Is Jack Edwards the most entertaining announcer in the league?

Mark717

Mar 10, 2013
Buffalo, NY
In terms of entertaining, I think he fits the bill. The homerism is on a different level at times though. A Bruin could take his skates off and stab an opposing player and he'd try to explain why the retaliation was warranted.

I could definitely understand liking him as a Bruins fan. And he is super intelligent. Knows opposing players well, etc..

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
He's made for the radio so that way you can't see the garbage he spewing.
What he says compared to what's really happening in a game is so far from the truth it isn't funny.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
So he uses a patriotic rant against Montreal after Boston won the series. I would hate to see him commentating for the upcoming Olympics in Asia......

Jack Edwards - "on December 7th 1941 they surprised us and we weren't ready, we were relaxed and not expecting something so horrible but it happened. But nearly 80 years later, we came to this continent to say NO! this time we are prepared and we took it to you, we won the medals, we won the day, this day we are victorious, this day there are tears of joy not sadness!"

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Jack gets on my nerves I need to tune his rants out.

I like that the bruins announcers prefer the bruins though.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I believe he used to do national games for ESPN. I wonder how he was during neutral games. I do remember a clip of him calling a leafs sens playoff game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am posting this clip only because of how off the wall it was - we don't do politics at HF but this was hysterical.

Jack is beloved in New England because you never know what will come out of his mouth next.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think he's hilarious and much smarter than he lets on. I've always said that I'd love to hear him in a neutral game, a non-boston game, because I think he'd be great. Unfortunately, he just comes off as a huge homer, blinded by his bias. But he's also a regional announcer, so wtf do you guys expect? At least he gets excited when the opposition makes a nice play, would you rather have those Avs guys who go silent like Hawk Harrelson when the opposition does something?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I don't get the homer criticism. That's literally what he's paid to do. At least he gets excited for good plays by the opposing team. There are so many announcer who are every bit as homerish, but they don't show any enthusiasm to the game itself. The Wild announcers are the worst offenders at this. They probably can't even name any non-Wild NHL players outside of Crosby and Ovechkin.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The criticism for him being a homer is stupid. literally every team's announcers are homers, it's pretty much a requirement.

A lot of people probably won't remember Edwards' work with ESPN and the quasi-national games he called for HDNet back in the day. But he was Excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad