Is It Time To Sit Franson?

belle

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
I can remember a trade deadline acquisition several years ago. Don't remember the d-mans name but he was injured at the end of March. He came back from injury before the playoffs but didn't play a single playoff game.

Poile was quoted post season as apologizing to the player.

My interpretation ... Poile doesn't tell the coach how to use the players.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I can't for the life of me see why Franson would ever be on the ice again. It is time for Poile to suck it up, admit it was a mistake, and let Lavi put Volchenkov back in the lineup. I will laugh like crazy when some stupid GM will sign Franson during free agency for a ridiculous sum of money.

I don't think GMDP tells lavi who to dress for games.

If anything franson is playing himself out of a big paycheck.

I was one of the people saying he would be a great depth pick up but that was a 6/7 dman splitting time with volch depending on play but that hasn't happened.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think GMDP tells lavi who to dress for games.

If anything franson is playing himself out of a big paycheck.

I was one of the people saying he would be a great depth pick up but that was a 6/7 dman splitting time with volch depending on play but that hasn't happened.

My guess is at this point Lavi knows what he did in Toronto and keeps hoping he will find that again. Sadly I don't think its there, he just doesn't fit this style.

I'm really hoping Lavi sits him at some point just to get back to what worked earlier in the year. He's done the same thing with the forwards, why he hasn't with the D is beyond me.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I can remember a trade deadline acquisition several years ago. Don't remember the d-mans name but he was injured at the end of March. He came back from injury before the playoffs but didn't play a single playoff game.

Poile was quoted post season as apologizing to the player.

My interpretation ... Poile doesn't tell the coach how to use the players.

Believe that was Vitali Vishneski. Hard hitting Russian

Dallas Eakins*

I am not surprised whatsoever he was always a horrible player he had himself a stat padding start to the year and everyone wanted to play make believe in regards to some great season he was having. I was more happy to see Franson go and knowing we wouldnt resign his sorry *** then I was about the first.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
#DavidPoileTradeDeadline ... I'm working on an analysis of all the trades he's done since the '04-'05 lockout.

Did you listen hockey central today?

They were talking about Nonis for the leafs extending phafnuf and kessel and basically saying you rather be the gm that signs or trades UFA's than lettering them walk away.

This reminded me of GMDP. Yes Suter lead them on but at the end of the day you can't let them walk away for nothing.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Did you listen hockey central today?

They were talking about Nonis for the leafs extending phafnuf and kessel and basically saying you rather be the gm that signs or trades UFA's than lettering them walk away.

This reminded me of GMDP. Yes Suter lead them on but at the end of the day you can't let them walk away for nothing.

My problem with this theory has always been you're basically saying we should've traded one of the best defensemen in the league when we were about to go into the playoffs thinking we had a shot at a Cup run.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
My problem with this theory has always been you're basically saying we should've traded one of the best defensemen in the league when we were about to go into the playoffs thinking we had a shot at a Cup run.

It was a gamble. No doubt. Preds lost that gamble.

Think of a first rounder and prospect we've couldve had for him

It sucks but you know what Kessel and phaenuf both resigned with a crap team and suter didn't with a cup contending team. That should've been the writing on the wall.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Yes. Please sit Franson down and put Volkchenkov in instead. Franson is slow and soft and haven't been impress w/ him offensive wise. We need someone that is going to be tough and hard hitting for the playoffs.....i.e. a warrior. Franson just does have that killer instinct in him. Rather have Volkchenkov over him. He can play all next year if he is still around to develop a chemistry w/ the team and get more acclimated to the Preds style of play but for right now he and Santorelli just aren't adding to the team and instead may be hindering it. I say put the team back together that was playing the first half of the year and leave Franson and Santorelli off.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It was a gamble. No doubt. Preds lost that gamble.

Think of a first rounder and prospect we've couldve had for him

It sucks but you know what Kessel and phaenuf both resigned with a crap team and suter didn't with a cup contending team. That should've been the writing on the wall.
It wasn't really a gamble it's just hockey. Or sports for that matter. I have to wonder how many teams in any sport would trade one of their best players because he's in the last year of his deal when you have a shot at a title. Almost none?

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
It wasn't really a gamble it's just hockey. Or sports for that matter. I have to wonder how many teams in any sport would trade one of their best players because he's in the last year of his deal when you have a shot at a title. Almost none?

Callahan for St. Louis

Rangers made the cup finals but Tampa won the trade, Callahan is the better player, but they got something for a UFA who they probably gonna lose anyways.

Edit to add:
http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/hoc...ade-callahan-tampa-st-louis-article-1.1711389

Callahan wanted a NTC on a extension and rangers said no.

Last edited:

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Looks like the depth moved helps us out now with weber out.

That's all I wanted in this signing was to have franson as depth for injury or performance.

Hopefully he can perform long term in the playoffs.

leova

Feb 28, 2008
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/4/...like-someone-disconnected-his-xbox-controller

controller.0.gif

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Franson is probably one of those guys that plays better the bigger the role he is in, because Friday he was great and Sunday was solid. I still love him as a player, but no way is he a dominate defender. Great depth on our D, we just hurt a lot without Weber.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Franson has been good, I must say (other than the above gaff).

Our defense as a whole has been pretty good in general although Josi and Jones put up a stinker on Sunday. Ellis and Ekholm have looked fantastic especially.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it was an extraordinarily dumb play from a veteran. even if you 'think' it was an offsides for sure, you use that to your advantage by trying to run a breakout while the guy is trapped in your zone. no pass from me on that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad