Is it time to call up Morin, Sanheim or Hagg?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Post trade deadline, give them each a taste of NHL action. Give them each 2-3 games, one at a time. Kind of like some baseball teams do giving guys 5-10 games once the team is out of contention.

Those handful of games are less about seeing what they can do and more about giving them a chance to see how the NHL team is run and the speed of the NHL vs AHL. That way next year they are more comfortable when their real call up comes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/flyers/mc-flyers-konecny-injury-0207-20170207-story.html
At the same time, there are some who wonder if the Flyers might be able to energize their attack if they called up one of their promising defensemen, such as a Travis Sanheim or a Sam Morin.

Sanheim, the No. 1-rated prospect in the Flyers' system (according to The Hockey News), has been lighting it up offensively for the Phantoms, with 7-15-22 and a plus-8.

But Hextall sounds loath to bring up one of these youngsters if they're not going to see regular ice time.

"There's no push," Hextall said recently. "Why bring him [Sanheim[ up here for spot duty when he can play 20 minutes a night down there?"

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I voted no the only dman that maybe should come up is hagg if we sell at the trade deadline. Keep Morin and sanheim down in LV away from this dumpster fire team and bring them both up next year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I call BS, although I'm not saying bring them up. It'd probably help our draft position to NOT bring them up and seems pointless for this year. And Hextall clearly doesn't want to, so they can have their career-changing experience in the AHL playoffs. It's probably why they're talking up Hagg and want him up first. He's 100% replaceable down there without messing up the AHL playoff run.

....BUT Brandon Manning receives the lowest average TOI/game at 18 minutes. Streit's 20 minutes, which should absolutely disappear at the deadline if they're smart, are up for grabs and not exactly high caliber in quality and high intensity in usage. The difference between our highest and lowest average TOI is not large. Provorov only gets 21.5 minutes for the season and 22.5 the last couple months. Spot duty? His minutes probably would be equal.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I am surprised there are so many yes votes. The only reason I would call someone up is if they end up trading two d-men by the deadline and/or injuries happen. Then I would call up someone like Hagg to see what he has and leave Morin/Sanheim in the AHL this season to develop.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am surprised there are so many yes votes. The only reason I would call someone up is if they end up trading two d-men by the deadline and/or injuries happen. Then I would call up someone like Hagg to see what he has and leave Morin/Sanheim in the AHL this season to develop.

I think a lot of us have been expecting that to happen and that may explain a lot of the yes votes. I just want them to develop properly and don't want them up before they are ready - whenever they are ready, that's when I want to see them. If they are ready now and don't come up until next season, that's fine too. I knew this season was going to reek (although I didn't know it would reek this bad), so it's no big deal.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I wouldn't assume high odds that we can move more than 1 dman at the deadline here anyways. I'd choose not to resort to calling up Hagg this year simply to avoid exposing him and inflating his expansion draft value. If he comes up and shows he can stick around playing some high percentage hockey then it's going to highlight him among our other slim offerings to Vegas. Suffering through both Amac's and Manning's eligibility quests will be instantly swept for none. The relevance that he would provide the big club isn't even worth putting a spotlight on him. If he comes up and succeeds that only serves to worsen our draft position while increasing the odds of losing him to the ED.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hagg is exempt from the expansion draft. His first year didn't count towards his expansion draft eligibility as it was considered a junior aged season as he was a 19/20 year old. Similar to what made his contract slide that year.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Oh well that's solid, I thought he had to be exposed for whatever reason but I haven't given too much thought to the expansion draft yet. If Hagg isn't eligible then I guess it's be fun to see him come up then but I still doubt we can move 2 dmen, but if we can we should. This season wasn't supposed to go much smoother than this in the original plan and it didn't get the luck to deviate from that. I'd be happy to give a taste of the big league to any of Morin, Hagg, or Sanheim, even if just planned for a few games each.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I voted yes for Hagg specifically. We should be able to trade a few dmen for whatver. As is I think Hagg could take mannings spot. If we trade others I am fine having Hagg and manning on. If there is another spot I'd like to see Morin here. I know that people are saying they should get more time in the AHL but aren't they getting second pair time there? May as well get them 2-3 pair minutes here and get them broken in. It would have a big benefit.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
No reason to call up the youngsters unless it's for a taste due to an injury. No benefit in making them think they can, or should even try, to rescue the current bad situation. Standard call-up for injuries sure, otherwise no.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People saying "let's just call him up, let's just see" forget that if Hextall had it all his way, Ghost would not have remained on the NHL roster last year himself. No one's being called up for ***** and giggles, and I'd bet that if someone needed to be called up because of injuries, it would be Brennan.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I agree that I could see them just calling up Brennan if it came to it. I don't think it's a big deal though, if any of our prospects got a small preset amount of games to get a glance where they're at and give them something to be excited about then send them back down to take part in the run they're putting together on the farm. If you're clear with them from the start about it not being a chance to stick and just a few games to get a look for us and its also an exciting bonus for them that would likely just add fuel to their fire to break into the NHL after the run and off-season.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brennan? Because?

Takes the crutch away from the other defenseman on the Phantoms as to give them more opportunities. Hextall is going to be very conservative in exposing them to the NHL.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I wouldn't be slightly disappointed if Brennan were called up opposed to the kids. It's the safe play on the kids and as mentioned by posters above, it really would help to gain better draft position. It would also serve to reaffirm Hextall's commitment to patience and rebuild.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At least if Brennan was called up they would be close to guaranteed a top ten pick.

If he plays 15 minutes the other team are scoring 2 goals with him on ice.

Only half joking.

His GF% is the 4th worst of any Dman who has played 700+ minutes of TOI 5v5 this decade.

His GA/60 is 5th worst.

That is from ~400 Dmen.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's painful enough to watch Manning, watching him AND Brennan would probably kill me.

Both are AHL scorers but even at that level they are far below average defensively. Neither should be in the NHL.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
From a psychological standpoint, the best card to play at that point would be to boycott Flyers games and watch the value of our picks rise.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Only to blame for 3 of the 4 goals against tonight. :laugh:

He's just a dumb player that is undisciplined in everything he does down there. His skating isn't the greatest either. His whole game is basically predicated around his shot in the offensive zone.

I laugh at Dave Isaac thinking the lack of teams is the reason Brennan isn't in the NHL. Because you know the Flyers just have a bunch of world beaters on their NHL roster. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad