Is it too early to say that the Pacioretty trade is looking really, really bad?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Because it is..

Tatar has 8 points in 9 games and has been a big part of their early season success so far.

Patches has 2 points in 9 games.

If it ended there it would be whatever but they also got a top prospect in Suzuki and a top 60 draft pick in that deal.

Nevermind the contract they gave him after the deal (7M AAV).

This is looking to be one of the worst deals in recent memory and could get even worse depending on the development of the other pieces. Shades of the Gomez deal.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Tatar wasn't a good fit in Vegas regardless of Pacioretty's lack of production.

Well the whole situation was handled poorly. They overpaid for Tatar in the first place, but the 2nd deal is even worse.

They paid a top prospect, added a draft pick for a guy who might not be a fit either, and gave him a 7M contract after a very poor year.

If the trade keeps trending this way, it could turn into Vegas moving multiple firsts (Suzuki, the first for Tatar) + 2nd + for a cap dump.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
As a Habs fan, I would like to chime in:

Pacioretty was great for the Habs for several seasons and was a consistent goal scorer between 2012 and 2017. On top of that, he was on a great contract.

However, it seems Vegas is paying more for his past accomplishments than his future upside. He really slowed down in the 2015-2016 season in terms of his speed and would no longer be able to beat players with his speed and had to rely more on his positioning to get in prime scoring spots. I still think he will be ok with Vegas but I do not expect him to get multiple 30 goals seasons anymore. He lost speed, does not go in dirty areas and relies heavily on the play-making of others to get goals and points. To be honest, I see him more of a 20-25 goals, 45 points kind of guy and that is certainly not worth $7M.

I was very happy of the return Bergevin has been able to get for him. No only did he get one of their best prospects, he got a pretty good player in Tatar back and a second round pick on top of that which might be a high pick by the looks of it.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
It was always bad. The "we can only judge in hindsight" stuff is stupid. You can't criticize a GM for things he couldn't know at the time. He only has the info he has. But Patches was never a huge upgrade on Tatar, he's getting old, and Suzuki is a real legit prospect.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's possibly a tad too early to say that it's really, really bad, but it's not too early to say that it's looking really, really bad.

Reactions: dukeofjive

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's not even 10 games in, people really think the Habs are going to play better in the long run than Vegas?

I think that was people are saying is that Pacioretty may have started his decline last season... that is, two seasons before his 19-20 extension kicking in.

Reactions: Cellee

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the extension for Patches was bad. The trade is hard to say right now. I don't expect Tatar to keep up an almost point a game pace. I think he will likely be in the 55~ point range like he usually is when his team is clicking. A lot also hinges on how good Suzuki can become. If Vegas can't replicate the success or at least close to it and eventually drops in the standings over the next few years and becomes a bottom feeder. That trade could look really really bad if Suzuki develops into a good top 6 player.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Tatar had 36 points in 90 games last season..... yeah we're going to need to see a lot more to erase those horrific numbers.

You realize that this is exactly ONE point less than Max Pacioretty last season, who as a 7X4 extension kicking in NEXT season and who is older... right?

This is why people are calling this deal awful for Vegas. Tatar's performance doesn't have much to do with it.

Reactions: Habs Icing

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think the extension for Patches was bad. The trade is hard to say right now. I don't expect Tatar to keep up an almost point a game pace. I think he will likely be in the 55~ point range like he usually is when his team is clicking. A lot also hinges on how good Suzuki can become. If Vegas can't replicate the success or at least close to it and eventually drops in the standings over the next few years and becomes a bottom feeder. That trade could look really really bad if Suzuki develops into a good top 6 player.

Tomas Tatar ... well, wasn't quite a salary dump, because he isn't a wasteful asset by any stretch, but was clearly NOT the big piece in the deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is what it looks like when an NHL team reverts back in the pumpkin after the Cinderella run. If you tally up the picks packaged to get Tatar. Then Pacioretty, it's enough to really stunt the Knights long term.

Veleno
Suzuki
2nd
2nd
3rd

for

Pacioretty?

That's a Toronto Maple Leaf special.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This is what it looks like when an NHL team reverts back in the pumpkin after the Cinderella run. If you tally up the picks packaged to get Tatar. Then Pacioretty, it's enough to really stunt the Knights long term.

Veleno
Suzuki
2nd
2nd
3rd

for

Pacioretty?

That's a Toronto Maple Leaf special.

... And then don't forget the assets Montreal may get when/if flipping Tatar before the latter turning UFA.

And the best of it all?
IT ALL STEMS FROM CRAIG RIVET!!!!

Reactions: Seb and dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad