Is it too early for Mike Smith to be serving up a ton of crow?

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Flames could be in Coyotes/Oilers territory without him. Hopefully the team in front of him picks it up(mainly the bottom 6 forwards. They can't score worth a damn right now). I think they will as the season moves along though.

but yeah, seems to not be nearly as bad as a few people said he was gonna be.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
He's not as good as he's been so far this year, but he's never really gotten his due in Arizona.

That said, it's November. Elliott had some nice stretches last year too (although never this nice)

I'll admit I didn't like the trade at the time, wanted Bishop instead. Happy to admit my wrongness. So while I doubt he plays at this level all year, I'll still gladly eat my crow

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
hes been the only reason we are winning games, our offense has been just as bad as the oilers, hes bailing us out or else we would be right there at the bottom of the league.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Said like 10 times in the summer he's the best goalie to play for the Flames since Kipper, period. For some reason people had this perception that he's average.

Does he have some frustrating moments? Yeah. But he's got more that star flair than the average goalie. He's got the ability to step up big time, not just in rare occasions, but whenever the challenge is big.

Flames need to start scoring some goals though.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
quick math, we scored 2 goals or less 10/13 games so far this year (Nashville was a shootout), smith has been playing out of his mind. Also its quite impressive that gaudreau is over ppg given how little we score

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Give props to the Stone-Kulak pairing as well.

We haven't had a third pairing that good for as long as I can remember.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The team has largely been garbage for most of the year, without him they're well below .500. Gaudreau deserves a lot of credit as well, contributing on over 55% of the team's goals.

A real #1 goalie was what this team needed, not another maybe or a could be tandem. Was one of the few that wanted him over Fleury/Bishop, glad he's been up to task so far. Find it pretty funny the Coyotes are paying him to not be their goalie anymore.

Last edited:

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Mr. October. Definitely a badge of success in hockey. **** May and **** June.

Smith has a .945 Save % in the playoffs so Flames are in good hands if they do make it.

Smith wasnt really that good until he went to Arizona. Thank Dave Tippett, the goalie whisperer.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Are the Flames in a playoff spot? If no then it's too early. If they are in a playoff spot, well it's 12 games in so it's still to early

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
quick math, we scored 2 goals or less 10/13 games so far this year (Nashville was a shootout), smith has been playing out of his mind. Also its quite impressive that gaudreau is over ppg given how little we score

That's the reason we've been scoring so little. It's basically our top line, plus some help from Tkachuk doing all the heavy lifting so far. Smith has pulled us through, but we need production from the bottom 6.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mr. October. Definitely a badge of success in hockey. **** May and **** June.
not really, smith has an unreal compete level but never had a team in arizona. i know its a while ago but 2011-2012 smith had one of the best runs at the end of the season/playoffs of any goalie. he careied that team into the playoffs at the end of the year and through their playoff games. hes not going to drop his play when it matters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad