Is it too early to say that the Pacioretty trade is looking really, really bad?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Bingo! At least someone who understands what this thread is actually about.

The thread is asking if it's too early to decide - now before you get off topic go back and read it again maybe twice before you respond.

Yes it is too early to decide, again 9 games is too short to draw conclusions unless you're you.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well a Maple Leaf special when Pat Quinn, Cliff Fletcher, John Ferguson and Brian Burke were in at the helm, while captain on the ship that they were sailing. But you're correct, this Tatar/Patches acquisition has become one growing pimple for Vegas. For Max's sake, I hope he does well in Vegas.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Maybe you should consider going back to school because clearly your English teacher failed to teach you the definition of truth.

I think Facebook and Youtube comment sections would look way better on you.

First bitching about discussing of their team sub forums and out of a sudden becomes a English masterpiece teacher, it's all hockey forums here (sub forum) and if they like to discuss something let them, if you don't like it; stick to your own sub forum. Quit being mad Tavares signed on a another team.

Posh.

Reactions: Cellee

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He got two games to try to build chemistry with his new 2c before Stastny suffered a two month injury, Haula has been bad way more often than he's been good, and Tuch is only one game back into his sophomore year. Oh, and it's only been 9 games.

What do you think

Gee Karlsson doesn't have a single goal yet. He must really suck now. Ottawa=big trade winners.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
yes it was a bad trade

no max pac isn't as bad as he looks right now

no tatar isn't as good as he looks right now

PS McPhee sucks

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Even if Max has a couple of 40 goals season left in him, I'd still do that trade every time. He just had to go, and the return we got, even if Tatar burns out, Suzuki never amounts to anything and the 2nd busts, well, it was well worth the gamble.

Max was one of my favorite players until circa 2015, and slowly but surely became the only player I despised (hockey-wise) on the Habs. No energy, no leadership, no hockey IQ. I hope he can return to what he was a couple of years ago, but I'm not missing the Max we got in the last seasons.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Montreal won the trade when it happened, and now that Tatar is playing the way he is, it looks lopsided. Add on the fact that Vegas overpaid for Tatar in the first place, and this looks REALLY bad on Vegas.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
The issue is Montreal is not signing Pacioretty at the end of 18-19 no matter what happens.

It's totally different from VGK's perspective though (and I somewhat agree with you here, it's a tad to early to judge). But it does look bad, which is probably the whole point of this thread, because there's more than a suspicion at this point that Max Pacioretty is declining, and VGK signed him to a 7X4 year that starts next season, deal which was a sine qua non for this trade to happen in the first place.

well it seems like in your mind montreal could do nothing to lose this trade so not much point in discussing it. if he scores 25-30 goals and vegas makes another playoff run and he walks im sure you would still at it like they lose. which is all still more a very real possibility after 9 games.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
well it seems like in your mind montreal could do nothing to lose this trade so not much point in discussing it. if he scores 25-30 goals and vegas makes another playoff run and he walks im sure you would still at it like they lose. which is all still more a very real possibility after 9 games.

Let's put it this way : I'm not quite sure how Montreal can be a "loser" in this deal... Unless, I don't know, MB turned down a MUCH better offer, like NYR three next unprotected first rounders, Vitaly Kravtsov and whichever short term cap dump to make this work. They win this deal either way as it is, even if Tatar only puts up, I dunno... 40 points and is traded for a mid 2nd rounder next season.

They. Were. Not. Bringing. Back. Pacioretty. Regardless.

What this deal could be, however, is a win-win deal, and that's heavily dependant on what Pacioretty does THIS season. Because, starting next season, we're looking at a 7M caphit for a guy who will turn 31 at the beginning in November '19.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
First *****ing about discussing of their team sub forums and out of a sudden becomes a English masterpiece teacher, it's all hockey forums here (sub forum) and if they like to discuss something let them, if you don't like it; stick to your own sub forum. Quit being mad Tavares signed on a another team.

Posh.

Mad about Tavares signing on another team? I'm a Canucks fan.

Are you a Habs fan sticking up for a guy who said Pacioretty was never any good? That's something I guess.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I thought this was a fantastic trade for Montreal from the beginning and it probably saved Begevin's job. So really bad for who?

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
He got two games to try to build chemistry with his new 2c before Stastny suffered a two month injury, Haula has been bad way more often than he's been good, and Tuch is only one game back into his sophomore year. Oh, and it's only been 9 games.

What do you think

Gee Karlsson doesn't have a single goal yet. He must really suck now. Ottawa=big trade winners.

He’s on the decline. Vegas paid him for past performance not future ones.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Bergevin broke them with the Subban and Sergachev trades. :(

and not re-signing Radulov
and choosing Alzner over Markov
and...

anyway we'll see how Nick Suzuki does next year but he didn't have an impressive rookie tournament IMO, and wound up as VGK's 4th best prospect at the start of camp. They were able to trade their 2nd best C prospect due to their depth at the position.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Are you a Habs fan sticking up for a guy who said Pacioretty was never any good? That's something I guess.

We can actually tell what Pacioretty is because we’ve seen his decline for three years now and his playoff no shows. I wanted him gone after the fiasco that was the 2017 playoffs. He will never be what he was and his contract is even more of a joke.

Reactions: Cellee

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Let's put it this way : I'm not quite sure how Montreal can be a "loser" in this deal... Unless, I don't know, MB turned down a MUCH better offer, like NYR three next unprotected first rounders, Vitaly Kravtsov and whichever short term cap dump to make this work. They win this deal either way as it is, even if Tatar only puts up, I dunno... 40 points and is traded for a mid 2nd rounder next season.

They. Were. Not. Bringing. Back. Pacioretty. Regardless.

What this deal could be, however, is a win-win deal, and that's heavily dependant on what Pacioretty does THIS season. Because, starting next season, we're looking at a 7M caphit for a guy who will turn 31 at the beginning in November '19.

thats kind of my point

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Giving away one of your best prospects, a high pick and a solid player (that you gave a lot to acquire juste 6 months prior) for 25-30 goals for most likely 1-2 seasons (and a history of shitty playoffs) and giving him a massive extension is the definition of L in my books.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

I said "that good" not "any good" .

Yeah, there is a difference.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For me, this trade was a huge failure by Vegas from the get go. It would have required Pacioretty playing his best hockey to make this passable. Obviously that has not happened.

The fact this deal required Vegas to re-sign Pacioretty to a large long term deal, makes it all the worse. Surely they could have just picked up a similar player as an FA if they were willing to throw that kind of money around.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We can actually tell what Pacioretty is because we’ve seen his decline for three years now and his playoff no shows. I wanted him gone after the fiasco that was the 2017 playoffs. He will never be what he was and his contract is even more of a joke.

That doesn't mean he was never a good player. I think you're misunderstanding the argument here.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Definitely a win so far for us, but it's not impossible that Pacioretty will heat up and still hit 30 goals this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad