Is it weird that Sundin rarely participates in anything Leafs related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Has anyone else ever wondered about this aswell?

He's one of the greatest Leafs captain (the closest one to the current generation) and we haven't seen him do anything for the Leafs in their centennial season. No one in the media really talks about him much either..

T.O just played their alumni game without Sundin (and Kaberle aswell), afaik he was scheduled to play in the match up until a month ago.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
His wife is expecting a baby? I don't blame him for skipping an outdoor game. He keeps to himself in Sweden - quit trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
dunno. Maybe he's just retired?

Is he still living in america, or is he back home? Maybe he's one of those guys who when he retired he just went back home and is content living a nice quiet life and doesn't really want to come back for such things?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
His wife is expecting a baby? I don't blame him for skipping an outdoor game. He keeps to himself in Sweden - quit trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

He's not trying to do that. He's simply asking why the greatest Leaf in the past two decades is barely talked about or seen any more. That's a legitimate question.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Pretty sure he lives in Sweden fulltime now. He usually has a good excuse, but it really does suck that he's missed so many big events.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
It's because he thinks of himself as more of a Canuck. He wouldn't feel right putting the leaf jersey back on.

Why isn't this thread on the Leafs board? The entire main board is constantly flooded with leaf threads.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He's not trying to do that. He's simply asking why the greatest Leaf in the past two decades is barely talked about or seen any more. That's a legitimate question.

He isn't? I mean his number was just retired and he was honored a couple years ago... I hear him talked about all the time too. He was just named a top 5 Leaf, and he has a statue outside of the ACC.. Like really what else do you guys want? I'd imagine he's perfectly content being in Sweden with his family and staying out of the spotlight... There is nothing wrong with that.

Wasn't this the reason why he missed the opening night ceremony tho? He was named to the starting lineup last month:

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/2017-centennial-classic-alumni-game-rosters-announced/c-283742480

No, pretty sure it was death in the family or something.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/15/honours-for-leafs-old-and-new

"Missing from the festivities was Mats Sundin, who was represented by Tomas Kaberle. Sundin was absent for family reasons..."

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Well all reports are saying the child is expected "soon" so she seems to be far along. Maybe Mats agreed to play in the hope she already would've given birth, etc.

I can't fault the man for prioritizing the birth of his child and his wife's well being over an alumni game.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
It's because he thinks of himself as more of a Canuck. He wouldn't feel right putting the leaf jersey back on.

Why isn't this thread on the Leafs board? The entire main board is constantly flooded with leaf threads.

Really? I feel like there are way more threads on the main boards about how much the Canucks are despised. But, hey, perception is relative.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Anyone find it weird people have babies?

Hfboards posters have the Leafs on their minds 24/7

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Really? I feel like there are way more threads on the main boards about how much the Canucks are despised. But, hey, perception is relative.

Hate us cause they ain't us.

Doesn't bother me none.

qpnfye.jpg

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
It's almost as if a player whose live has revolved around hockey for 40 years now wants to live his life in peace outside of the spotlight. I also understand that timing is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad