Is Jack Eichel a lazy superstar?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
eichel is a good player and has a lot of potential but can someone besides a sabres fan explain what he's ever done to be considered a 'superstar' at this time?

His production as a young player on a bad team has been very impressive- watch his shifts and he's often the best player on the ice, always creative with the puck with a sick range of passing. He also has a great shot. I see him make a defender look silly every time I watch the Sabres. Overall, he just has that factor that makes you look at guys and notice the difference and he has that factor. Definitely needs to improve his draws though in my opinion

Reactions: 81818o8

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Maybe he is just what you are seeing? I have not seen enough to tell and hi-lites on sportscenter don't show the whole picture. But I do have to ask, does he elevate the level of play of his team mates like Crosby (the current benchmark)? If the answer is no, well then I guess he is not as good some people thought. Although he has talked a big game

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
No way for anyone to give an honest opinion unless you've coached/practiced with the guy. He seems to have quite the ego which is actually normal and honestly expected for a player of his caliber. He definitely isn't the culprit of Buffalo's problems.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not everyone is non-stop machine. I wouldn't call him lazy. But he's not exactly a non-stop motor kind of guy. But that's most skill players, really.

Reactions: Raymoondo and Hasek

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The guy has 16 points so far this season on a team that isn't clicking nor is he- yet

He'll be fine because he is a superstar

As someone has already mentioned I think his upright style and long stride make him appear lazy or aloof but he isn't by virtue of being an NHL player- they don't make lazy

I think people mean compared to the best players in the world.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
His production as a young player on a bad team has been very impressive- watch his shifts and he's often the best player on the ice, always creative with the puck with a sick range of passing. He also has a great shot. I see him make a defender look silly every time I watch the Sabres. Overall, he just has that factor that makes you look at guys and notice the difference and he has that factor. Definitely needs to improve his draws though in my opinion

thanks.

i get all that you're saying but what has he done to be considered a 'superstar'?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Maybe he is just what you are seeing? I have not seen enough to tell and hi-lites on sportscenter don't show the whole picture. But I do have to ask, does he elevate the level of play of his team mates like Crosby (the current benchmark)? If the answer is no, well then I guess he is not as good some people thought. Although he has talked a big game
Well his current linemate Evander Kane is ppg and is having the best year statistically of his career. So I guess Eichel is making a difference there?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think he's lazy (no athlete is, and he basically lives at the gym), but I think his drive compared to Matthews and McDavid leaves you wanting more. His skill is tremendous though

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
thanks.

I get all that you're saying but what has he done to be considered a 'superstar'?

To be completely honest I try to watch as much as possible of certain players (with Eichel being one) but I think a Sabres fan or someone who watches the team more closely would be most qualified to answer

But for me, it's mainly the fact I can see he plays like a star, is treated like one by his organisation and is ridiculously talented- 'the eye test' so to speak for superstardom.

Also, he's looked at by fans and media as being the guy to blame when things aren't rolling and is expected to be the guy driving the bus when things are going well; that has to speak to something

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I thought Eichel was going to be top 3 in scoring this season. The season is still young, but he is under performing for what he is capable of.

At the same time, dude has 16 pts in 18 games. He' scoring at almost PPG and he' still getting **** on by this forum.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
To be completely honest I try to watch as much as possible of certain players (with Eichel being one) but I think a Sabres fan or someone who watches the team more closely would be most qualified to answer

But for me, it's mainly the fact I can see he plays like a star, is treated like one by his organisation and is ridiculously talented- 'the eye test' so to speak for superstardom.

Also, he's looked at by fans and media as being the guy to blame when things aren't rolling and is expected to be the guy driving the bus when things are going well; that has to speak to something

that's all fine and like i initially said he is a good hockey player and has a lot of potential.

in my world you have to actually do something at the nhl level to be considered a nhl level 'superstar' though.

i don't think players should be appointed to 'superstar' status, one must first pay their dues and deserve the accolade.

Reactions: King Clancy

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I mean he had a goal and an assist and was part of plenty of odd man rushes against the Penguins and even shoved Crosby off the puck in front of the net earlier in the game...one gaff in OT after playing pretty good all game and was still +1 on the night meaning his team wasn't scored on during regulation in 5v5 even though he was primarily playing against Crosby or Malkins line most of the time....if a dumb goal off O'Reily's skate never goes in it wouldn't of mattered to begin with.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If this is how much he scores being lazy, imagine how much he'd score if he had an average work ethic.
To me that's part of the frustration. I think he Matthews and McDavid can be far and away the best 3 guys in the NHL, but Eichel just hasn't hit that next gear yet.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To me that's part of the frustration. I think he Matthews and McDavid can be far and away the best 3 guys in the NHL, but Eichel just hasn't hit that next gear yet.

I mean, his career NHL P/G is .81 and Matthews is .9, and this despite Buffalo being a tire fire and Toronto being pretty damn good.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Put him on a good team and then we’ll talk.

The players make the team, not the other way around. It’s up to Eichel to put in the effort every day to help his team perform as well as they can. This thread is questioning his effort level and intensity, something that you hope your star player will have high amounts of. While I personally don’t doubt Eichel’s drive or will to succeed, it does feel like he could put more effort forward on the defensive side of the puck. His abilities with the puck are arguably top-10 in the league, but he always looks either lost or unengaged in the defensive zone

Reactions: King Clancy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad