Is Jagr the best player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He's putting down Crosby to pump up Ovechkin like he does in EVERY thread.

Apparently goals are more important than assists... until they're not anymore...

It's not about goals or assists. We are comparing Wayne Gretzky's final season to Jagr today. It's a well known fact that goals decline with age. So the focus is on the assist production. Your just derailing the discussion and desperately trying to spin it into something else. We are talking Gretzky vs Jagr at the end. It's very relevant to look at the assists.

Yeah I just noticed that in the calender year thread.

You actually took that posters word? lol

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
It's not about goals or assists. We are comparing Wayne Gretzky's final season to Jagr today. It's a well known fact that goals decline with age. So the focus is on the assist production. Your just derailing the discussion and desperately trying to spin it into something else. We are talking Gretzky vs Jagr at the end. It's very relevant to look at the assists.

You actually took that posters word? lol

Hard not to when youre beating on Crosby in two separate threads.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Also Jagr was 7th in Hart Voting last season. Gretzky was not top 16 in '99.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Hard not to when youre beating on Crosby in two separate threads.

So his stats are an insult? :laugh:

His stats are a fact. He has 16 assists. And he was under PPG in 2015 calendar year. Those are facts. Not "beating up on someone".

It's a complement to Jagr for one. The other thing is that calendar year stats can be deceiving. Pure domination, and under PPG. It shows both sides. And that things can change quickly.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Also Jagr was 7th in Hart Voting last season. Gretzky was not top 16 in '99.

Gretzky was on a much ******** team, in his last season, with no back and no legs.

Jagr has never had injury problems, was on a solid.young team, and was the third wheel on his line. A lot of those votes were more likely novelty.

As for this season, and your attempt to compare him to Crosby, I still don't get how that somehow helps your case that he's the best ever.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I vote yes because he played against so many types of the game. Only player that can say that.

Every other "great" dominated their era only and either retired early, had injury/health problems or saw a steep decline when the game evolved. Jagr adjusted and was able to still successfully play vs. all type of the game.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
No, but his adjustement to the massive evolution of the game from 1990 to 2017 - and ability to remain effective in his mid 40's - has to be one of the greatest feats in hockey ever.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jagr is not better than Gretzky, but he sure is a lot more fun to watch and listen to in interviews. To me, he is definitely top-3 of players I have ever watched.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Gretzky had the most points from the 1979/80 season to the 1988/89 season and the most points from 1989/90 to 1998/99. That is two separate 10 NHL season spans that Gretzky had the most points of any NHL player.

Last edited:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I haven't read this thread, because it's a dumb premise to begin with, so apologies if this had already been said:

If Wayne Gretzky had never scored a goal in his National Hockey League career, he would STILL have more points than anyone else in the history of the game.

Jagr (points): 1,891.
Gretzky (assists): 1,963.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I vote yes because he played against so many types of the game. Only player that can say that.

Every other "great" dominated their era only and either retired early, had injury/health problems or saw a steep decline when the game evolved. Jagr adjusted and was able to still successfully play vs. all type of the game.

Howe? Bourque? Lidstrom? Apparently they are figments of my imagination.

As for this thread, we don't even need to consider Gretzky. It's essentially impossible to make the case that Jagr was better than Lemieux, and thus Jagr is clearly not the best player ever.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Jagr doesn't sniff the big 4, but that's an awful comparison. Jagr was an absolute dominant player who has how many Art Ross'?

Jagr had a huge peak that Francis doesn't come remotely close to and insane longevity, which would be more of he opted not to go to Russia.

Jagr is absolutely one of the all time greats, just not near the Gretzky level.

How many Art Rosses did he run away with? That's the point.

How many competitive years was Jagr even the best player on his team, the only finals he was in, he was in Mario's shadow. No contender was built around him... don't even see him as a top 50 all time talent just like I don't see Francis.

Jagr was the main event on a soft card. Was he ever a clear cut best player in the league in any given year? More dominant than say Hasek or Lindstrom during Jagr's prime? It's a debate and debatable talents are just that, he doesn't make the elite's elite tier. He's even behind Messier given Messier lend two teams to the cup as the best player on the team.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad