Is Jack Eichel a lazy superstar?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
As Mickey Redmond would say

"he has the keys to the bus, but hes still trying to figure out where all the gears are"

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I've always felt his attitude was somewhat off. It actually reminds me of what I felt about Seguin before he was traded to Dallas. Of course, Eichel's production has been better than Boston-era Seguin but they have a similar "swagger." Two guys who really never faced adversity in their lives before the NHL. Both superstars from a very young age, usually far and away the best player on the team (or in the company with another superstar or two). Unless you're shyer personality like Crosby/McDavid, it's really easy to get so much confidence in your abilities that you become entitled and don't see your flaws as well. It's a maturity issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if Eichel is ever a good leader.

I don't think he's lazy, it's just he's never been in a situation like Buffalo.

Definitely not lazy, but he could improve his hockey IQ a lot.

I don't think this is something that really improves. At least not by the time you're in the NHL. I'm also not sure IQ is his problem. He's not like Yakupov who clearly lacks hockey IQ, it's something else.

He seems to have quite the ego which is actually normal and honestly expected for a player of his caliber. He definitely isn't the culprit of Buffalo's problems.

Disagree about this being normal and expected. In other sports, sure, but hockey has never been a sport where a big ego (aka arrogance) is normal for a superstar. Guys like McDavid, Crosby, Benn, don't have big egos. And while he's certainly not the source of Buffalo's problems, the issue at hand is that he thus far hasn't been able to substantively reverse them either.

I'd say he's more unfocused than lazy. But you could say one leads to the other so...

To me, unfocused and lazy have the same outcome on the ice.

"Rest of his team is trash" doesn't hold up when Eichel literally gets the best QoT on the team and most good players play better away from him.

This is my problem with looking at his production and going "well, he's still producing great and it's getting better." His offensive output isn't the problem, it's that the team around him, despite being very talented, isn't really benefiting from his output. This almost always gets blamed on the player, but if you're ostensibly the level Eichel is said to be, you don't get to be off the hook because your team isn't producing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No they wouldn't. Mario Lemieux was on some good teams and a lot of people called him lazy.

And they were wrong to do so.

I see Eichel in a similar position to a guy like Kessel, guy who became targeted for extra unwarranted criticism because of poor management/coaching decisions

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
And they were wrong to do so.

I see Eichel in a similar position to a guy like Kessel, guy who became targeted for extra unwarranted criticism because of poor management/coaching decisions

He already got the GM/coach fired, that's a poor excuse!

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Arrogant personality and he displayed his immaturity last year calling out the coach (someone with a lot more hockey experience than himself). He has the talent but he's still growing as a person and a professional. I'm sure he puts a ton of work into his craft so I don't think he's lazy but he needs someone whether its a coach or veteran to show him how to win which means doing ANYTHING he can to win including the occasional dirty work. A fight triggered by frustration doesn't mean jack. He should learn how to support his teammates within the play and flow of a hokey game

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
Man, this is a good thread. PPG pace and clearly the best person on the ice night in and night out. And he's underwhelming. And he's a cancer cuz some people think he got Bylsma fired. And he's arrogant and lazy.

This is hilarious.

I mean, the Sabres are underwhelming for sure - but Eichel is by far the least underwhelming player on the team right now. I mean, like if you watch him.

Reactions: Hasek

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Man, this is a good thread. PPG pace and clearly the best person on the ice night in and night out. And he's underwhelming. And he's a cancer cuz some people think he got Bylsma fired. And he's arrogant and lazy.

This is hilarious.

I mean, the Sabres are underwhelming for sure - but Eichel is by far the least underwhelming player on the team right now. I mean, like if you watch him.

Ok I'll give the eye test a try. He just cost his team last game by not picking up his man (sheary) in OT. Try and defend Eichel on that play please. It's literally the most lazy, floating play in hockey.

He doesn't want to win. If he did he would pay more attention and pick up his man.

Stuff like that is non-quantifiable, especially just by points. That's what you get by watching him.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
Ok I'll give the eye test a try. He just cost his team last game by not picking up his man (sheary) in OT. Try and defend Eichel on that play please. It's literally the most lazy, floating play in hockey.

He doesn't want to win. If he did he would pay more attention and pick up his man.

Stuff like that is non-quantifiable, especially just by points. That's what you get by watching him.

Hey good example. I'm with you man. He wants the team to tank all 8 years of his contract. He doesn't want to be good.

You'd NEVER see Ovechkin do that. You'd never see ANY stars make that mistake. Real [<21 years] stars are flawless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasek

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

This is hilarious.

Chances are I've been watching him for longer than you have. I see what his flaws are and I see what they aren't. Eichel needs to lead by example and it all starts with him. You can't float or half ass plays during the game because you don't have that luxury. Players on good teams have the luxury of being mediocre because they have teammates that can pick up the slack. I expect Jack Eichel to be a superstar and with the money he's about to get paid he's being treated like one in Buffalo. His play however hasn't been up to par. He hasn't even put up PPG yet. What justifies his $10 mil/ year? Atleast other players who make that money have hardware to back up their pay cheques. Eichel has literally won nothing in the NHL and yet is going to be a top 10 paid guy in the league.

When the Leafs were horrendous the year they won the lottery, the hardest working guy on the team was Nazem Kadri. He led the team with 17 goals and 45 points. He had no reason to care since he was playing with absolute plugs on his line while playing in a shutdown role. Add on to that fact, he had Babcock riding him every game expecting him to be better and get better. Kadri worked his butt off and earned a $4.5 million deal while being the BEST guy on the team. Now, Kadri is no where near Eichel in physical attributes or on ice talent but the man played with pride on a shit team. That same Nazem Kadri is on pace for b2b 30 goal seasons while playing a shutdown role. He stuck it out through the worst of times and worked his ass off to become the player he is today. This is a 2C/3C guy who isn't going to get named Captain or earn an 8 digit pay cheque. Buffalo has another guy who is very similar to Naz, his name is ROR. He's played his ass off even when the Sabres were atrocious. What's Jack's excuse?

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
Chances are I've been watching him for longer than you have. I see what his flaws are and I see what they aren't. Eichel needs to lead by example and it all starts with him. You can't float or half ass plays during the game because you don't have that luxury. Players on good teams have the luxury of being mediocre because they have teammates that can pick up the slack. I expect Jack Eichel to be a superstar and with the money he's about to get paid he's being treated like one in Buffalo. His play however hasn't been up to par. He hasn't even put up PPG yet. What justifies his $10 mil/ year? Atleast other players who make that money have hardware to back up their pay cheques. Eichel has literally won nothing in the NHL and yet is going to be a top 10 paid guy in the league.

When the Leafs were horrendous the year they won the lottery, the hardest working guy on the team was Nazem Kadri. He led the team with 17 goals and 45 points. He had no reason to care since he was playing with absolute plugs on his line while playing in a shutdown role. Add on to that fact, he had Babcock riding him every game expecting him to be better and get better. Kadri worked his butt off and earned a $4.5 million deal while being the BEST guy on the team. Now, Kadri is no where near Eichel in physical attributes or on ice talent but the man played with pride on a **** team. That same Nazem Kadri is on pace for b2b 30 goal seasons while playing a shutdown role. He stuck it out through the worst of times and worked his ass off to become the player he is today. This is a 2C/3C guy who isn't going to get named Captain or earn an 8 digit pay cheque. Buffalo has another guy who is very similar to Naz, his name is ROR. He's played his ass off even when the Sabres were atrocious. What's Jack's excuse?

Jack just turned 21. Nazem played 29 games when he was 20, and 21 games when he was 21. Nazem was 25 when he scored those 45 points while tanking.

But good point. I guess we'll have to ask him why he sucks.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Jack just turned 21. Nazem played 29 games when he was 20, and 21 games when he was 21. Nazem was 25 when he scored those 45 points while tanking.

But good point. I guess we'll have to ask him why he sucks.

The point is a player like Nazem Kadri was held to a higher standard by his coaches and organization and Nazem Kadri isn't and wasn't the future of the Leafs. Jack Eichel is the future of the Sabres and he's getting paid a buttload of money to be THE GUY. Yet there seems to be very limited accountability by the coaches or org. Those who did question him and his ways were kicked to the curb. All I heard last year was Bylsma this and Bylsma that. This year Bylsma isn't there anymore and Jack still hasn't changed his ways. He's still playing shit defensively and going MIA for long stretches of the game. His effort level needs to pick up big time. I'm still a big fan of the kid but he pisses me off with the way he plays sometimes.

Reactions: wildandwoolly

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
The point is a player like Nazem Kadri was held to a higher standard by his coaches and organization and Nazem Kadri isn't and wasn't the future of the Leafs. Jack Eichel is the future of the Sabres and he's getting paid a buttload of money to be THE GUY. Yet there seems to be very limited accountability by the coaches or org. Those who did question him and his ways were kicked to the curb. All I heard last year was Bylsma this and Bylsma that. This year Bylsma isn't there anymore and Jack still hasn't changed his ways. He's still playing **** defensively and going MIA for long stretches of the game. His effort level needs to pick up big time. I'm still a big fan of the kid but he pisses me off with the way he plays sometimes.

I agree with that - would be nice to see him play at a McDavid level. From what I've seen, he is the guy. He is the game changer. He's stepped up big time defensively this year with occasional mistake here and there. Seems like he's opting to pass a lot more rather than shoot. I see this as him being less selfish - he's trying to build the team. He wants chemistry with Kane, even though their styles clash a lot.

I see him taking steps forward. But still seems like he gets frustrated, or exhausted, or who knows. You can see glimpses of amazing and glimpses of immaturity. But in reality, he's just a young guy. Not every player enters the league like a mature fully grown adult. Some still gotta grow

Reactions: King Clancy

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
To add to that, I can see how Eichel can be incredibly frustrating to watch. Because when he does turn it on, he's unbelievable. But yet we only see that 1-2 times per game. That otherworldly skill level. Often it seems like he's coasting and just going through the motions. So it's like, why can't he turn that on more often. I dunno. I think he does get frustrated easily - he sets up a play and someone botches it. Then again, if your first two years in the league were with that Sabres team, you'd kinda see why.

I think as time goes on, and the Sabres find their groove, he'll prove to be much more consistently amazing. You do see him working on the little things lately. He's still always the best person on the ice.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I can't seem to get the doesn't make any players better argument...when guys go away from Eichel they aren't producing unless they are with O'Reily...Pominville has done nothing without him while Sam(on the first line with Eichel now) just put up a 3 point night after having 5 total points on the season before that. Kane who has been glued to Eichel most of the year has 18 points...both of his SH goals were passes from Eichel where he stole the puck.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I am not about to dig through threads to point out the many times this has been said over the last few years and over the summer. My post wasn't meant to start a war here, it was just meant to highlight that at worst, Sabres fans think as a group these guys are equal to the Leafs, or at least did before the start of the year, when many had them as better.

Saying Eichel has a worse core to work with like the other poster was attempting to do throws the entire organization under the bus to save face on one player.
Nah man I think you just made most of those up to make their fanbase look bad. Did the opposite though

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Eichel isn't a superstar. He never will be one either.
This is more like a Facebook post, than it is a comment on a hockey board. At least touch on one of what, when, or why. We already knew who. Maybe you thought it was a poll, and you just wanted us to know how you voted.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad