Is John Tavares a future HOF?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I realize how hyped he was coming into the league and how good of a player he is, but no awards and little to no post-season success (not his fault but it is there), makes me think he won't touch the HOF. The up-side is that he is young and still has years to go, but with the ascension of McJesus and the Pens in his conference, success is going to come hard for him.

I think his problem was that he had far too many superstars (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane, and now McJesus), to deal with in order to win some hardware, which is disappointing because he was looked at as a "generational prospect", combined with the fact that his team is underwhelming, makes it hard for a case to be made.

What do you guys think?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not an exact comparison, but he's reminding me more and more of the Patrick Ewing of the NHL.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He'll make it in. There are many forwards who never won an MVP or scoring title and still easily made the HOF.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Given a long career with a natural decline, odds are he probably does. The HOF really isnt that hard to get into. Though if he doesn't win any awards, itd be helpful if he has a good playoff career

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Henrik Lundqvist is a better comparison to him especially where they are both playing

Also a good one. It's obviously tough to compare the NHL to the NBA but Lundqvist at least won the Vezina and has been regarded as the best/2nd best goalie in the world for a while now.

Ewing didn't win anything AFAIK, except rookie of the year. But he was a top 10 player in most statistical categories for a a long time. Sounds like Tavares to me.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He has around 500 points now and is only 26. The next 10 to 12 years if he can average 60 points. That will put career around 1200 points. He should be able to make it with 1200 points. Of course awards and cup and ast helps. As of now I only think he has 1 first team all star and that's it.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He's still the type of player a team can win the cup with him as their best player. If he leaves the Islanders, he has a chance. Snow is wasting his prime. I feel for Islanders fans.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not based on what we've seen to date. Very good player... but he hasn't done enough individually or as part of a team to earn it yet.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
If not for Benn's big final game, Tavares would have the 2015 Ross. He's also responsible for getting the Isles into the playoffs whatsoever, and in 2016 he had one of those hero moments in game 6 against the Panthers. Scores the game tying goal in the dying seconds of the third, wins it in OT. His OT goal is probably the most important goal scored by an Islander since 1993.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Not a lock now, but if he continues to be a very good player for ~10 more years, he will probably make it. HoF is not as hard to make as people here make it out to be. You don't need awards or incredible playoff success. There is plenty precedent for consistently very good players making it with little to no personal hardware or playoff success. 1000+ points in this era will probably be enough, especially for a guy like Tavares who already has 4-5 elite seasons under his belt.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I love hall of fame debates.

Tavares will make it. He will still win some hardware in the form of a conn smythe with the Habs in 2019. But, he won't need the hardware to make it.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
He's definatly not there yet. But he is still young enough to fill out his resumé. Need a couple of top10 scoring finshes, some playoff success and perhaps some hardware

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't see it. But then again, I didn't see the likes of Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Duff or Nieuwendyk being inducted.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He's not a 1st ballot and if he keeps on playing the way he has he's in the tier right below the HOF...however he definitely has the potential to make the HOF, especially if he's actually put in a decent situation with linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad