 7 series out of 10 with Caps + the Cup = was "fired"
Copper is already 7 out 11 and no Cup. So he most certainly can be fired.

Is it actually his fault that Bolts lost 4 games in a row in playoffs and scored only 4 goals in those games (1 goal per game)? I don't think so.

Bolts players should start play better. A coach should motivate them to play, but at the end of the day he is not on the ice, players are.

Last edited:

BoltsFanPinellasPark

Apr 18, 2018
Trotz won 7 series out of 10 with Caps + the Cup = was "fired"
Copper is already 7 out 11 and no Cup. So he most certainly can be fired.

Is it actually his fault that Bolts lost 4 games in a row in playoffs and scored only 4 goals in those games (1 goal per game)?
I don't think so. Bolts players should start play better. A coach should motivate them to play, but at the end of the day he is not on the ice, players are.

And cooper has said as much recently in fact i think it was after game 1. This imo is a poor attitude and doesnt show leadership. Even tho ita absolutely correct, its not something a coach should ever convey, much less utter from his mouth.

As a coach he must lead this team better in the playoffs. He must see things as a whole and guide the team with his decision making.

I dont know what the team needs to do on the ice. I do know the team needs leadership.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
And cooper has said as much recently in fact i think it was after game 1. This imo is a poor attitude and doesnt show leadership. Even tho ita absolutely correct, its not something a coach should ever convey, much less utter from his mouth.

As a coach he must lead this team better in the playoffs. He must see things as a whole and guide the team with his decision making.

I dont know what the team needs to do on the ice. I do know the team needs leadership.

Then how did Bolts win 7 series before with this poor leadership?
How did Bolts win 62 games in this regular season with this poor leadership?
How did SY hired this poor leader in the 1st place?

I mean if you want to fire Cooper, I am not going to argue with it, but you still need some arguments to support your opinion. Cause for the moment it just 4 bad games vs 62 wins season + 7 series in playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad