Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Some amazing things in this thread:

Someone suggesting Jagr is #1
Someone saying he doesn't break top 30
People saying Lemieux is #1
The blatant disrespect of Gordie who is #4 at worst, and has a very good claim to being above Lemieux

Can we get this thread moved to the History section so I can watch guys like seventies, qpq or Vadim slap some people around? This is getting silly.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
  1. Gretzky
  2. Orr
  3. Howe
  4. Lemieux
  5. Harvey
  6. Beliveau
  7. Bourque
  8. Lidstrom
  9. Richard
  10. Hull
  11. Shore
  12. Morenz
  13. Mikita
  14. Kelly
  15. Potvin
  16. Messier
  17. Esposito
  18. Jagr

Excluding goalies, but even with them, Jagr is for sure a top 20 player of all time, hastily made list of the top of my head. I don't think I've missed anyone

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jagr best if all time? Not even close, easy no. He's not even the best player in the Pens history never mind the NHL

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No but he's one of them. One of the best forwards ever and arguably the best European ever.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
You assume Lemieux's ppg wouldnt go down?

If Gretzky retired in 1991 his PPG would be (even more) insane.

Lemieux managed that ppg while fighting cancer and playing with horribe back pain that would put the vast majority of players out of the lineup. During his peak.

Oh and yeah he came back after 3 years of retirement, out of shape, during deep puck era, and his ppg for his age was higher than what Gretzky had at the same age. If Lemieux had a healthy career, imo chances are that his ppg might have been higher than what he has now, mostly because 1)his peak years were when he had health problems and 2)contrary to some people beliefs, his seasons with higher ppg are the ones with 60+ games... not the shorter ones and 3)he proved in his comeback that he had the skills to dominate as much if not more than Gretzky in his later years (35+).

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Lemieux managed that ppg while fighting cancer and playing with horribe back pain that would put the vast majority of players out of the lineup. During his peak.

Oh and yeah he came back after 3 years of retirement, out of shape, during deep puck era, and his ppg for his age was higher than what Gretzky had at the same age. If Lemieux had a healthy career, imo chances are that his ppg might have been higher than what he has now, mostly because 1)his peak years were when he had health problems and 2)contrary to some people beliefs, his seasons with higher ppg are the ones with 60+ games... not the shorter ones and 3)he proved in his comeback that he had the skills to dominate as much if not more than Gretzky in his later years (35+).

So to sum it up, what if?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

I hate it when people penalize Gretzky for things he actually did. That you project Lemieux to have done

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

If... If... If...

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Maybe you should do what Adam Oates did and make a long compilation of Gretzky videos and watch it over and over. You'll see him doing things that are absurdly technical in literally every move he makes. The guy was ridiculous and changed the game and he still has more points than anyone else even in a different era. If his body held up as well as Jagr's has, he would have 4000+ points. But it didn't and he long since had nothing to prove.

The only one that really deserves to be in the conversation with him for forwards is 66.

That said, Jagr is solidly in my top 5 forwards.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

And if Gretzky didn't suffer his back injury, your entire argument vanishes anyway. So.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
And if Gretzky didn't suffer his back injury, your entire argument vanishes anyway. So.

Really really frustrates me when people can't see the difference at some suffering a back injury at 30 years old or at the age of 24 when your fresh of a 199 point season

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The only skater you could have a decent change at arguing being better than Gretzky is Orr. That's it. Jagr might be top 10 of all time, almost certainly top 20...but the best?

He even had a teammate that trumps him on the all time list.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Really really frustrates me when people can't see the difference at some suffering a back injury at 30 years old or at the age of 24 when your fresh of a 199 point season

You have to think that injury had something to do with the noted decline in Gretzky's production, no?

But in the end, that's more of the what if game that I don't really want to get into, because it doesn't matter. Gretzky did what he did, and that's why he's the greatest. Lemieux *might* have done better, but he didn't so it's irrelevant.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Just having a discussion with a buddy. We both don't think it can be Gretzky because of the goal tending back in the day. Any thoughts?

Have to judge a player's dominance vs the rest of the league at the time, Gretzky had more significant separation from other players than Jagr had. To that point, how many seasons was Jagr really 'the guy' maybe none if Lindros didn't run into injury issues. Jagr had comparable talents throughout his career, I wouldn't put him in the Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr tier. He's more a longevity project like Ron Francis.

I mean, is Jagr even better than Ovie? Ovie's goal production vs his era makes a better case if that's the standard.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The thing is that regardless of where Jagr sits in an all time list. He now owns and may for a long while the 2nd most points by an NHL player. It's a special place to be and Jagr is a special player. Making the the top 10 of all time list or not does not take away any of the great accomplishments he has done.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's more a longevity project like Ron Francis.

Jagr doesn't sniff the big 4, but that's an awful comparison. Jagr was an absolute dominant player who has how many Art Ross'?

Jagr had a huge peak that Francis doesn't come remotely close to and insane longevity, which would be more of he opted not to go to Russia.

Jagr is absolutely one of the all time greats, just not near the Gretzky level.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
So to sum it up, what if?

If we were talking about career, about who was the greatest, than yeah, it would be what ifs. I don't see any argument not to have Gretzky number one greatest player of all time. All I was making was responding to someone saying his PPG would be lower. How fitting it is that I'm called on what if by responding to a what if post :P

But we are talking about who was the best. You don't need 1500 games to analyze how good a player is/was. In his peak, even with all the health issues Lemieux had, he proved, in my opinion, that he was a better player. There is no what if there. "Even with his health issues". That 160 in 60 season is what makes it for me. Not "how much points he would make if healthy that season"... what actually happen, in the circumstances in which it happened.

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Jagr doesn't sniff the big 4, but that's an awful comparison. Jagr was an absolute dominant player who has how many Art Ross'?

Jagr had a huge peak that Francis doesn't come remotely close to and insane longevity, which would be more of he opted not to go to Russia.

Jagr is absolutely one of the all time greats, just not near the Gretzky level.

I have noticed this strange phenomenon in recent years that unless a player is considered one of the top 5 players of all time they are not great players. Seems very strange to me.

Not being on Gretzky, Lemieux, etc level doesn't negate how amazing a player like Jagr is.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
  1. Gretzky
  2. Orr
  3. Howe
  4. Lemieux
  5. Harvey
  6. Beliveau
  7. Bourque
  8. Lidstrom
  9. Richard
  10. Hull
  11. Shore
  12. Morenz
  13. Mikita
  14. Kelly
  15. Potvin
  16. Messier
  17. Esposito
  18. Jagr

Excluding goalies, but even with them, Jagr is for sure a top 20 player of all time, hastily made list of the top of my head. I don't think I've missed anyone

Good list and pretty accurate.Im trying to think if you have missed anyone but haven't got anything yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad