Is Joe Thornton a hall-of-famer?

Is Thornton a hall-of-famer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's gonna finish 14th overall in total points all-time (assuming his NHL career is over and I think it is, I think he'll go to the Swiss League and play another half decade).

Everyone from 1 through 28, with the exception of Joe obviously, are in the hall. Forget everything else, on point totals alone Joe Thornton belongs in the Hall of Fame.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, for sure, but he should have retired. Players that hold on too long tarnish their great careers and that really, really happened to Joe this year for many.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
He's probably the best NHL player to not have a Cup. So either Thornton gets in, or no one should ever be allowed in the Hall without a Cup.

That means he's in. End of story.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even for a seasoned veteran it must be special to get to play for the boyhood favorites, Thornton didn't finish on a high note but I don't think he regrets that and I don't think others should either.

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
I recently met a time traveller who confirmed that Thirnton will be a Hall of Famer.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
He's probably the best NHL player to not have a Cup. So either Thornton gets in, or no one should ever be allowed in the Hall without a Cup.

That means he's in. End of story.

He's definitely behind Brad Park and Marcel Dionne. But Thornton very well could be the 3rd greatest player (who spent most/all of his career in the NHL) without a Stanley Cup.

(EDIT - he's probably behind Borje Salming as well).

Last edited:

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
He's definitely behind Brad Park and Marcel Dionne. But Thornton very well could be the 3rd greatest player (who spent most/all of his career in the NHL) without a Stanley Cup.

I threw in the "probably" because I hadn't totally thought it through. I'll leave it without an edit, but say now that he's "one of" the best all time without a Cup.

Point still stands. If he's not allowed in, then no one without a Cup should be. And that's ridiculous.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I threw in the "probably" because I hadn't totally thought it through. I'll leave it without an edit, but say now that he's "one of" the best all time without a Cup.

Point still stands. If he's not allowed in, then no one without a Cup should be. And that's ridiculous.

Yes, of course - there are plenty of players in the Hall who probably or definitely weren't as great as Thornton, who also don't have a Cup (including Iginla, Ullman, Perreault, Stastny, Goulet, Hawerchuk, Sundin, Oates, Sittler, Lindros, Kariya, Ratelle, Bure, Neely, LaFontaine, Gartner, Ciccarelli, Federko, Gilbert, Howell, Housley, etc). The precedent has already been set. If you exclude Thornton from the Hall, you'd have to kick all these players out too.

Reactions: banks

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He probably makes it to the Hall if you only count his Sharks days and ignore the whole Boston thing

Reactions: jetsforever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad