Is John Gibson the current Vezina favourite?

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I'm in the camp that feels the impact of goalies is over-exaggerated in general. Not just the fact that the defensive system and coaching impacts goaltending immensely. But goalies are so volatile year-over-year just inherently that it's difficult to rely on them. So many goalies have Vezina calibre years only to fall off the map the year after and then recover sometime later.

Having said all of that, John Gibson is one of the few goalies that I think is absolutely elite, and a huge difference maker. He's so good (and consistent!!) and his team has been so bad recently. Plus it's not like he popped up out of nowhere. He has always been a blue chip prospect and has succeeded everywhere he's gone.

A Vezina is definitely in his future, this year or not.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
The good news is, everyone will vote after the second period of the Ducks-Pens game today, so i think unless he absolutely implodes over the next 20... good as his.

Reactions: Number8
Oct 18, 2011
The season has barely started

but let's be clear last year it was a complete embarrassment where he finished in the voting, the team was absolutely awful and he kept them afloat when they should have had the worst record in the league. Anyways what I like the most about him is how he improves on his weak points, his puck handling was awful a few years ago but he has improved alot

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He's been Vezina calibre for a few seasons. He's basically put that team on his back for 2+ seasons. His biggest issue and what might very well keep him from being a favourite at this stage is the fact that he has a hard time staying healthy. If he can stay healthy, he has to be one of the favourites.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I think the best goalie in the league Andrei Vasilevskiy will win again, but it's really early.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The sheer number of people in this thread who have no idea of what Gibson’s play has been like the last several years explains why he isn’t. Small market, west coast, mediocre to poor team, with a bunch of old school voters who don’t stay up to watch late games.

Doesn’t mean he’s not that good though.
How early do you West-coasters think we go to bed here? lol

But yeah the guy definitely does not get his due.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How early do you West-coasters think we go to bed here? lol
Based on all the Detroit fans whose lives were ruined by having to play 10-12 games per year at a 10PM start time, about 3PM.

Based on the number of times there has routinely been no coverage of the late games on NHL tonight, well before 1AM.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's not just the sample size, Gibson was really good last season too. He should probably be the favorite anyway.

Based on all the Detroit fans whose lives were ruined by having to play 10-12 games per year at a 10PM start time, about 3PM.

Based on the number of times there has routinely been no coverage of the late games on NHL tonight, well before 1AM.
:laugh:

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
The team in front of him (so far) has done a significantly better job at "protecting" him. Last year he was over played and burned out which naturally lead to injury and drop in play. It's only been four games, but I don't think anyone that watches him semi-regularly doubts his ability.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I don't understand why everyone is saying this. There are obviously favourites for most awards. McDavid for Hart, McDavid/Kucherov for Art Ross, Ovechkin for Rocket, probably Hedman for Norris, etc. We're not guaranteeing that these people will win - it's just assigning current probabilities, taking everything into account. Based on Gibson's track record and how he looks so far, he should be in the conversation for Vezina.

It's not Gibson, It's the team infront of him that may keep him from winning the vezina. Gibson's start is no fluke but not sure the same can be said for the team infront of him.

Reactions: Doothpick

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Gibson will be the best goalie in the league in my opinion. Possibly undisputed at some point. But to the people saying he was the best goalie last year. His play dipped last season. Whether it was due to the terrible team, fatigue, etc. It doesn’t matter. He wasn’t good for stretches which doesn’t just fall on the team. He takes responsibility for that too just like any other netminder in the league. He’s a great goalie already with his peak not even hit yet. But the bad team excuse doesn’t work when your own play falls as well and his did last season.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Wait, we are having a Vezina conversation on October 12th? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Vasilevskiy may be a perennial Vezina favorite because of how spectacular he is. Gibson, Price, Bob, Bishop, etc etc are all great goalies. Lucky to have them in the league.

Reactions: Chips

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wait, we are having a Vezina conversation on October 12th? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Vasilevskiy may be a perennial Vezina favorite because of how spectacular he is. Gibson, Price, Bob, Bishop, etc etc are all great goalies. Lucky to have them in the league.

But that's the thing about Gibson, too.

Lots of people in here acting like it's hot-takey that he's included as if it's only a few good games, but he's been nails for a few years, just been shorted by injury and a bad team and he still did more than his fair share of getting the Ducks points.

He's just picking up where he left off and there's no reason he shouldn't be in the conversation all year given health.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
He seems to keep getting better. This year in 3 games he's led the Ducks (!) to 3 straight wins, giving up a total of 3 goals and .970 save %. He's never even been a Vezina finalist before but this could be the year. Lack of wins could potentially hurt him though.
Do you think McDavid is a good bet to score 205 points this season? Because that’s what he’s on pace for.

My point is not to undermine Gibson’s start, or McDavid’ points, or Neal’s goals, or Matthews goal’s, or the Canes 5-0 start, or any of the MANY impressive starts to this season. They are great and many, not all, will likely have great seasons.

But it’s been between 3-5 games. Can we not start talking about the Vezina yet?!?!?! Jesus this place makes my head hurt sometimes......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad