Is John Tavares a future HOF?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Not really. Benn stole that Ross. Even with a Ross, that's no guarantee. Did he stand out in international tournys? Sundin did that, plus had mad consistency. Tavares needs to up his resume a bit. He also plays in an afterthought market.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
possible, but it also depends on what team he has around him in the rest of his prime. does he stay with the Isles and do they continue to struggle? neither one is a certainty.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I feel like even that is debatable. 26 isn't young for a #1OA forward.

I don't see it. But then again, I didn't see the likes of Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Duff or Nieuwendyk being inducted.

That's the thing. It seems like a lot of posters, like the first one I quoted, are going by their own standards. Guys like Housley and Andreychuk are terrible inductions and shouldn't be used to define a normal HOF inductee, but Tavares, up to this point, has been a better player than guys like Gartner or Nieuwendyk. I dont see how thats debatable unless you are blinded by disparities in scoring levels between eras, or put extra stock into playoff resumes. Even then...Tavares not a hall of very good player? Maybe if he retires now...but otherwise seriously? And gartner is HOF? Oh well...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Depends on the team he plays on. Maybe if he continues on a team of this current level, probably if he's surrounded by more quality that leads to more hardware.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No. Numbers and accomplishments just not good enough. That's why he should join another team next summer.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's hard to judge players today against those even a decade ago because the top players in today's game hover around PPG and occasionally go over 90 or on rare occasions 100. If Tavares prime was 2005 to 2012 he might have a couple 100 point seasons already.

He's one of the leagues top talents and has been a top 5 player in the game for at least a couple years. If he gets to 500 career goals and 1200 career points I bet he makes it, first ballot even.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think it depends entirely on how he does over the next 8-12 years of his career. I don't think he's done enough, in terms of individual awards/accolades, to make it at this point. So he'll have to rely on milestones and longevity to do so.

In other words, he'll have to get in for the same reason guys like Gartner, Modano, Andreychuk, Sundin got in, rather than guys like Forsberg, Lindros, etc. The former got in because of longevity and sheer numbers, the latter were "best in the league" type players for a lot of their primes.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He never seemed to reach that "elite-dominant" level.

After Crosby, McDavid, Malkin there is a level just underneath. It consists of players that have been outright dominant ppg + players.

These players would include the likes of Kane, Iginla, Zetterberg, Datsyuk.

Tavares at his career ppg (0.92) x 82 games = 75 points per season average.

He's a 1st line C, no doubt... be he never grew into one of those guys that is considered a constant top 5 player in the world, or very elite talent.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
He's had a better prime than players like andreychuk, gartner and ciccarelli,however those players aren't in there because of a dominating prime, they're hofers due to having long consistent careers. If Tavares is going in the hall it will be because of a long career, not because he we dominant in any one period.u

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Haha what? How is Doug Weight comparable to Tavares?

Weight was a very good #1 center in the NHL for a long time who put up over 1000 points. No hardware but won a cup and was good internationally. Do you see Tavares ending up with a significantly better resume? I don't.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Weight was a very good #1 center in the NHL for a long time who put up over 1000 points. No hardware but won a cup and was good internationally. Do you see Tavares ending up with a significantly better resume? I don't.

Tavares already has a decidedly better peak and prime

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's the thing. It seems like a lot of posters, like the first one I quoted, are going by their own standards. Guys like Housley and Andreychuk are terrible inductions and shouldn't be used to define a normal HOF inductee, but Tavares, up to this point, has been a better player than guys like Gartner or Nieuwendyk. I dont see how thats debatable unless you are blinded by disparities in scoring levels between eras, or put extra stock into playoff resumes. Even then...Tavares not a hall of very good player? Maybe if he retires now...but otherwise seriously? And gartner is HOF? Oh well...
Gartner at least has a couple goal-scoring records, and is remembered as one of the fastest players in NHL history. Players like that are exceptions regardless.

Tavares so far has had a good career as an above-average #1C, yeah he could play for a long time, so we'll see. Maybe I just not familiar enough with HHOF standards.

I don't see it. But then again, I didn't see the likes of Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Duff or Nieuwendyk being inducted.
True but I'd bet if you drew up a list of >/= comparisons for Tavares, most of them wouldn't be in. Someone like Nieuwendyk also accomplished way more in the NHL.

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
He never seemed to reach that "elite-dominant" level.

After Crosby, McDavid, Malkin there is a level just underneath. It consists of players that have been outright dominant ppg + players.

These players would include the likes of Kane, Iginla, Zetterberg, Datsyuk.

Tavares at his career ppg (0.92) x 82 games = 75 points per season average.

He's a 1st line C, no doubt... be he never grew into one of those guys that is considered a constant top 5 player in the world, or very elite talent.

Where would Ovechkin fall in your description? Crosby level or Kane level?

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
When it's all said and done, yea, I can see him being in the hall.....

If he re-signs with the islanders, and they don't win anything, I can see them trading him to a contender at the end of the contract, so he can pull a Ray Bourque. I'd be very surprised if he didn't end up with at least 1 cup by the end of his career

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Too early to call but he is on track. Similar pace to a few inducted guys (Modano, Sundin). Was also one point short of Art Ross and already twice in top 3 for Hart.

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He'll get in. If he sniffs 1000 points or PPG in his career he'll be a lock.
There are virtually no standards for entry into the HHOF and being Canadian is a big advantage.

Also, I think JT won a World Junior Championship so that will give him a leg up as well.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Currently, no. But he has the ability to become one. The first step might be leaving Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad