Is Joe Thornton a hall-of-famer?

Is Thornton a hall-of-famer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
The Art Ross + Hart trophy winning, 1500 pts having, Olympic WJC and 2-time WCH gold medalist Joe Thornton?

nah. Marleau+Pavelski couldn't score in playoffs and he put up a stinker vs the Habs. No chance. Total bum.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
Yeah, for sure, but he should have retired. Players that hold on too long tarnish their great careers and that really, really happened to Joe this year for many.

Why should a player do anything other than what they flippin' want for themselves? Especially in the case of Thornton who was chasing a first cup.

There is no way Thornton is anything less than a first ballot hall-of-famer.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Why should a player do anything other than what they flippin' want for themselves? Especially in the case of Thornton who was chasing a first cup.

There is no way Thornton is anything less than a first ballot hall-of-famer.
Fair enough. I’m a fan and agree he’s a no brainer for the Hall..

... it’s just tough to watch an all time great player struggle to keep up like he did for much of the season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, for sure, but he should have retired. Players that hold on too long tarnish their great careers and that really, really happened to Joe this year for many.

This is in no way true. When a player hangs on too long, people forget about the tail end of their career after time passes. Not a single person held on so long as to take away their Hall of Fame credentials. It doesn't happen because people don't actually tarnish their legacies in doing so. It's an assertion without any real evidence that supports the claim.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
This is in no way true. When a player hangs on too long, people forget about the tail end of their career after time passes. Not a single person held on so long as to take away their Hall of Fame credentials. It doesn't happen because people don't actually tarnish their legacies in doing so. It's an assertion without any real evidence that supports the claim.
I’m speaking from a fans perspective. For some younger fans who didn’t see Thornton in his prime, this will be their memory. It was hard to watch.

I agree the Hall doesn’t care about this. They look at peak and body of work as they should.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
How the actual %)("/%*(!/ is this even a question? He's probably an upper third HHOF'er!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m speaking from a fans perspective. For some younger fans who didn’t see Thornton in his prime, this will be their memory.

I agree the Hall doesn’t care about this. They look at peak and body of work as they should.

Do younger fans who only saw the last years of Eric Lindros think he's not a Hall of Famer even though that's literally where he is when he was clearly a shell of his former self? No because when players like this are discussed, their peak and body of work are discussed and they learn. That's why it's a silly argument.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Do younger fans who only saw the last years of Eric Lindros think he's not a Hall of Famer even though that's literally where he is when he was clearly a shell of his former self? No because when players like this are discussed, their peak and body of work are discussed and they learn. That's why it's a silly argument.
I don’t know? I do know that there’s a lot of hockey talk taking place away from HF boards and not all discussions include a million stats and numbers.

Some people just go off what they see.

You’re entirely too defensive over a topic that doesn’t seem to be disputed in sports; some athletes hold on too long.

Nothing wrong with it, but for some, it might change the perception a bit.

Have a nice day.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He's pretty much the same level of player as Jarome Iginla, during the same era, who also didn't win a cup and was a first ballot HoFer

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t know? I do know that there’s a lot of hockey talk taking place away from HF boards and not all discussions include a million stats and numbers.

Some people just go off what they see.

You’re entirely too defensive over a topic that doesn’t seem to be disputed in sports; some athletes hold on too long.

Nothing wrong with it, but for some, it might change the perception a bit.

Have a nice day.

I'm not defensive about anything. I'm pointing out a flaw in your reasoning because it isn't supported by anything. You just believe it's true for no actual reason.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yes, slam dunk hall of famer. Dude played a good portion of his hockey in the DPE and has over a 1000 assists.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm not defensive about anything. I'm pointing out a flaw in your reasoning because it isn't supported by anything. You just believe it's true for no actual reason.
I believe it’s true because it’s happened to me, and I’ve had the discussion with others about athletes in hockey and other sports about the same thing.

That’s good enough for me. You don’t agree? That’s fine, too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I believe it’s true because it’s happened to me, and I’ve had the discussion with others about athletes in hockey and other sports about the same thing.

That’s good enough for me. You don’t agree? That’s fine, too.

Namely who that you didn't evolve on once you were given more information? If you don't think it is relevant to the Hall of Fame, you know the thread topic, why do you think saying their careers are tarnished matters in this context?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
LOL not to be overly rude, but he's a *expletive* first ballot HOFer twice every day of the week and three times on Sunday. Maybe this isn't a troll question, but it's hard to tell.

Better question is what sport has a player in the top-15 all time for points at the time of retirement, who's not in it's Hall of Fame???

Reactions: abo9 and DaveG

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Namely who that you didn't evolve on once you were given more information? If you don't think it is relevant to the Hall of Fame, you know the thread topic, why do you think saying their careers are tarnished matters in this context?
Because some people come here to read and share opinions.

I didn’t post looking for a debate or to ‘make an argument’.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Obviously having a Stanley Cup helps your case for HOF, but I don't think Joe needs it, he's good without it

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I’m speaking from a fans perspective. For some younger fans who didn’t see Thornton in his prime, this will be their memory. It was hard to watch.

Your point reminds me of watching an old Gary Roberts play with the Pens as I started watching hockey. Would have never thought that he once had 53 goals and 90 pts in a season, or even that he accumulated 909 points over his career!

It's fair to think that younger fan's initial reaction will be "wtf", then they'll hopefully check the stats and some highlights and realize that they were watching a very special player - although an old and slow version haha

Reactions: sparxx87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad