Is Jack Edwards the most entertaining announcer in the league?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Off topic I guess, but what is the point of threads like this? Half the thread titles on this forum consist of "Is _________ the best at ________ ?" This is not a question that opens up fruitful discussion, it's merely a means for OP to have his opinion validated. It's obnoxious seeing every thread be created for the sole purpose of being a circle jerk. An accurately measureable answer to this question doesn't exist, so why does this thread have to?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If by "entertaining" you mean "insufferably annoying homer", then yes, Edwards is the "most" in the NHL.

His derision toward individual non-Bruin players for the purpose of weak manufactured humor is unprofessional.

It is one trait to be a homer for your team / network. It is quite another to not only subjectively, but objectively, describe game plays differently from what obviously visually happened. Brickley is no better in that regard either.

If a Bruin were to one day literally decapitate an opponent, I expect Edwards would describe the replay as the opponent placing his neck in the way of the Bruin stick and wondering why interference wasn't called on the opponent.

I suppose it could be worse. My vision of hell is being forced to watch Edwards calling Patriot games and verbally fellating Tom Brady with praise. In that scenario, I would choose to simultaneously contract MRSA and Ebola, and be dipped in sulfuric acid.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Um, no, if someone on the Bruins does something stupid he calls them out on it. Maybe you don't watch as many games as Bruin fans so your opinion is a little colorful?

Fights he just makes no sense in though, I'll give you that. He's a puppy. Very excitable.

From a non Bruins fan I have heard him call them out for poor play or whatever. I have also heard him give credit where it is due to the other team.

During fights he is unbearable.

BBFan417

Mar 5, 2007
If by "entertaining" you mean "insufferably annoying homer", then yes, Edwards is the "most" in the NHL.

His derision toward individual non-Bruin players for the purpose of weak manufactured humor is unprofessional.

It is one trait to be a homer for your team / network. It is quite another to not only subjectively, but objectively, describe game plays differently from what obviously visually happened. Brickley is no better in that regard either.

If a Bruin were to one day literally decapitate an opponent, I expect Edwards would describe the replay as the opponent placing his neck in the way of the Bruin stick and wondering why interference wasn't called on the opponent.

I suppose it could be worse. My vision of hell is being forced to watch Edwards calling Patriot games and verbally fellating Tom Brady with praise. In that scenario, I would choose to simultaneously contract MRSA and Ebola, and be dipped in sulfuric acid.

Again.. he calls out Bruin players for bad/dirty plays.

Just two weeks ago about Marchand's trip on Kronwall,

"Wow.
Marchand gets zero games, $10K fine for an incident that checked every box of "bad."
If roles were reversed, we would be up in arms."

Also, he gushes about every Star player. You should hear him go on and on about Stamkos.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Is he a homer? Sure, most are but he is by far the most entertaining imo.

The worst broadcast team when it comes to being homers has to be Pittsburgh hands down. Listening to them is a miserable experience. There isn't one redeeming thing about them.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Jack Edwards is the only person I know that would go on a giant rant about the American revolution and the defeat of the British at the hands of a bunch of common men after the Bruins defeated the Canadiens.

Atta boy Jack!

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
There are levels. Edwards is on the apex.

He's the worst announcer in hockey, and makes a mockery of the business of sports play-by-play.

Again, I'm not an Edwards guy. Just not my taste. Per the bolded, I want to know what criteria goes into this. Personally, I find it utterly embarrassing when announcers clearly don't put in the research on the visiting team. They don't know names, they don't know player back stories, they don't offer any insight into the pulse of what's going on with the team that is playing their home club. Having had Center Ice for a decade now, it's remarkable how many random broadcasts you turn on, and how poorly informed and researched the Play by Play guy is. Edwards, despite all his antics and homerism, is the opposite of this. He's a grinder and a hockey nerd. He puts the time in before games to research/study/learn about the other team. I value that.

I think Pierre Mcguire has a similar reputation here. He's kind of a goofball, and a bit annoying, but the depth of knowledge he provides during broadcasts is something I find valuable. I like knowing where all these guys came from, who they played for, what challenges they overcame to get to the show, etc. I like that depth of information. Guys like Edwards and Pierre, for all their quirks and antics, do that.

My point...somewhere buried in my rambling...is I think it's disingenuous to call guys like Edwards (and Mcguire) unprofessional or a mockery to the business, because it takes away the massive amount of time/energy/research they put in to the job. If Center Ice has taught me one thing, it's how many dudes around the league show up two hours before drop, take a peak at the lineup that night, and hit record on the broadcast. I think that's more of a mockery than anything else.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
He's absolutely the most entertaining. I can appreciate that many others would find him the most irritating.

Interesting that the OP is a Habs' fan.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Again, I'm not an Edwards guy. Just not my taste. Per the bolded, I want to know what criteria goes into this. Personally, I find it utterly embarrassing when announcers clearly don't put in the research on the visiting team. They don't know names, they don't know player back stories, they don't offer any insight into the pulse of what's going on with the team that is playing their home club. Having had Center Ice for a decade now, it's remarkable how many random broadcasts you turn on, and how poorly informed and researched the Play by Play guy is. Edwards, despite all his antics and homerism, is the opposite of this. He's a grinder and a hockey nerd. He puts the time in before games to research/study/learn about the other team. I value that.

I think Pierre Mcguire has a similar reputation here. He's kind of a goofball, and a bit annoying, but the depth of knowledge he provides during broadcasts is something I find valuable. I like knowing where all these guys came from, who they played for, what challenges they overcame to get to the show, etc. I like that depth of information. Guys like Edwards and Pierre, for all their quirks and antics, do that.

My point...somewhere buried in my rambling...is I think it's disingenuous to call guys like Edwards (and Mcguire) unprofessional or a mockery to the business, because it takes away the massive amount of time/energy/research they put in to the job. If Center Ice has taught me one thing, it's how many dudes around the league show up two hours before drop, take a peak at the lineup that night, and hit record on the broadcast. I think that's more of a mockery than anything else.

Yep. You can tease or dislike McGuire and Edwards but - they know their hockey.
I find Edwards lots of fun to listen to.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I love Edwards. Few people have as much enthusiasm as he does, he simply portrays an absolute love for the sport. He's got a genuine quality that few others have. Others make things sound thrilling, with Edwards it's more that he's so obviously thrilled himself. And that ties into his homerism. I normally can't stand announcers that are obvious homers, but Edwards is different here too. With others, it comes across as just obvious side-picking. They make a point of sounding bummed out that the other team scored, for example. Edwards is just a fan, and sometimes he can't really handle how much he loves Bruins.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Too much of a homer for my liking except when Boston faces certain teams that you can tell he has soft spot for. Then he's more neutral. Still better than the Ducks and Pens though. They are the worst. :shakehead

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah he's actually the best PbP guy both in terms of his knowledge of the game and entertainment value

I watch all 30 teams on a somewhat regular basis and he's easily the best IMO

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would happily replace Paul Romanuk for Jack Edwards when the Leafs are playing on Sportsnet and Romanuk is calling the game. In fact I rather he Edwards instead of Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
god no I refuse to watch his crap. on center ice it will always be the other feed

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Can't stand the guy. May be exciting and entertaining at time but he's certainly as subjective as they come. Really though, I always felt if the home teams fans are happy with the guy calling their games then that's all that matters.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Jack Edwards is actually not as much as a homer as youtube warriors seem to think.

He says the stuff he says every single game for both teams honestly.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Off topic I guess, but what is the point of threads like this? Half the thread titles on this forum consist of "Is _________ the best at ________ ?" This is not a question that opens up fruitful discussion, it's merely a means for OP to have his opinion validated. It's obnoxious seeing every thread be created for the sole purpose of being a circle jerk. An accurately measureable answer to this question doesn't exist, so why does this thread have to?

A million times this!

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
Is he a homer? Sure, most are but he is by far the most entertaining imo.

The worst broadcast team when it comes to being homers has to be Pittsburgh hands down. Listening to them is a miserable experience. There isn't one redeeming thing about them.

Hobey Baker jokes, check
Refusing to acknowledge good things opposing teams do, check
Hobey Baker jokes, check
Be insufferable, check

I guess a redeeming thing is if that Steigerwald and Errey are a solid representation of how I feel about the Pittsburgh Penguins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad