Is John Gibson the current Vezina favourite?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He should have been last year if we weren't Randy-capped.

The Ducks might've been the worst team in the league last year if not for Gibson. I don't think there's a goalie in the league I'd take over him, especially not when you factor in age and contract. It's too early to have a real favorite for the Vezina, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Gibson won it.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The sheer number of people in this thread who have no idea of what Gibson’s play has been like the last several years explains why he isn’t. Small market, west coast, mediocre to poor team, with a bunch of old school voters who don’t stay up to watch late games.

Doesn’t mean he’s not that good though.
I’m not sure if anyone in here is unaware of how good he is. But as I understand it, the award is handed out every season based only on play that season, so Gibson is not even close to a winner yet. There’s hardly been a race, he’s practically not out of the gate yet. There’s several goalies who could compete with him. At least a few who definitely will

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
John Gibson is going to win the Hart if healthy IMO. They got the team and coaching situation ironed out. He finally has a chance to have a peak season.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I’m not sure if anyone in here is unaware of how good he is. But as I understand it, the award is handed out every season based only on play that season, so Gibson is not even close to a winner yet. There’s hardly been a race, he’s practically not out of the gate yet. There’s several goalies who could compete with him. At least a few who definitely will
If you put any other goalie on Randy Carlyle ducks last season you would be surprised.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Not just Vezina, but I believe he could also win the Hart if the Ducks make the playoffs.

On a side note, Eakins could also win the Jack Adams if he brings the Ducks into the playoffs.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well he's the current best 'tender in the league over the last couple years, but that doesn't necessarily make him a favorite to win this award.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The sheer number of people in this thread who have no idea of what Gibson’s play has been like the last several years explains why he isn’t. Small market, west coast, mediocre to poor team, with a bunch of old school voters who don’t stay up to watch late games.

Doesn’t mean he’s not that good though.
The bolded is the issue. Gibson's main competition isn't the other goalies, it's the criteria upon which the Vezina is determined and those who do the voting. Wins and save percentage are team-oriented statistics used to reward an individual-based trophy. Hockey is a team sport but some effort should be exerted to control for outside variables such as the quality of the roster surrounding the goalie. Advanced statistics aren't for everyone, notably those who vote on the NHL awards, but goals saved above expectation, for example, should factor into the decision-making process.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Obcourse he is a Vezina candidate, always thought he was one the best Goalies in the NHL. Anaheim really did a good job drafting him with a bonus pick they acquired from the 2011 draft that also netted Rakell.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If you put any other goalie on Randy Carlyle ducks last season you would be surprised.
Again, nobody in here is unaware of how good he was last year. The point is nobody is the favorite this year, because nothing has happened yet. He’s played what, like 3 games? Literally just one game right now could drastically alter a goalies position.

Generally the same goalie isn’t winning over and over precisely because there’s lots of great goalies, and they all have up and down years. So no, he’s not the favorite right now.

That seems to be the point most are making, not that he isn’t great or one of the best goalies. It’s the thread more than the goalie lol

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
The season just started... Sure right now he is leading the race stat wise but there is 97% of the regular season still remaining.

Gibson is a great goalie and one day he might win the Vezina and who knows maybe he will do that this season, but the first 10 or even 20 games of a season don't mean anything.

Right now the favourites to win any award should be the players who have been nominated recent seasons. Sure new nominees and winners will come out every now and then and complete surprise breakout or lucky seasons as well but this early in the season we should expect those who have already been there to do it again.

I love Gibson tho.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's been a week. There is no favourite.

Though if healthy there's no reason for me to think he's not in the top 3 in the very least come seasons end.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Nobody is a favourite at any of the awards. It's been 1 ****ing week.

I don't understand why everyone is saying this. There are obviously favourites for most awards. McDavid for Hart, McDavid/Kucherov for Art Ross, Ovechkin for Rocket, probably Hedman for Norris, etc. We're not guaranteeing that these people will win - it's just assigning current probabilities, taking everything into account. Based on Gibson's track record and how he looks so far, he should be in the conversation for Vezina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad